PDA

View Full Version : Should I updrade from 4mb to 20mb? Please advise

deed02392
25-11-2007, 22:44
I would like to know a little about upgrading from 4mb to 20mb... I asked my dad if he would as my main christmas present, so I don't want this to be a mistake! I've heard some people upgrading from 4mb to 20mb and experiencing slower speeds. I currently get all of my speedtests at the max end of my connection, with a very good Quality of Service (according to MySpeed).

If within the first month the speed is appalling, what would I do to go about downgrading again? I suppose by then, that would be my christmas present gone, however, and my dreams of another few gigs of ram crushed!

Thanks in advance!

:D

homealone
25-11-2007, 22:58
Get the ram, instead, imo - my 4Mb connection is great, but the horror stories about 20Mb have put me off upgrading - and there are the rumours of a 4 to 10Mb upgrade 'soon' to think about, as well :)

bopdude
25-11-2007, 23:06
Get the ram, instead, imo - my 4Mb connection is great, but the horror stories about 20Mb have put me off upgrading - and there are the rumours of a 4 to 10Mb upgrade 'soon' to think about, as well :)

I would second that, if your 4 meg is stable and it does what you need why bother ? Like the saying says, don't try and fix what's not broken. On 4 meg here and happy with it, I don't try and up and or download the whole net anymore so it suits me :tu:

4 to 10 meg would be nice, as long as the speeds are good, not wanting to turn this into another speed thread :nono:

ECW_Original
25-11-2007, 23:13
I would second that, if your 4 meg is stable and it does what you need why bother ? Like the saying says, don't try and fix what's not broken. On 4 meg here and happy with it, I don't try and up and or download the whole net anymore so it suits me :tu:

4 to 10 meg would be nice, as long as the speeds are good, not wanting to turn this into another speed thread :nono:

Third it!!

deed02392
26-11-2007, 08:05
Well, I heavily use P2P programs, and HTTP download links often get a battering from my IP! Also, we have several computers here that often run simultaneously connected to the internet. I suppose what I'm really asking is what are the odds it'll be crap considering I live in Portsmouth? My only concern is the speed being significantly lower than 20mb, but i would be plenty happy if it hovered around 8mbps more often than not. What about that??

colmm
27-11-2007, 11:02
Hi,

I upgraded from 4 to 20, its ok, but speed drops a lot (down to 2mb sometimes)
Stayed up to 4:00am and got 18Mb (constant)

Im going to cancel as get 30 days with Virgin.
Wanted to get better speeeds for COD4 but 20mb doesn't get any better on Live.

C

huyi
27-11-2007, 14:44
hell no! stay on 4mb as long as you can! i've been on 20mb and the speeds were appalling.

Numenor
27-11-2007, 14:56
Heres an opinion from the other side

I always had trouble with my speed, even on the 10MB I could only get max of about 5-6MB. I called Telewest at the time and ranted for ages about my speed and how it isnt fair like a lot of people on this site, and guess what. It was my own fault.

I was using a USB cable to connect my modem to my comp, I changed it to an Ethernet cable and instantly my speed maxed out at 10MB. Now on 20MB I constantly download at 2.4Mb/s. Speed is great, never had any slowdown and I find it 100% reliable.

If I were you, Id post your Postcode and try and find other users who have 20MB near you. See if they have speed troubles or if It runs smoothly.

What you also could do is, upgrade to 20MB, it usually takes minutes to activate, give your internet a try, do a few speedtests and download a few files. If it works great, if you are not happy then call back and downgrade immediately. If they have any problems with you doing that, then get your dad to call and get him to say 'How was it possible for my son to call up and change things on my service?' They will **** themselves about the lack of DPA adherence and change it back pronto lol!!!

deed02392
27-11-2007, 18:17
Heres an opinion from the other side

I always had trouble with my speed, even on the 10MB I could only get max of about 5-6MB. I called Telewest at the time and ranted for ages about my speed and how it isnt fair like a lot of people on this site, and guess what. It was my own fault.

I was using a USB cable to connect my modem to my comp, I changed it to an Ethernet cable and instantly my speed maxed out at 10MB. Now on 20MB I constantly download at 2.4Mb/s. Speed is great, never had any slowdown and I find it 100% reliable.

If I were you, Id post your Postcode and try and find other users who have 20MB near you. See if they have speed troubles or if It runs smoothly.

What you also could do is, upgrade to 20MB, it usually takes minutes to activate, give your internet a try, do a few speedtests and download a few files. If it works great, if you are not happy then call back and downgrade immediately. If they have any problems with you doing that, then get your dad to call and get him to say 'How was it possible for my son to call up and change things on my service?' They will **** themselves about the lack of DPA adherence and change it back pronto lol!!!

LOL thanks for the tips! I'll make another thread with my postcode on it, so is it possible to remove this one or would it be ok to just start another?

huyi
27-11-2007, 20:14

irrelevant as i was always connected via ethernet.

Numenor
27-11-2007, 21:07
irrelevant as i was always connected via ethernet.

