PDA

View Full Version : broadband hell drops to 1meg after 6pm

lolwaine
22-11-2007, 18:53
i have recently had vm broadband installed and had to phone india for 3 nights in a row to get activated.i have 4meg broadband which i run my pc and xbox through.it works great in the day time but after 6pm i have to unhook my pc through the router to get onlline with my xbox 360 because the speed has dropped.has anyone else got this problem????? please help:angel:

ultimate
22-11-2007, 19:14
A lot of us here is suffering from this problem, including 20M liners getting <1mb. There isn't much we can do but moan and groan. Basically we have too many people on the servers.

lolwaine
22-11-2007, 19:45
A lot of us here is suffering from this problem, including 20M liners getting <1mb. There isn't much we can do but moan and groan. Basically we have too many people on the servers.

but whats the point most people work all day.they should put it on there adverts with ruby wax saying 4 meg broadband available until 4pm but don't hold your breath after that.......:td:

Rone
22-11-2007, 20:17
I work from home, during the day is the only time i get anywhere near [upto of course] 20 meg. :(

lolwaine
22-11-2007, 20:32
so what we are finding is it's great for people working from home and people on the dole.........they should put that in there next advert.

RedDragon
22-11-2007, 23:29
The problem with the internet is that ISP's and websites are starting to offer services that the infrastructure is struggling to keep up with. If some guy builds a web site selling HD movies to download for a good price he doesn't care that his business is putting a strain on other ISP's bandwidth usage, his customers won't complain to him about the speed of downloading, it's always the ISP who is to blame for not providing consistent bandwidth. VM is upgrading it's networks but it takes time and money. Most customers get close to the speeds they are paying for but there are areas where the customers are their own worst enemies, one of these are student accommodations. Drive around a student area with a wireless laptop and you will find many unsecured networks, there may be 4 or 5 students in a house using a single modem but if the router is not secured there are probably 4 or 5 other users nearby, this means that a lot of the modems in a student area are downloading almost constantly. Now when the networks were originally built it was expected that only a certain percentage of a street would have cable modems and that they would not all be downloading all the time(contention),most systems are built like this, if everyone went for a drive now they wouldn’t get past the end of the street, if everyone picked up the phone now the exchanges couldn't handle it, but the internet is now expected to be an always on service, and customers expectations and the content available are growing faster than the ISP's can buy and install the equipment needed to keep up. I think VM is trying to deliver the service you want and for the majority they succeed, but when they don’t its not always their fault.

homealone
22-11-2007, 23:46
The problem with the internet is that ISP's and websites are starting to offer services that the infrastructure is struggling to keep up with. <snip>, but when they don’t its not always their fault.

Lots of snippage, but I thought that was an really good summary.

- "not always their fault" may be true in some cases - the expectation of 24/7, full speed up & downloads, VOD, etc being one, but using words like 'unlimited' in their advertising without truly stating the limitations, doesn't help either, in my opinion ...

RedDragon
23-11-2007, 00:00
How open in it's advertising can a company be before it starts losing customers to a company who is not so open, its a balancing act which, I agree, can annoy people who don't get the service they think are paying for. At the end of day it's the customers who are paying towards the upgrades.

Sorry about the snippage didn't see it when I posted.

Spleeny
23-11-2007, 00:04
Hi (long time lurker first time poster)

I also found that interesting, but have another take on it. I have enjoyed my 4mbit broadband quite happily for over a year... full time, constant, 3800mbps.... until recently. I am now experiencing exactly the phenom described - the 6pm peril! The change came about quite suddenly, so I am a little reluctant to believe that its a bandwidth problem. Now I struggle to stream videos!! What goes through my mind is that it is costing me £25 a month, when I could get an equally poor service from the ADSL crew for 'free'-ish.

To be fair to VM, I have just had the company of an engineer for over an hour (we even went out to the street to poke around in the kiosk). Unfortunately, he is at a loss to explain my problem (so was 'dave' the bloke the engineer rang on the phone at broadband support). Surely they wouldnt be wasting man hours like that if they KNEW they had a problem with bandwidth?

Out of curisity... how many of the folk experiencing problems are receiving the £25 Loyality / Sky One debarcle credit? Or am I just too cynical?....

Mick Fisher
23-11-2007, 02:13
The problem with the internet is that ISP's and websites are starting to offer services that the infrastructure is struggling to keep up with. If some guy builds a web site selling HD movies to download for a good price he doesn't care that his business is putting a strain on other ISP's bandwidth usage, his customers won't complain to him about the speed of downloading, it's always the ISP who is to blame for not providing consistent bandwidth. VM is upgrading it's networks but it takes time and money. Most customers get close to the speeds they are paying for but there are areas where the customers are their own worst enemies, one of these are student accommodations. Drive around a student area with a wireless laptop and you will find many unsecured networks, there may be 4 or 5 students in a house using a single modem but if the router is not secured there are probably 4 or 5 other users nearby, this means that a lot of the modems in a student area are downloading almost constantly. Now when the networks were originally built it was expected that only a certain percentage of a street would have cable modems and that they would not all be downloading all the time(contention),most systems are built like this, if everyone went for a drive now they wouldn’t get past the end of the street, if everyone picked up the phone now the exchanges couldn't handle it, but the internet is now expected to be an always on service, and customers expectations and the content available are growing faster than the ISP's can buy and install the equipment needed to keep up. I think VM is trying to deliver the service you want and for the majority they succeed, but when they don’t its not always their fault.
Two things, it's not the subs fault if VM are too incompetent to manage their network and if VM can't supply it they shouldn't sell it.

lolwaine
23-11-2007, 09:40

i know your saying certain areas but i can see the vm building from my bedroom window or do i need to be closer ???

