PDA

View Full Version : Warning Speedtester and RPGs blocked!!

VirginOnInsaniy
25-11-2007, 23:57
I know this is a ADSL issue but I have been asked to make a post because it might be coming to Virgin cable customers sometime soon.

My Kids online RPGs stopped working on Friday (Fly for fun and Fiesta) The service has been real poor lately so I usually reboot my router till i get a better bam show up on "Ping Plotter". None of the other bams fixed the problem despite getting some better than usual pings.

I have had good pings before with really poor download speeds, so I ran the "Thinkbroadband" speed tester. But It wouldnt complete the test! unless port 80 was selected.

I spent the rest of the night trying to figure out what was going on I even dug out my old Speedtouch modem just in case my router was playing up.

Around 2 AM the games and the speed tester started working again. It looked like Virgin ADSL was port blocking at peak times.

Next day the block was back on, so I rang Virgin to have it sorted. A very nice guy checked my account and confirmed there was no restrictions on it. But did say a new filtering system started on Friday and "NO" there's nothing he could do about it. A least I knew the problem was not on my end.

That night at 1AM all started working again.

I have been with Virgin ADSL broadband since they started and used to get a 4 meg download speeds when ADSL max was enabled. This year its been going slowly downhill, sometimes getting 100k connections to some servers! Rebooting can usually get a quicker connection, most of the time.

This filtering is a real disturbing turn. I have two autistic kids who live for their online games and miss the friends they have made on them. They can't stay up till 1AM.

I'm so disgusted I'm changing ISP but I'm stuck with Virgin for the next 9 days. Any ideas on how to get round this? any suggestions are more that welcome.

Again I know its only affecting ADSL customers at the moment! But I might be saving someone that premium rate call to Virgin with this post.

Thanks in advance.

Stuart
26-11-2007, 00:02
I'd be surprised if they were blocking online games and speedtest sites. I think it's another issue (although I don't know what) and the Customer Service person just said it was being filtered so he/she could clear the call.

punky
26-11-2007, 00:03
:welcome: to the forum :)

EvilJeff
26-11-2007, 00:14
I agree with the original post, I usually play Flyff (Online RPG) with my brother most evenings, but since Friday he has been unable to connect with his Virgin ADSL connection, while I can connect fine on cable.

Looks like the thin end of the wedge !!!!

VirginOnInsaniy
26-11-2007, 00:28
I totally agree. It looks like its not a deliberate mistake on Virgins side. But implementing a new filtering system late on a Friday when senor staff will probably have the weekend off! sounds like grossly bad working practice.

Not having a fall back for call center staff to help out in the event of problems is real poor forward planing too.

I could be real cynical and wonder how much Virgin has made on premium rate calls for help.

Stuart
26-11-2007, 00:37
I totally agree. It looks like its not a deliberate mistake on Virgins side. But implementing a new filtering system late on a Friday when senor staff will probably have the weekend off! sounds like grossly bad working practice.

It is something that Virgin tend not to do. I can't speak for ADSL, but any major changes to the cable network are scheduled for when they are likely to have more staff in (this is why they don't tend to schedule major upgrades for weekends, bank holidays or for a couple of weeks around Christmas).

I am not denying that there is some sort of issue (clearly, there is), but I doubt they would introduce a major system change (which filtering would be) on a Friday afternoon, and we have had reports of many occassions when a CSR says the wrong thing (sometimes to get you off the phone, and their call rates up, and sometimes because they either don't know or have been given wrong information).

Also, didn't mean to be rude. As Gavin said, :welcome: to the forum.

VirginOnInsaniy
26-11-2007, 01:29
Thanks for the welcome no offense taken ;) I'm happy to get a response this late in the day.

It took me a while to realize that was going on. I have spent hours trying to resolve the problem thinking it was at my end.

Clearly something is going on and its not just me. There are reports on the Thinkbroadband forums of problems starting on Friday with other games not working and webcams running real slow despite better than usual ping times!

I just hope its resolved real soon.

Without knowing the cause of the problem resolving it is highly unlikely.

I had hoped that there might be hack or work around to get the kids back online.

