PDA

View Full Version : Packet Loss

Cerberus
24-11-2007, 23:27
Hi All,

After a major outage in the Glasgow area on Thursday night, I had to call BB support on Friday. My modem wasn't able to connect to VM's server according to BB support. This was diagnosed after I couldn't connect to the internet using my PC, PS3 and iPhone. They fixed this by sending a hit to the modem and asking me to reboot my modem and wireless router.

I then pulled them about the speeds I was getting (between 3-4mb on a "UP TO" 20mb service). They did some further diagnosis and said that I was suffering from major packet loss and booked an engineer.

I did some searching on this forum and found the troubleshooting tips on Robin D H Walkers web page.

I ran a netstat and these are the results I got:

Active Opens = 655
Passive Opens = 83
Failed Connection Attempts = 8
Reset Connections = 312
Current Connections = 9
Segments Received = 29360
Segments Sent = 25535
Segments Retransmitted = 845

My questions are these:

Is this likely to be a fault with the modem, the cabinet or the belkin wireless router I have?

What's the engineer likely to do to resolve this?

&

What should I check (apart from the obvious speed test etc) before the engineer leaves my property?

Many thanks as always!

:dunce:

AmAtoL
25-11-2007, 00:50
It's unlikely it's your equipment, but even if it was there are people on here suffering the same thing whos equipment is not at fault.
Try downloading Pingplotter and connecting to any server, watch where the loss is taking place and content yourself that there is nothing you can do, or VM will do to alleviate the problem.

ie. big packet loss here :- man-bb-b-so-020-0.inet.ntl.com on 213.105.242.245