PDA

View Full Version : Moving an STB to another room

grocerjack
22-11-2007, 20:57
Hi, a bit of DIY advice please......

I havea second STB in a bedroom upstairs and would like to move it to another room, so the question is....

Can I just run a longer piece of coax cable from the junction box in the current bedroom to the new location some 20m away? This would mean replacing the current 2m cable from box to STB to a 20m cable.

Are there any issues around signal degradation?

I want to do this as I have a 20m length from work as a freebie with the right connectors and don't really want to have to pay VM £25 to come out move the junction wall box.

dgardner
22-11-2007, 21:52
You can but make sure you don't damage anything and use the right type of cable as you would be responsible for any damage

grocerjack
22-11-2007, 23:14
Thanks, by "damage" I assume you mean to the box itself? The coax I have is exactly the same as the type already in place - it just seems unnecessary to call out VM, have to deal with some Indian call centre and wait at home on the off chance the engineer is actually booked (previous bad experiences coming to the fore!). I have installed a full Ethernet network in the house so am happy my cabling skills are up to scratch but I just wasn't sure about signal limitations on the distance over coax.

lostandconfused
23-11-2007, 11:11
AFAIK it has chnaged to a £75.00 call out charge

MovedGoalPosts
23-11-2007, 11:24
Technically speaking any wiring on the street side of the modem / Set Top Box should only be altered by Virgin Media techicians, or occasionally by the customer using Virgin Media self install kits.

Get an alteration wrong and there is a risk of degrading your won service, or potentially that of others if the wiring connections are incorrectly made. In practice however if you are careful a soound electrical joint with connectors can be made, if you have the right tools. It is important to use the correct types of cable - the wrong ones can have the wrong resistance, or be subject to electromagnetic interference. Technically, if a cable length changes the resistivity alters and again this might affect signal strength. If your current setup is on the edge that might also add to problems.