Rone
23-11-2007, 09:45
i know your saying certain areas but i can see the vm building from my bedroom window or do i need to be closer ???

Only if your using normal weapons, a rocket launcher should be adequate. :D

"so what we are finding is it's great for people working from home and people on the dole.........they should put that in there next advert".

Yes, thats about it, it makes me laugh that if you download nothing, speeds are still horrendous when everyone gets home and logs on, if i have any reservations about 50meg, this just about proves what a bad idea it would be.

lolwaine
23-11-2007, 09:48
Only if your using normal weapons, a rocket launcher should be adequate. :D

"so what we are finding is it's great for people working from home and people on the dole.........they should put that in there next advert".

Yes, thats about it, it makes me laugh that if you download nothing, speeds are still horrendous when everyone gets home and logs on, if i have any reservations about 50meg, this just about proves what a bad idea it would be.

what i have found in the last few days is that it does'nt matter what speed you are on be it 2meg or 20meg after 6pm we are all as one.is'nt that a nice warm feeling......

RedDragon
23-11-2007, 09:55
Two things, it's not VMs fault if the subs are too incompetent to manage their network (routers) and if you don't like it you shouldn't buy it. As soon as VM or any ISP try to manage their network by, for example, restricting heavy and unfair use, people start crying ' unfair, I want to have as much as I want when I want it',.Like it or not the internet is not the free ride it used to be, it's now a business model, the money for upgrades comes from us the customers,charge a cheap rate for the service and upgrades will happen very slowly, charge an expensive rate and customers will jump ship so a balance has be made. I'm not saying VM and other providers don't get it wrong sometimes, they do, but it's not as black and white as some seem to think and I'm just trying to give a balanced view against what seems to be a hate campaign by some posters.

lolwaine
23-11-2007, 10:01
Two things, it's not VMs fault if the subs are too incompetent to manage their network (routers) and if you don't like it you shouldn't buy it. As soon as VM or any ISP try to manage their network by, for example, restricting heavy and unfair use, people start crying ' unfair, I want to have as much as I want when I want it',.Like it or not the internet is not the free ride it used to be, it's now a business model, the money for upgrades comes from us the customers,charge a cheap rate for the service and upgrades will happen very slowly, charge an expensive rate and customers will jump ship so a balance has be made. I'm not saying VM and other providers don't get it wrong sometimes, they do, but it's not as black and white as some seem to think and I'm just trying to give a balanced view against what seems to be a hate campaign by some posters.

i know this thats why i got 4meg and not 2 meg so at least if it dropped i could still connect my xbox live but i am unable to as it drops to about 760k.i am not getting up a hate campain but if you filled you car with petrol and only got 5 miles out of it before you had to fill it again would you be ok with that ?

RedDragon
23-11-2007, 10:30
Sorry I wasn't refering to you, you have a genuine complaint. Some routers can drag the speed down a bit which may seem ok during the day but can be unacceptable at night if your area has contention problems.What are your downstream and upstream levels? you can access this info by typing in 192.168.100.1 and use 'root' as user name and password.

lolwaine
23-11-2007, 10:49
i am at work at the moment so i can't post then till dinner time.no router in the world will drag down the signal by 3 meg unless told to do so or it's got it's own traffic shaping software.

Mick Fisher
23-11-2007, 12:01
You are trying to justify the supplier of a product who markets it and sells it knowing full well he cant supply it. It don't matter how you dress it up and try to blame it on the subscribers from where I'm standing thats tantamount to fraud.
Just FYI, I have no more antagonism toward VM than I would have against any organisation or person that shortchanged me.
I don't like it and I'm not buying it. I just cancelled my BB. I already cancelled my telephone and DTV because it was overpriced carp. VM, as far as I'm concerned, are now £97.00 month worse off because they consistently failed to provide me with the services I was paying for.
Sky, Be and BT however all provide better services at more competitive prices than VM. By moving and getting shot of sky movies and sports I've reduced my monthly expenditure by over £50.00 Oh and I now have a solid 10meg down/1meg up BB service again. A bit better than the half meg rubbish that VM supplied as a so called 20meg service for £37.00 month.

lolwaine
23-11-2007, 13:54
vm guy just called at my house and he says all he has been doing lately is telling people theres nothing they can do about the speeds after 4-6pm.the guy works direct for vm and not the subcontractors.he sugested that i get 20meg because that only drops to about 5meg at this time.can anyone ok this as being right ????

lolwaine
23-11-2007, 16:45
update: i have upgraded to 20 meg now and these are my speeds

:-download 1176 kb\s
:-upload 711 kb\s

is this right ?????

Bonglet
23-11-2007, 18:00
Those speeds are pretty decent for 20mb atm better than half get i would say
but was the speedtest taken in the 4-12 time window of the CAPPING ;).

lolwaine
23-11-2007, 18:27
Those speeds are pretty decent for 20mb atm better than half get i would say
but was the speedtest taken in the 4-12 time window of the CAPPING ;).

yes i know but thats when i use it but vm have sorted my problems out today and i've got to say for the first time ever i spoke to a guy in swansea not bangladesh and he has sorted my problems out.running at great speed and i can now run my xbox 360 and my wireless router no probs at all.:D