Just to show its not just me. check out these links from other Virgin customers

link one (http://bbs.adslguide.org.uk/showthreaded.php?Cat=&Board=virgin_adsl&Number=3193551&page=0&view=expanded&sb=5&o=0)

link 2 (http://bbs.adslguide.org.uk/showthreaded.php?Cat=&Board=virgin_adsl&Number=3194133&page=0&view=expanded&sb=5&o=0)

There are a lot more with the same problems I'm having, so I'm not the only one.

Even knowing how to get in contact with someone at Virgin who can fix it but is unaware as the support staff don't think there is a problem might help?

Thanks again for the prompt reply

Nilrem
26-11-2007, 20:36
Given how little data tends to be needed for online RPG's i'd guess the problem is more likely a problem in the routing at some point.

I've been playing Ultima Online for about 7 years and at various times there have been major issues affecting players in certain areas/isp's that turned out to be due to routing issues outside the ISP's network (from memory in one case many players using popular european isp's were being routed to the US and back to London, and another time one of the routers along the way wasn't able to make the connection to one set of servers, resulting in players being unable to connect).
Depending on the game you might be able to force it to try using another port, UO for example has multiple possible ports it can use, and changing them can work at times.

VirginOnInsaniy
27-11-2007, 11:43
Thanks for your thoughts on rerouting. I have been closely watching the connection speeds on Monday from 8AM. Flyff played fine and I was pleased to be getting a 4Mb connection.

When I returned from picking up the kids from school at around 4:14PM Flyff had started to lag so bad it became unplayable. The "ThinkBroadband" Speed tester (on port 8095) showed a connection speed of just 84k! rerunning the test several showed top speed of 100k. Rerunning it again on port 80 showed a speed of 4Mb.

At this point I could still log into the game, it was just too laggy to play. Later the connection failed and I was no longer able to get back into the game. The speed tester stopped working on port 8095 at the same time. This went on till about 1:05 am well past peak time, and the kids bedtimes.

To me this looks like port 8095 is being throttled late afternoon and choked to death around tea time. Flyff must be on the same group of ports VM had take a dislike to.

So far I have not been able to find away to change the port the game works on. Their website states that ISPS blocking their site is a known issue but has no advice to resolving this.

Thats me out of ideas.All suggestions welcome

Goddeh
28-11-2007, 13:49
Hi, I play a Eve-Online (MMORPG) and noticed a thread on the game's forum that might be related to your problem.

http://myeve.eve-online.com/ingameboard.asp?a=topic&threadID=645596

Being having serious high latencies in EVE for the past few days. however my broadband speeds were good.

I got in touch with my ISP Virgin Media and explained the problem. What i heard was shocking and I will be interested to see if anyone else on Virgin ADSL has been effected.

Basically Virgin have introduced what they call a 'Developer Prioritising System' and programs that are not set for high priorities by developer will come down the line really slow to make way for more important traffic.

Virgin say that they have only introduced it recently and it is only active on ADSL. They also told me that it was upto the developers of certain programmes to set their applications priorities as high to avoid being throttled by this new system.

They say the system has only been implemented in the east of england so far but will be implemented on the rest of the network within the coming weeks.

I'm on VM Cable myself and haven't had any issues like this, but I'm sure it's just a matter of time before this rolls out on cable too.

snazzy
28-11-2007, 17:37
We play War Craft online, and for months we have had two times in the day when it can go to pot. 1:30 in the afternoon, and about 6:30 at night. The connection is slow slow at times I can't even get my email. Tech support is nigh on useless. I'm giving it until the new year, then I'll write a few strong words to them. If I can't get satisfaction of some degree I'll pull all three services.

I have had three box changes, that I never asked for and a load of messing about with TS and changing settings. It never gets fix and always goes back to the same fault. Major slowdowns.

VirginOnInsaniy
30-11-2007, 02:26
I got sick waiting for Virgin to resolve My port blocking issue, so I gave the Remote Assistance a try. Guess what its not working, maybe they're blocking that port too.

I tried the email help, not expecting too much. How wrong I was! The reply said I was a heavy user who had been capped, strange as my account was fine when I rang up customer support on Saturday. I'm not heavy downloader, one podcast a day and a game demo once in a blue moon is about my limit, Oh and lots of online gaming.

