PDA

View Full Version : help!

kgibsonuk
20-11-2007, 22:15
Can someone please take a look at my connection stats. I'll be ringing tech support on thursday and want as much info as possible.

Downstream Lock : Locked
Downstream Channel Id : 3
Downstream Frequency : 402750000 Hz
Downstream Modulation : QAM256
Downstream Symbol Rate : 5360.537 Ksym/sec
Downstream Interleave Depth : taps32Increment4
Downstream Receive Power Level : 3.9 dBmV
Downstream SNR : 37.7 dB

Upstream Lock : Locked
Upstream Channel ID : 1
Upstream Frequency : 25800000 Hz
Upstream Modulation : QPSK
Upstream Symbol Rate : 2560 Ksym/sec
Upstream transmit Power Level : 45.0 dBmV
Upstream Mini-Slot Size : 2

Over the last few weeks I've had constant connection drops, periods where the CM is unable to sync and speeds no greater than 250k/s on a 20 meg service.

My packet loss when pinging any web server is also around 50%.

Any help would be appreciated.:(

Mick Fisher
20-11-2007, 22:16
Your levels look fine.

kgibsonuk
20-11-2007, 22:20
Any idea what could be casuing my symptoms then? Browsing is incredibly slow and online gaming is completely out of the question, my latency usually hangs around 2-3k ms ><

Mick Fisher
21-11-2007, 18:33
There are numerous things that can interfere with your Internet experience.

Is your PC regularly defragged (I highly recommend Diskeeper), Is your PC kept free of spyware and malware. Is your Firewall and AV configuration optimised (NIS and ZA are particularly useless and are best uninstalled).
Get and use TCP optimiser to configure your PC for the speed you are on.
If you are using a router, connect to the modem directly to test that it is not a part of the problem.

Having done all that if you see no improvement then, in common with lots of others, you are likely to be on a UBR that is oversubscribed as a result of VM going to 20meg and signing on more punters as a result of the rebranding.

If this is the case then, in the short term, you have only two choices, grin and bear it or leave.

My take on it is that as VM say they are going to start the 50meg roll out in 2008 all there resources are going into installing the kit for that. They are not going to waste money and effort upgrading a technology they are superseding. Over time the 20meg will change to 50meg at a suitably increased price. The 4 and 2 meg will keep to the existing tech but will become 10meg and 5meg which it probably will support.
The question is do you have the patience to wait for an indefinite time and are you happy to be ripped off while you wait for an indefinite time?

piggy
21-11-2007, 18:59

Is your PC regularly defragged (I highly recommend Diskeeper), Is your PC kept free of spyware and malware. Is your Firewall and AV configuration optimised (NIS and ZA are particularly useless and are best uninstalled).
If you are using a router, connect to the modem directly to test that it is not a part of the problem.

Having done all that if you see no improvement then, in common with lots of others, you are likely to be on a UBR that is oversubscribed as a result of VM going to 20meg and signing on more punters as a result of the rebranding.

If this is the case then, in the short term, you have only two choices, grin and bear it or leave.

My take on it is that as VM say they are going to start the 50meg roll out in 2008 all there resources are going into installing the kit for that. They are not going to waste money and effort upgrading a technology they are superseding. Over time the 20meg will change to 50meg at a suitably increased price. The 4 and 2 meg will keep to the existing tech but will become 10meg and 5meg which it probably will support.
The question is do you have the patience to wait for an indefinite time and are you happy to be ripped off while you wait for an indefinite time?

:clap:

kgibsonuk
21-11-2007, 21:44
Guess I'll be cancelling my account then. No way in hell I'm waiting for DOCIS3 and the inevitable delays and excuses from VM.

currently I have less than dial up speeds and connection drops every 1-2 minutes. I'd love to know how in hell VM can get away with such a substandard service.

Great, now my ping jumps up to over 12k ms. If I get VM to drop me to the 4meg service will I still have to put up with this crap or will I have at least a semi stable connection?

Mick Fisher
22-11-2007, 20:19
Guess I'll be cancelling my account then. No way in hell I'm waiting for DOCIS3 and the inevitable delays and excuses from VM.
I'm currently getting a good 10/1 meg service from BePro for £22.00month. No free email, newsgroups or webspace but you do get a nice wireless modem chucked in for nix for as long as you sub to the service.

currently I have less than dial up speeds and connection drops every 1-2 minutes. I'd love to know how in hell VM can get away with such a substandard service.
It's just VM's latest example of mismanagement and ineptness. I think they just love to demonstrate just how much they don't give a toss about their subscribers or anything else much except being able to brag they have the fastest internet in the UK. The fact that it don't work for much of the time is of no concern to VM whatsoever.
Great, now my ping jumps up to over 12k ms. If I get VM to drop me to the 4meg service will I still have to put up with this crap or will I have at least a semi stable connection?
You have nothing to lose from trying except your STM threshold will drop to 750meg. :rolleyes:

TraxData
22-11-2007, 20:21

It has been confirmed that 50mbit will have STM applied to it as well (though no one knows what the limit shall be as of yet, but some are saying they are trailling the 3gb limit now on 50mbit)

100mbit will also have STM.

Sirius
22-11-2007, 20:35
It has been confirmed that 50mbit will have STM applied to it as well (though no one knows what the limit shall be as of yet, but some are saying they are trailling the 3gb limit now on 50mbit)

100mbit will also have STM.

By who and Link please ?. That is contrary to what i have been told by people in the know;)

TraxData
22-11-2007, 20:36
By who and Link please ?. That is contrary to what i have been told by people in the know;)

By the person running the trials, email him and ask :)

ECW_Original
23-11-2007, 21:40
OMG!!! that is the biggest pile of bull**** that VM have ever tried to pull on its customers!!
a 3GB limit aint worth jack on the current 20Mb service!!

I'd have thought that a reasonable limit on 50 would be in the region of say, 10GB maybe...

TraxData
23-11-2007, 21:42
OMG!!! that is the biggest pile of bull**** that VM have ever tried to pull on its customers!!
a 3GB limit aint worth jack on the current 20Mb service!!

I'd have thought that a reasonable limit on 50 would be in the region of say, 10GB maybe...

you can do that in 30mins on 50mbit, waste of time having it with limits, time will tell though, as VM change their mind more times than a woman with PMT :rolleyes:

ECW_Original
23-11-2007, 23:15
you can do that in 30mins on 50mbit, waste of time having it with limits, time will tell though, as VM change their mind more times than a woman with PMT :rolleyes:

lol totally agree! I bet they will 'manage' 50Mb speeds right down to 10Mb (IF that!)

My faith in VM is totally diminished now, I no longer have any respect for THEM or the 'business' they are running into the ground!!!