PDA

View Full Version : New installation woes

coxy
20-11-2007, 22:20
Hello everyone...hopefully someone can help me!

We've just had the VM engineer come out today to install the 20Mb package (+ phone & tv). The phone & tv are working fine but when I try and get online it just hangs and then times out. The modem I've got is the little black one -- which I've connected to my laptop (macbook pro) via the ethernet cable. The IP address i'm getting is 80.4.xxx.xxx. I've tried all the turn off for 30 secs and back on again stuff but with no luck. I've checked all the cables and everything seems to be set up fine. I'm not running a firewall.

As for ringing support -- well I tried that too but after ringing the broadband support number the recorded message gives on 150 I just get a constant tone as if to suggest the number's not recognised!

Can anyone help me diagnose the problem? Anyone experienced anything similar?

One thing - The engineer didn't leave a cd or instructions or anything...but reading up it seems like I don't actually need an installation cd for the ethernet modem (as that's only needed for the adsl usb modem). Is that correct?

Many thanks in advance

Admin edit (Stuart): It isn't a good idea to publish your IP on a public forum. I have obscured it.

on in an hour!
20-11-2007, 22:31
Hello everyone...hopefully someone can help me!

We've just had the VM engineer come out today to install the 20Mb package (+ phone & tv). The phone & tv are working fine but when I try and get online it just hangs and then times out. The modem I've got is the little black one -- which I've connected to my laptop (macbook pro) via the ethernet cable. The IP address i'm getting is 80.4.xxx.xxx I've tried all the turn off for 30 secs and back on again stuff but with no luck. I've checked all the cables and everything seems to be set up fine. I'm not running a firewall.

As for ringing support -- well I tried that too but after ringing the broadband support number the recorded message gives on 150 I just get a constant tone as if to suggest the number's not recognised!

Can anyone help me diagnose the problem? Anyone experienced anything similar?

One thing - The engineer didn't leave a cd or instructions or anything...but reading up it seems like I don't actually need an installation cd for the ethernet modem (as that's only needed for the adsl usb modem). Is that correct?

Many thanks in advance
sorry to hear about your probs coxy but that i.p. addresss sounds like a good un,are you ex-ntl or ex-telewest area??

diddy1
20-11-2007, 22:33
You dont need the disc, have you registed the modem to activate the account.

Just go here and follow the instructions https://autoreg.autoregister.net/

coxy
20-11-2007, 22:42
thanks for the quick responses guys! @on in an hour! -- not sure -- I live in Oxford, OX4 area if that helps?

@diddy1 -- no I haven't done. I'll give that a go when I get back home (round a friend's now - hence me being able to get online ;)). thanks!

kgibsonuk
20-11-2007, 22:48
Welcome to the world of shoddy broadband.

on in an hour!
20-11-2007, 22:55
Welcome to the world of shoddy broadband.
easy now,give the guy a chance ;)
sounds like your ex-ntl down there coxy,im pretty sure someone will be along to help forthwith

kgibsonuk
20-11-2007, 23:34
easy now,give the guy a chance ;)
sounds like your ex-ntl down there coxy,im pretty sure someone will be along to help forthwith

I suppose everyone deserves a chance (or 50 in VM's case ;)) but I will point out the 30 day money back guarantee if he isn't satisfied ;)

maverick
20-11-2007, 23:38
That looks like an unregistered ip address,load up your browser and go to 80.5.178.26 follow on screen instructions to get registered.
you will need a pin and this serial number ntl-ct8-cj486

coxy
21-11-2007, 14:15
Thanks everyone.... I've got it working now (following maverick and diddy1's advice to get registered).

Now...if I can just work out why I'm not getting that 20Mb I paid for... ;)

ultimate
21-11-2007, 15:14
I did the 20 Mb upgrade today too, speed test showed 2mb, have to phone 150 and go for the package change option so that they can check what package you are on, they put me on 2Mb by mistake. I am sure they have done the same to you.

coxy
21-11-2007, 20:32
Hi again! Well after my initial delight of actually being able to connect I've realised that my speeds are not only poor, but pretty shocking. After running several tests today - I've never had more than about 1.5Mbps. After reading around it looks like my UBR might oversubscribed...can anyone confirm this for me? If someone would be so kind as to look these over & tell me if they can see anything untoward going on I'd be v. v. grateful!

@ultimate - thanks - if things don't get any better I'll definately be checking that.

-----

I'm on the 20Mb package - my UBR is oxfd8.oxfd.cable.ntl.com

---- Signal Levels ----

Downstream Lock : Locked
Downstream Channel Id : 1
Downstream Frequency : 330750000 Hz
Downstream Modulation : QAM64
Downstream Symbol Rate : 5056.941 Ksym/sec
Downstream Interleave Depth : taps32Increment4
Downstream Receive Power Level : 12.9 dBmV
Downstream SNR : 36.1 dB

---- Speed Test Results (The test literally taken just now) ----

Test 1: 1024K took 9367 ms = 109.3 KB/sec, approx 901 Kbps, 0.88 Mbps
Test 2: 1024K took 7267 ms = 140.9 KB/sec, approx 1161 Kbps, 1.13 Mbps
Test 3: 1024K took 10317 ms = 99.3 KB/sec, approx 818 Kbps, 0.8 Mbps
Test 4: 2048K took 12858 ms = 159.3 KB/sec, approx 1313 Kbps, 1.28 Mbps

Overall Average Speed = approx 1048 Kbps, 1.02 Mbps

Thanks again

ECW_Original
21-11-2007, 20:50
Hi, I'm not an expert on this subject, but your Downstream recieve power is quite high, you may need an engineer to maybe put a filter on the line to make the levels come in line more.

But Im sure that someone more knowledgebale than myself help soon :)

hairy_mick
21-11-2007, 22:26
yer looks like that down stream levels high wonder what the tv levels are like

ECW_Original
22-11-2007, 11:38
@coxy by the sounds of it fella, you need to call up to get an engineer out to sort out your signal levels, but I doubt that'll help, being as most of the UBR's around are way over-subscribed!

coxy
22-11-2007, 11:48
OK cheers guys. It's time to call em up! @hairy_mick -- how do I check my tv levels?