Thats me totally cheesed off with Virgin ADSL. Everybody makes mistakes, thats when the good companys shine. But reducing my service, forcing me to ring premium rate numbers to fix it and then bulshiting me is just too much.

They're no longer fit to be an ISP. They have shown zero interest in serving their longstanding customers from my experience. I'm moving to an ISP with free phone support and leave Virgin too commit Commercial suicide.

Thinking about sticking with Virgin check out my request for help and answer

YOU are port throttling/blocking the online game "Fly for fun" between the hours of approximately 16.00 and midnight weekdays and all of last weekend. This started last Friday

You are also blocking the "ThinkBroadband" speed tester at the same time, fortunately this has an option to use port 80 when you are blocking port 8095.

I understand you are trying to improve the service but you have stopped my autistic son playing his MMRPG in the evenings and weekends. He lives for this and the friends he has made in the game.

I rang your customer support on Saturday, but was unable to help during the weekend. It is now Wednesday and the problem persists.

Let me be crystal clear on this, the game works perfectly fine during off peak hours.

Also if I get an automated reply I will be getting in touch with OFCOM and Watchdog in that order.

As a long term Virgin customer I am very disappointed with your service in resolving the matter so far.

Thank you in advance for any help you can offer.

Mr **********

Virgins automated reply

Dear Customer

The issues you are having is in regard to our fair usage policy, between the hours of 4pm and midnight you have had the speed of your connection reduced, as a result of the amount you are downloading.

Below i have enclosed a copy of the traffic management details, which you agreed to when taking out the service.

Here at Virgin Media, we want all our customers to get the best service possible from their broadband.

When someone is downloading a particularly large amount of information over a long period of time, it can slow down the Internet speed for other users who might just be checking their email or browsing online.

So to make sure our service is fair for everybody, we sometimes moderate the speeds during peak times (4pm till midnight) for customers who are downloading an unusually large amount at these times. It is a method for identifying our heaviest users and temporarily reducing their download speeds during our peak (busiest) periods. We'll start moderating the heaviest users' service from mid-July.

This ensures that the service doesn't get blocked up with people using more than their fair share - which means a lot fewer traffic jams on the information superhighway.

We have provided some answers below to the questions that we feel some of our customers may have.

Will there be any change to the cost of my service?

No, there will be no change in the cost of your broadband service what so ever.

How exactly does this improve my connection speeds and download speeds?

Traffic management is all about making better services available at great value to the average customer.

Around 5% of our customers use up to 70% of our bandwidth during busy periods. By managing this traffic we can limit the impact of heavy usage by limiting the speeds at peak times for this select minority that really hit the network hard when it's at its busiest.

This will have a positive affect, helping to improve download speeds for the average customer by reducing the congestion in the network and enable us to deliver better quality services at much better value to the vast majority of our customers.

Will my download speed be affected?

We run a weekly report to determine the top 5% of our heaviest peak time users. These users are then Traffic Managed for 7 days. Every 7 days we refresh the list of heavy users to ensure we are only addressing those people who are placing the heaviest demand on the network during busy periods.

Your speed won't be moderated unless you're in the top 5% of downloaders. Our boffins recently ran a trial to see how much our service was being affected. They discovered that, in certain areas, just 5% of customers were downloading such a large amount of content that it was affecting the service for other users in these areas.
And we're not talking about just a few video clips. In some cases the top 5% of users were downloading as much as 3GB, just during peak times. That's around 750 music tracks in the space of a few hours.

So, unless you're downloading an unusually large amount of information at peak times, we won't restrict your service and you can download to your heart's content.

You can view the updated terms & conditions by visitng the following address:

http://www.virgin.net/terms/bb_bundle_tc.html

If you would like further information on Traffic Management please visit our FAQ's page by visiting the following address:

http://www.virgin.net/allyours/faqs/traffic_faqs.html

If you need any further assistance please contact us again, or visit the following address:

http://www.virgin.net/helpme/

Many Thanks

Alex

Virgin Media Customer Support

My reply so far

When I rang customer support on Saturday 23rd I was informed by your
representative that NO RESTRICTIONS where on my account!

If you have restricted my account why was I not informed?
I am not a heavy user! I am massively under your fair use policy.
You have not reduced the speed of my connection, it runs fine on port 80 you
have TOTAL BLOCKED port 8095.

