PDA

View Full Version : 2nd BB line or move exisiting one?

burns
22-11-2007, 11:34
Hi,

I have 20mb VM BB which has been installed downstairs, I have a wifi router downstairs and my pc is upstairs. I have had nothing but problems with wifi as the connection on my PC constantly drops.

I work from home and it is very important that I have a stable internet connection as I'm constantly upolading files/talking to colleagues over Skype.

Ideally I would like to connect my pc straight into the modem but as it is downstairs this is impossible without running an ethernet cable through the house.

Does anyone know how much VM would charge to move the BB connector from downstairs to my office upstairs?

Thanks

ECW_Original
22-11-2007, 11:43
Well if you work from home, then you should be on the business broadband, as some will say its against the T&C's at VM to use a residential line for business reasons.

And to answer your question, they'll probs charge ya £25 for the pleasure!

HSp8
22-11-2007, 11:43
I had the same problem when I moved recently

Solution - buy a couple of Homeplugs (Devolo) - cost about £ 70 the pair, but I get full 20Mb speeds using them (not in the evenings) and no more drop-outs with the wireless

they're absolutely brill

lostandconfused
22-11-2007, 13:06
not sure if it would affect your speed but i dont think it would too much, but couldnt you just buy some long ethernet cable and run a cable from the modem upstairs yourself? would save the £25 call out charge.

Graham M
22-11-2007, 13:11
As long as the Ethernet cable is less than 100m and properly terminated, there should be no dip in speed what so ever. Working from home is not afaik against the Ts&Cs (or I'm breaking them too) - however, RUNNING a business might be - all you get with business broadband is a SLA (Service Level Agreement) and usually a lower contention ratio

burns
22-11-2007, 13:19
£25 seems resonable to me, especially considering the amount of money I have spent on wifi equipment that makes no difference,

Thanks

stevemon
22-11-2007, 13:22
Don't know if it will help but I had same dropout problem with a desktop upstairs running wireless with router downstairs. I had modem & router sat together on top of desk. I moved the modem into the desk and left the router on top (only about 2 feet apart). Now the upstairs pc never drops.

Ernie_C
22-11-2007, 17:56
I'm sure I've read in the past that the charge to relocate and already installed environment is £75.

The Virgin Media AUP does NOT exclude business use of the home broadband but it is very unclear (see paragraph 6.1.4):

http://allyours.virginmedia.com/html/legal/oncable/acceptableuse.html