Who said you didn't? I was replying to the original poster, not to you. If you want to talk about your own set-up, make your own thread.

banjo
27-11-2007, 21:16
Stop on 4meg I was on 20meg and it was appalling, I probably get a better download speed now on my downgraded 4meg and it costs less !

deed02392
27-11-2007, 22:05
Alright thanks for all the input guys! I think I will try it just for a while, and if it is useless... screw it, I'll downgrade. Thanks again!

darkrage
30-11-2007, 11:24
Well, I heavily use P2P programs, and HTTP download links often get a battering from my IP! Also, we have several computers here that often run simultaneously connected to the internet. I suppose what I'm really asking is what are the odds it'll be crap considering I live in Portsmouth? My only concern is the speed being significantly lower than 20mb, but i would be plenty happy if it hovered around 8mbps more often than not. What about that??

1am till 4pm you will get nice speeds outside this time and weekends expect 56k dial up speeds maybe you will be lucky and connected to a ubr that isnt over subscribed but i doubt it.

Northeast_user
30-11-2007, 11:37
I upgraded to 20MB at the beginning of Sept. it has taken untill yesterday to get everything sorted ( getting bills for 37 quid instead of 23.50, two months at 2MB instead of 20MB). I'd say that if you like to talk to alot of people from all over the UK and India in a single phone call then upgrade. If not stay at 4MB.

US.M@JORHAZZARD
30-11-2007, 11:54
It's all dependant on your location as someone has already said check other posts from you postal area see what they get and how stable they are, i upgraded from 10 -20meg and get a constant 2.4 from microsoft,fileshack and other sites that allow fast connections although i have had my share of issues but when i look at the overall performance i get i'm very happy...

deed02392
30-11-2007, 13:44
Is that 2.4mbps or 2.4mBps?

US.M@JORHAZZARD
30-11-2007, 14:24
lol dude don't ask me complicated questions :) i but i can get a 1gig file from fileshack in 10mins roughly but thats with a paid FS account...

dave6x
30-11-2007, 15:48
Is that 2.4mbps or 2.4mBps?
Surely what you mean is, is that 2.4Mbps or 2.4MBps, we certainly don't want milli-bits or milli-bytes! lol

tweetypie/8
30-11-2007, 16:15
I would like to know a little about upgrading from 4mb to 20mb... I asked my dad if he would as my main christmas present, so I don't want this to be a mistake! I've heard some people upgrading from 4mb to 20mb and experiencing slower speeds. I currently get all of my speedtests at the max end of my connection, with a very good Quality of Service (according to MySpeed).

If within the first month the speed is appalling, what would I do to go about downgrading again? I suppose by then, that would be my christmas present gone, however, and my dreams of another few gigs of ram crushed!

Thanks in advance!

:D

a short answer no !! ive been there and done it even bragged about it,but the truth is it dosent deliver the goods on a regular basis :td:

kgibsonuk
30-11-2007, 16:33
4pm on friday, bam, constant random connection drops and sub 1meg speeds. It's like they throw a switch and everyones connection turns to %*&#. Upgrade from 4meg to 20meg? nah, I suggest you upgrade from 4meg to an ISP that can actually deliver 1/100th the service they promise.

deed02392
30-11-2007, 21:42
Surely what you mean is, is that 2.4Mbps or 2.4MBps, we certainly don't want milli-bits or milli-bytes! lol

lol is there also a difference with the 'm'?!

discoade
01-12-2007, 00:42
Have you read this forum at all? i would say 20meg is a bad idea from what it read! Have some more ram instead The gift that keeps giving! :knock:

SamH182
01-12-2007, 01:04
you would notice a difference from 4meg to 20meg.

dave6x
01-12-2007, 12:43
lol is there also a difference with the 'm'?!Short answer is yes!

M is the SI prefix symbol for mega and represents a multiplier of 1,000,000
m is the SI prefix symbol for milli and represents a thousandth, or a division by 1000

See http://www.simetric.co.uk/siprefix.htm for more info

deed02392
01-12-2007, 18:10
Short answer is yes!

M is the SI prefix symbol for mega and represents a multiplier of 1,000,000
m is the SI prefix symbol for milli and represents a thousandth, or a division by 1000

See http://www.simetric.co.uk/siprefix.htm for more info

Oh wow thanks for that that was useful!

dave6x
01-12-2007, 19:15
Oh wow thanks for that that was useful!I'm pleased you found it useful. It's an error you see repeated all over the forum and although we generally know what people mean it'll be nice if I can help just a few more to get it right!

Cropstar
01-12-2007, 23:40
I was pondering switching from 4mb to 20mb, but there are so many horror stories I don't think its worth the hassle. 4mb generally runs at a good speed, although again it can go down to around 0.5mb during the evening period.

Sirpingalot
02-12-2007, 02:51
I was pondering switching from 4mb to 20mb, but there are so many horror stories I don't think its worth the hassle. 4mb generally runs at a good speed, although again it can go down to around 0.5mb during the evening period.

So, not exactly good speeds then..