PDA

View Full Version : Help & Advice needed RE: new UBR

ECW_Original
21-11-2007, 19:06
Hi, well for the past 2 years my "top level" broadband package is WAY below par, I am lucky if I get 2Mb in the early hours!

I have spoken to a nice friendly chap on here who is also a tech chap for VM and this is what he had to say:

Ah Peterborough...

Ex NTL Bell CableMedia region. Histroically NTL were always a bit "cheap" when it came to providing equipment and, unfortunately, this region is suffering. Peterborough hasnt had an equipment upgrade yet doe to technical issues with the headend equipment. Hence the UBR's are stil using decomissioned MC16E cards compared to the newer MC28U cards used elsewhere. There are speed issues with all the UBR's in this region and also an issue with cloned modems, which appear to be causing the majority of speed issues. Virgin Media are rolling out further upgrades to ex NTL regions to counter this and hopefully your speeds will improve soon but at the moment there is no ETA for completion of this work.

So going by this, and what I already know, the UBR's around here are way over-subscribed, is there ANY way at all of talking/bribing/forcing VM to add 1 or 2 new UBR's in the street cab to make the users speeds a bit decent compaired to what they are?

I spoke to a nice manager at VM a few weeks ago, and he said that HE too experiences really slow speeds (surely for a manager, HE can do something at least??) but basically the most important thing he told me to do was call up TS & find out when the first problems was reported, then DEMAND a full refund, and if the TS agent didnt do it then call straight back and the manager would fill out a Triple CS (wtf is this?) and whoever refused would be in trouble.

Now I have been told by the TS agent that all has been refunded (first recorded prob was 4th August 2006!!

Surely by now they have got the message and something NEEDS to be done!!

So, back to my original Q; how would I make them sort all of this rubbish out?

Thanks all for your patience in reading this, and I await any reply to this situation!

piggy
21-11-2007, 19:20
you have quoted your own answer there is no ETA and imo there is nothing you can do.

ECW_Original
21-11-2007, 19:30
Forgive me Piggy, if this comes across as rude or ignorant, but how the hell can VM get away with this? EVERYONE in VM knows about the over-subscription, but NOBODY will do anything about it, but if I dare withold even a month's payment for this 1Mb over an 'upto' 20Mb connection, then I get threatning letters, maybe I should do the same back, stating that UNLESS they upgrade the componants, then they will ONLY get paid UPTO the speed I am actually getting.

This is totally unacceptable, and I will not put up with it anymore.

As far as I see, VM have 2 choices, sort the problems out or let me have it for free, as I WILL NOT pay £37 a month for a connection that is even slower than the 2Mb service we have at work!

piggy
21-11-2007, 19:41
Forgive me Piggy, if this comes across as rude or ignorant, but how the hell can VM get away with this? EVERYONE in VM knows about the over-subscription, but NOBODY will do anything about it, but if I dare withold even a month's payment for this 1Mb over an 'upto' 20Mb connection, then I get threatning letters, maybe I should do the same back, stating that UNLESS they upgrade the componants, then they will ONLY get paid UPTO the speed I am actually getting.

As far as I see, VM have 2 choices, sort the problems out or let me have it for free, as I WILL NOT pay £37 a month for a connection that is even slower than the 2Mb service we have at work!

i totally agree but this is a company that does not spend on infrastructer the only area they spend on is sales and advertising the backbone gets nowt as you say everybody knows and also everybody knows it will cost money and historically they have proved they do not spend it in this area

Gary L
21-11-2007, 19:58

It is becoming more common knowledge now that they are over subscribed and more and more employees are stating this. before it was a complete denial by Virgin Media. so don't worry I think now everybody knows including OFCOM and the such, things will start working for the customer. they can no longer get away with it and drag it on any longer :)

SapperGB
21-11-2007, 20:00
maybe I should do the same back, stating that UNLESS they upgrade the componants, then they will ONLY get paid UPTO the speed I am actually getting.

Hmm now theres an idea, a user petition signed by users stating that we will happily pay 'UP TO £37' a month for say over 15Mb (5Mb allowance is generous enough i think) then we pay a percentage of the £37 in accordance to our true speed.

my maths is poor, :dunce: can anyone work out what 0.6Mb is as a fraction of £37 and then convert this to a percentage?