HAVE YOU ACTUALLY CHECKED MY ACCOUNT

I demand you remove any restriction on my account NOW!!!!

You are severely upsetting my autistic son by your actions. I am disgusted at
Virgins inability resolve what is probably a simple mistake for a long
standing customer.

I looking forward to you reply

Mr *******

Paul
30-11-2007, 08:49
I'm afraid that sending demands like that is not likely to get you vey far.

VirginOnInsaniy
30-11-2007, 18:12
Your right, who am I to demand the service I have paid for?
Asking real nice an being patient has worked out real well so far.

All I ask is the service I have paid for, nothing more! All I have received from Virgin is lies and bullshit.

I have spent a fortune on the premium rate support line trying to resolve this only to hear a different story every time I ring up.

If you know the magic words to get Virgin to act like an ISP that gives a dam PLEASE share them with me.

I do feel real sorry for the support staff, I know they are under paid, poorly trained and have a high staff turnover (I have family who worked for NTL) BUT thats not helping me resolve what is probably a simple problem or misunderstanding.

Sorry for the rant but its been like banging your head against a brick wall getting this issue resolved.

And Thanks to the Virgin CABLE guys for trying to help out.

I'm moving ISP on Monday

VirginOnInsaniy
02-12-2007, 13:52
The seven days of punishment for the being an alleged heavy user passed on Friday. The service was unchanged Friday and Saturday but has improved slightly today, Sunday. I can now get dial up speeds on the problem ports.
I found the speedtester at http://myspeed.visualware.com/vr/index.htmlbest for such a slow connection. Ping is 60 ms and port 80 speed 1.1Mb

When my new ISP takes over on Monday I'll Post a comparison.

brundles
02-12-2007, 21:01
Hi, I play a Eve-Online (MMORPG) and noticed a thread on the game's forum that might be related to your problem.

http://myeve.eve-online.com/ingameboard.asp?a=topic&threadID=645596

I'm on VM Cable myself and haven't had any issues like this, but I'm sure it's just a matter of time before this rolls out on cable too.

Just saw this and the reference to a "Developer Prioritising System" caught my eye. Are they talking about running standards based IP QoS or something completely different?

idi banashapan
02-12-2007, 23:03
i get issues during the day trying to play Crysis online - I simply cannot connect to ANY server I try, yet come later in the evening, it connects fine. I pay for 20Mb, and as I type, speedtesters are averaging around 1.5Mbps on my connection (I've used 3 to get that result). All I do is random surfing (mainly bbc.co.uk), check mail with Outlook and play a couple of games (not even everyday). I very rarely have the need to download anything. If I do, it's likely to be a game patch. ok - so that might be a large file (sometimes 100Mb or so), but it's not every day.. nor week... nor even every month... so what's the deal Virgin Media??

EvilJeff
15-04-2008, 11:18
Looks like the thin end of the wedge !!!!

Prophetic words :doh:

It has now started on Cable.

I started having problems getting dissconnected from Flyff on Thursday evening. Using Ping Plotter I discovered the connection to the server is being blocked for approx 10-15 minutes about every 70 minutes. This makes the game almost un-playable since you lose about an hours experience by being killed when unexpectedly dissconnected.

Tehnical support did their best and advised me to connect my cable modem directly to my PC (standard answer). which strangely works! no more dropouts!

Problem is my daughter also plays the game, so a single PC isn't much use.

I thought maybe I need a new router, but before committing myself to wasted expenditure asked a friend who also has Virgin cable to try with his home setup (also using a router). Lo and behold... exactly the same blocking at exactly the same times! We both use different makes of router, so not likely to be a design issue.

Also the blocking starts third hop in at an NTL IP address.

I know it isn't the game servers going down since I chat with my brother using voip while playing and he has no problems (Since he switched from Virgin ADSL to BT).

I would be gratefull if anyone could try running a ping plot to 64.147.162.103 (the games login server) for several hours and let me know if they experience these mysterious dropouts, especially if you are in the Swansea area.

I'd like to get to the bottom of this, since I really don't want to say goodbye to Virgin, who have provided a reliable service for many years.

