PDA

View Full Version : Sony RDR & Virgin Media

mrgekko
24-11-2007, 20:51
Hi there. I've recently bought a Sony RDR (HXD870B) and am having trouble setting it up so it works as I'm sure it has been designed to, in synch with my Virgin Media service.

I have an old Telewest PACE box and am receiving a digital cable signal. The instructions that came with the RDR have 3 set up options - for Freeview, for Satellite/Cable Analogue or for Terrestrial Analogue. Despite the omission of set up guide for Cable Digitial I have managed to set up so that I can watch cable and DVD's through the same channel and record onto both disc and hard drive from that channel. However :

a) The Hard Drive Recorder only works if the TV is turned on. It records when turned off, but no image can be seen.

b) The tuning system within the RDR cannot pick up any of the Virgin Media channels (or any channels) with the set up i've configured and as such, I can't receive any program listing, and therefore set the timer to record anything, on the RDR.

Having browsed various forums, I'm picking up contradictory information about if i'm able to pick up cable - and program information - through this DVD player. I must be missing something obvious. If anyone can help me i'd really appreciate it.

Many thanks in advance!