I rekon VM would get around £1.50 a month from me

Nedkelly
21-11-2007, 20:41
They need to pull there finger out and start putting in new kit as it is getting beyond a joke .They say the money is there but is the kit there ? .I have heard it all yes we will move you to a new ubr ,ive put you on a new server .When the tech comes he will put a new modem in and it will be ok .These are what some tech support people have said to some of the customers .Why cant they just tell the truth :mad:

ECW_Original
21-11-2007, 21:41
They need to pull there finger out and start putting in new kit as it is getting beyond a joke .They say the money is there but is the kit there ? .I have heard it all yes we will move you to a new ubr ,ive put you on a new server .When the tech comes he will put a new modem in and it will be ok .These are what some tech support people have said to some of the customers .Why cant they just tell the truth :mad:

VM tell the truth??? now that IS a laugh!! :D:D

But seriously, yes I am not happy with NTL/VM, I have been a cable customer since 2002, and I started with the 115Kb/s broadband, and gone through all packages, and TBH, the first time I noticed speed problems was when they first rolled out their 10Mb service, all was good upto that point.

Apart from my idea's on the "upto" payment, I really dont know what to do, we dont have a BT line installed, so it is no good saying "just leave VM" as I really wish I had that option, I'd have taken it a long time ago.

SapperGB
21-11-2007, 22:49
Do as i wil lsurely be doing ECW,

sell all your xmas prezzies and give BT their dammned £125 in January

ECW_Original
21-11-2007, 23:13
Do as i wil lsurely be doing ECW,

sell all your xmas prezzies and give BT their dammned £125 in January

lol no offence fella, but im not going to budge, VM have 2 choices, upgrade the necessary kit, or let me have it for free..

I really am waiting until they cut me off for not paying the bill, then they WILL get what they dont want, as I will make sure that something is done, by ANY means necessary, and I WILL try EVERYTHING within my power to get the upgrades, even if I have to camp out at our headend (its only about 15 mins walk away)

I WILL get what we all need, even if I have to take unconventional messures to make this happen!

SapperGB
21-11-2007, 23:32
lol no offence fella, but im not going to budge, VM have 2 choices, upgrade the necessary kit, or let me have it for free..

I really am waiting until they cut me off for not paying the bill

I WILL get what we all need, even if I have to take unconventional messures to make this happen!

Now I have been told by the TS agent that all has been refunded (first recorded prob was 4th August 2006!!

I thought you had got it for free?

ECW_Original
21-11-2007, 23:35
Well, they at TS say it has all been refunded and I will be in credit, but as we all know, VM are hardly known for their honnesty, so the only way I will find out is when the bill comes through the door next week, and boy will they know about it if I haven't been credited!!

SapperGB
21-11-2007, 23:48
LOL,

good for you in sticking to your guns.

just one thing though, IF you get the credit and VM are giving your service for free, how will you spend it?

Personally if its on your bill as credit, THEN may be the time to cancel subscription. the cheque should give you your BT line and pay for a subscription for a cpl. years.

ECW_Original
22-11-2007, 09:32
LOL,

good for you in sticking to your guns.

just one thing though, IF you get the credit and VM are giving your service for free, how will you spend it?

Personally if its on your bill as credit, THEN may be the time to cancel subscription. the cheque should give you your BT line and pay for a subscription for a cpl. years.

Hmm, now that IS a really good idea :) wish I was that good at thinking when I feel like Im dying from the flu!

Although, I just remembered last week I did 1 of them BT tests, where they tell ya how far away from the exchange etc, i think it said something like 2Km stright line distance, and I could get a massive 2Mb maximum speed!

Hmm, for all that money, I guess I'll stay put!

As a side note: does anyone know how much it is to purchase a new UBR? maybe the extra credit could be used to buy 1 if they really ARE that short of money!

lucevans
22-11-2007, 16:40
ECW_Original;

Which part of Peterborough are you in? I'm in Werrington and I've had my suspicions that the speed problems were partly due to the old Bell Cable Media equipment (I can remember the problems when the old analogue cable TV was first installed donkeys years ago, and I wouldn't be surprised if we're still using the same cabling!)

Bob

piggy
22-11-2007, 17:41
[QUOTE=ECW_Original;34437903]lol no offence fella, but im not going to budge, VM have 2 choices, upgrade the necessary kit, or let me have it for free..

I really am waiting until they cut me off for not paying the bill, then they WILL get what they dont want, as I will make sure that something is done, by ANY means necessary, and I WILL try EVERYTHING within my power to get the upgrades, even if I have to camp out at our headend (its only about 15 mins walk away)

I WILL get what we all need, even if I have to take unconventional messures to make this happen![/QU

how about a 3rd choice
virgin say they are unable to provide a acceptable service at the moment so they give you notice and disconnect you . whilst i agree you and everybody else should get what you pay for i dont think you should get it for free.
also how did you get on with the buisness package?