CrowmanUK
15-04-2008, 12:03
Forget phoning, they'll just pass your round different departments racking up your phone bill if my experience is anything to go by and if they say they'll call you back then they definitely wont, they changed the Fair use policy over the weekend too, see my post here http://www.cableforum.co.uk/board/12/33631301-adsl-traffic-management.html

there was a new clause written into the fair use policy too, here it is in all its glory

Application Management:
Application Management is really simple. We have a set of rules that manages how much bandwidth is allocated to a specific list of applications and protocols during peak periods. The rules apply to everyone on the network who is using these application and protocols during the peak period. Outside of peak periods, Application Management does not apply. Right now, the peak period for Application Management is Monday to Friday 4pm till 1am, and all day at the weekend.

Peak periods for Application Management may vary from time to time. This enables us to adapt the service to seasonal variations in demand, as well as the ever-changing ways in which customers use the internet.

EvilJeff
15-04-2008, 12:37
Thanks for the info, unfortunately this site is being blocked outside these hours.
9.25 this morning and again at 10:25 and 11:20 each time for 10-15 mins.:mis:

VirginOnInsaniy
15-04-2008, 15:57
I moved to BTinternet In December after suffering a total lack of interest from Virgin ADSL support after FLYFF was blocked FLYFF during peak hours.

Your filtering problems sound eerily familiar to my own. Don't waste money on premium rate helpline calls, you will be told its a filtering problem and they cant do anything about it. This happened on ADSL late last year.

Time to change ISP im afraid. Virgin was once a great ISP, when I joined it was on a month contract! they where so confident in there service. Sadly long gone now along with Richard Branson and respect for there customers needs.

I can't see why anyone stays with them! Their customer service is appalling, their filtering is shockingly implemented and their usage policy can slow you down to 80k!! and im not talking about going over any fair use limits.

You might want to consider Carphone Warehouse, Like the EU they don't see why users should loose there broadband at the request of the entertainment industry...(Virgin was the first to sign up)

Or BT? I was rewarded with a free wireless phone and a freview PVR when I joined. Oh and this month their doing a Blackberry type Mobile for a fiver a month.

Sky has free 2mb service and an unlimited 16Mb broadband for £10 a month!

As you can see some ISPs reward customer loyalty. Others never miss an opportunity to stick it to them.

f

EvilJeff
15-04-2008, 21:50
Thanks, looks like I'll be going down that route. As has been said, speaking to Technical Support will get me nowhere since the staff involved have no idea about the blocking activities higher management have implemented.

---------- Post added at 21:50 ---------- Previous post was at 21:19 ----------

For anyone who may be interested in the problem, here's a plot taken this morning on my PC.

http://wwkks.swan.ac.uk/uploads/photos/64-147-162-103-home.jpg

And here's a plot taken at the same time on my friends PC, 9 miles away, at the other side of swansea.

http://wwkks.swan.ac.uk/uploads/photos/64-147-162-103-carl.jpg

For those not conversant with Ping Plotter, the red blocks on the bottom bar graph indicate periods of no connection.

Clearly not a problem with my router, (although by-passing it does get rid of the dropouts)

And clearly the tech support statement that "We aren't blocking anything, we're not allowed too" is misfounded.

Welshchris
15-04-2008, 21:52
ive noticed that Steam online games are very sluggish and getting pings around 170.

jamiefrost
15-04-2008, 21:58
Slightly confused how can it be Virgins fault if you say it works when you connect direct your PC directly to your modem? :confused: Surly if the fault goes away when you remove the the router from the network it points to a problem with the router??

As for support forget ringing the helpline (Is it free now?) goto to the support news group you should be abel to gat some help from them quickly and they do know what they ar doing.

JJ

EvilJeff
15-04-2008, 22:14
the point is that a friend who has a different router is getting the same dropouts at exactly the same time! how can it be my router?
He hasn't even played the game, so it can't be a matter of blocking users with high usage of the site.

Incidentaly, during a dropout the packets get as far as hop 3. If the router was faulty, how would they get that far ?

---------- Post added at 22:09 ---------- Previous post was at 22:03 ----------

Here's an example when the blocking cut's in

http://wwkks.swan.ac.uk/uploads/photos/Ping-Flyff-Blocked.jpg

---------- Post added at 22:14 ---------- Previous post was at 22:09 ----------

Also, if you ping the penultimate IP, no dropouts. So they must be targeting the game site !

jamiefrost
15-04-2008, 22:28
Can't explain it, but if you are saying you can solve the problem by taking the router out how can the site be blocked? :confused:

Doesn't make sense for the site to be blocked for 15mins every, just from a logistical point of view seems to overly complicated. I would of thought if they were going to block somethnig it would stay blocked or block it for a number of hours.

Not saying there isn't an issue somewhere I'd give the news groups a try

JJ

EvilJeff
15-04-2008, 22:38
I'll try the News Groups, but don't hold up much hope.

I'd earlier invited anyone willing to help to try ping plotting this IP themselves for a couple of hours. Any takers ?

Would be interesting to see if this is a widespread problem or just in the Swansea area!

You can download pingplotter from http://www.pingplotter.com it's a very useful tool!

Druchii
16-04-2008, 00:51
I'll try the News Groups, but don't hold up much hope.

I'd earlier invited anyone willing to help to try ping plotting this IP themselves for a couple of hours. Any takers ?

Would be interesting to see if this is a widespread problem or just in the Swansea area!

You can download pingplotter from http://www.pingplotter.com it's a very useful tool!
You sure the router isn't blocking access as it's deeming the site as "attacking" you? Most routers would do the same thing. Add a software firewall to the PC, and disable the hardware firewall in the router (also called SPI firewall). See if the problem continues!

EvilJeff
16-04-2008, 01:03
have set SPI firewall off on router... will have to wait about 30 mins for the next outage, will let you know what hapens :)

Seems unlikely however that the router would see the site as "attacking" only 10-15 mins per hour... we'll wait & see !

Druchii
16-04-2008, 01:05
have set SPI firewall off on router... will have to wait about 30 mins for the next outage, will let you know what hapens :)
Ok, cool :) I'll probably still be awake.

Nilrem
16-04-2008, 01:14
Is it happening when just one of the PC's connected to the router is playing?

It's not something i've ever even heard of as being down to an ISP's deliberate action (as I think i've said before online gaming uses absolutely minimal amounts of bandwidth, so would be about the last thing any ISP would deliberately block*).

As for routers, at number of different makes use the same basic parts, so router A might be made by Belkin, but have the same chipsets or networking chips as routers B and C made by Netgear and Linksys.
I know for example a couple of years back World of Warcraft had an issue with (I think) the drivers for Broadcom chips used in a number of routers for the WAN Connection, you would connect fine, then after a few minutes you would stop being able to interact with anything (but the connection wouldn't drop) - the answer in that case was to try different firmwares for the routers (to either earlier or later ones that used different drivers).

I've also seen a similar problem with Ultima Online where out of 3 computers in the same house, running off the same router one would "stall" whilst playing, but not lose connection - but only on the one Server (all the servers are meant to be near identical hardware), it turned out a change in the hardware at the location of one of the servers was locking out Marvel Yukon 10/100/1000 network devices, but only on the one server location (a change to another server, or fitting a very cheap realtek network card would fix it - although it was fixed at the server end after a while).
If I hadn't been able to test the connection with other machines, servers and network cards I would probably have blamed NTL (as was) for it.

Changing ISP can result in either avoiding the problem point, or because you get a different router (or ASDL modem).

I guess what i'm saying is don't be too fast to blame Virgin, as the common point of failure can still be a component of the routers (especially if you're not getting the problem at all when not using the router**), even when the routers are sold under different brands (there are only a very small number of companies that actually make the chipsets used).

*I suspect they would all prefer users to play a week of WoW than 15 minutes of full speed downloading (you're talking something under 5-10mb per hour for online gaming, unless there is a patch);)

**That might even be down to a game server not being able to perform some check on your machine (punkbuster sometimes has fun with home networks).

EvilJeff
16-04-2008, 01:33
Thanks for the info, most of which I agree with, however if it's a router problem, how come the trail stops 3 hops in at a VM/NTL IP?

If it's a router problem, you'd expect the trail to stop at the router.

If it's a server problem, you'd expect the trail to stop one hop before the server.

I still suspect that VM can detect if you are using a router and block the site accordingly, however absurd that may seem !