Richy99
22-11-2007, 17:48
so basically then this is a case of rather have a poor service for free/cheaper than have a decent service and pay for it if you was to move isps

piggy
22-11-2007, 18:04
so basically then this is a case of rather have a poor service for free/cheaper than have a decent service and pay for it if you was to move isps

that is actually a mission statement for a lot of members on this forum:D

ECW_Original
22-11-2007, 18:45
@lucevans:Im sorta between Bretton & Westwood!
And you are right, its our headend that needs the upgrades, then the speed SHOULD (fingers crossed) be at a more stable level!!

@Richy99:
Tell ya what fella, YOU pay for my BT line to be installed & the service charge(s) and I would gladly go to BT!!

@Piggy:
erm, well this seems like its going to take forever too!

I have the guy come around on tuesday to "check everything" serveyer or sommat, but he said that after he submits his report then it should take about a week, even though 2 weeks ago I got a call saying that tuesday's appointment was to do the install... Oh well, Im sure it will arrive before 2 much longer!

SapperGB
22-11-2007, 20:07
Hmm, now that IS a really good idea :)

Although, I just remembered last week I did 1 of them BT tests, where they tell ya how far away from the exchange etc, i think it said something like 2Km stright line distance, and I could get a massive 2Mb maximum speed!

try another test pal, im 1.8km form my exchange, sand almost the same via road, i had a 10MB ADSL guide before i got greedy and went for 20meg

xspeedyx
22-11-2007, 21:41
@lucevans:Im sorta between Bretton & Westwood!
And you are right, its our headend that needs the upgrades, then the speed SHOULD (fingers crossed) be at a more stable level!!

@Richy99:
Tell ya what fella, YOU pay for my BT line to be installed & the service charge(s) and I would gladly go to BT!!

@Piggy:
erm, well this seems like its going to take forever too!

I have the guy come around on tuesday to "check everything" serveyer or sommat, but he said that after he submits his report then it should take about a week, even though 2 weeks ago I got a call saying that tuesday's appointment was to do the install... Oh well, Im sure it will arrive before 2 much longer!

I never knew you problem had been going for that long

ECW_Original
22-11-2007, 21:52
I never knew you problem had been going for that long

Yes unfortunately Darth, but I guess its mainly cos Im quite a patient(haha) guy!

Im sure that in time I will be happy with my internet service, *sigh* although I doubt it! (Mr. Optimistic, thats me!!)

Richy99
22-11-2007, 23:57
there are alternatives available out there, it seems to me (and people keep moaning about rip off britain etc) that people would rather have a shody cheap service than pay a few quid to get a better more reliable service, i know if i had been having problms for over 13 months i wouldnt be using that company.

ECW_Original
23-11-2007, 00:07
there are alternatives available out there, it seems to me (and people keep moaning about rip off britain etc) that people would rather have a shody cheap service than pay a few quid to get a better more reliable service, i know if i had been having problms for over 13 months i wouldnt be using that company.

Have you ever stopped to think that maybe, just MAYBE there are VALID reasons why people such as myself cant move???

reasons off the top of my head are:

A) Cant afford the £125 for BT
B) the landlord/landlady/parents dont wanna change to another provider
C) why should we??

so next time, PLEASE think before you send!

xspeedyx
23-11-2007, 00:16
Have you ever stopped to think that maybe, just MAYBE there are VALID reasons why people such as myself cant move???

reasons off the top of my head are:

A) Cant afford the £125 for BT
B) the landlord/landlady/parents dont wanna change to another provider
C) why should we??

so next time, PLEASE think before you send!

In most case moving is the best chance you have but there are people like yourself that simply cant due to unforeseen facts but its **** for people like yourself as you need a simple way out and waiting for vm to upgrade is not simple

ECW_Original
23-11-2007, 00:20
TBH Darth, I've been thinking about moving outta this town, not only is it over-populated, there is always trouble here, and the job opportunities are pretty rubbish for what I need too, so I guess I will have to save up & move my partner & our 4yr old to a diff town & leave my mother behind :(

xspeedyx
23-11-2007, 00:23
if thats the case get a house with BT installed and then you wont have a £125 charge for them to install and you might have a stable bb connection good luck tho dude

ECW_Original
23-11-2007, 00:35
Thanks fella!
As I said before, Im sure something has got to chance sooner or later!