Druchii
16-04-2008, 01:38
Thanks for the info, most of which I agree with, however if it's a router problem, how come the trail stops 3 hops in at a VM/NTL IP?

If it's a router problem, you'd expect the trail to stop at the router.

If it's a server problem, you'd expect the trail to stop one hop before the server.

I still suspect that VM can detect if you are using a router and block the site accordingly, however absurd that may seem !
There have been cases of calls from India ending in "It's all down to that wireless router i see you have". Which is odd. IIRC i think a company did come up with a way to determine if a router was in use though...

EvilJeff
16-04-2008, 01:45
Overdue a dropout now by 10 mins... unfortunately bedtime for me.
Will leave the plot running overnight & let you know in the morning!
It has been known to go 2 hours at a time between dropouts.

Druchii
16-04-2008, 02:20
Overdue a dropout now by 10 mins... unfortunately bedtime for me.
Will leave the plot running overnight & let you know in the morning!
It has been known to go 2 hours at a time between dropouts.
Ok, cool :) Let me know in the morning.

EvilJeff
16-04-2008, 07:33
Less than normal, but still 2 10 min blocks overnight at 4:07 and 6:47.

MoroccoMole
16-04-2008, 13:58
EvilJeff - Which make and model of router are you running?

Cheers,

MM.

EvilJeff
16-04-2008, 14:30
It's a Netgear with Wireless, about 3 yrs old. Can't remember the exact model & since I'm at work, and seem to have lost my remote connection, can't find out till I get home.

Will post the model then!

Druchii
16-04-2008, 14:31
Less than normal, but still 2 10 min blocks overnight at 4:07 and 6:47.
So it may well be something to do with the router crapping out at certain periods then, although why this happens will probably remain a mystery.

EvilJeff
16-04-2008, 16:33
The biggest mystery is why a friend gets identical dropouts at exactly the same time !

My router is a Netgear WGR614 v4

Btw, although is seemed improved to start, things have turned worse!
Almost continuous block since about 11:15 this morning till now!

Toto
16-04-2008, 16:46
The biggest mystery is why a friend gets identical dropouts at exactly the same time !

Hi EvilJeff.

I looked at your ping plotter, and the higher latency times start with abovenet, and seem to continue inside their subnet range. Why that should not be the case when you connect directly to your modem is a mystery to me, but it does appear to be a peering issue.

Druchii
16-04-2008, 16:56

Btw, although is seemed improved to start, things have turned worse!
Almost continuous block since about 11:15 this morning till now!
Have you got the latest fimrware? Available form the Netgear site IIRC.

Set everything back to how it was, the routers PSI firewall is useful, and we know it's not that causing it now.

---------- Post added at 17:56 ---------- Previous post was at 17:55 ----------

Hi EvilJeff.

I looked at your ping plotter, and the higher latency times start with abovenet, and seem to continue inside their subnet range. Why that should not be the case when you connect directly to your modem is a mystery to me, but it does appear to be a peering issue.
You appear to be spot on. VM's peering again being the cause? tut.

Toto
16-04-2008, 16:57
You appear to be spot on. VM's peering again being the cause? tut.

Certainly looks that way.

EvilJeff
16-04-2008, 23:26
@ toto

This isn't a question of latency, the game plays quite happily with a ping of 200 or more.

More a question of the traffic being completely blocked !

Today has been particularly bad, I'll see if I can post a plot to demonstrate.

---------- Post added at 22:32 ---------- Previous post was at 22:16 ----------

http://wwkks.swan.ac.uk/uploads/photos/64-147-162-103-16-04-2008.jpg

---------- Post added at 23:26 ---------- Previous post was at 22:32 ----------

@ Druchii

Have installed latest firmware on router from Netgear site (V5.0_07)... see if it makes any difference now :)

MoroccoMole
17-04-2008, 09:54
As you're getting intermittent ping and intermittent game timeouts, me thinks it looks like a simple routing problem somewhere in VM/Abovenet's networks rather than an effort by VM to control your access to your game.

MM

EvilJeff
17-04-2008, 11:05
Had much better service yesterday evening & overnight, hardly any dropouts.
Not sure if this is due to a routing change or updating the firmware.

Can't see how it can be between above.net and VM when the ping is blocked it's at hop 3 which is smack in the middle of the NTL/VM system.