PDA

View Full Version : cable question?

Northeast_user
20-11-2007, 19:50
Ello again.
I have 20Meg broadband, And when the tech came to install my modem (this was a few years ago) he left me with about 3metres of excess cable which is now rolled up under my desk and then goes to my NTL 250 modem. My question is is it safe for me to remove this excess cable or will I have to get a tech into do it?

SapperGB
20-11-2007, 19:51
If it aint broke then dont fix it.

Northeast_user
20-11-2007, 19:54
If it aint broke then dont fix it.

LOL Im with you on that one, But we've just gotten two kittens and at the moment it seems to be the best toy in the world. And having to make emergency grabs for the modem everytime they choose to play silly buggers gets a bit old after the first 20 times.

Halcyon
20-11-2007, 20:24
Normally it is best to get a tech out to do this as any work carried out by you can have negative effects for yours and other people in your area's broadband connections.
This can especially be true if you do not secure the cables properly or have wires that are not connected appropriatly.
If you get an engineer out you will most likely be charged a fee (I think about £25) for any work done.

Although easy to do the work yourself, and if shortening the cable, you shouldnt have much of a problem, it is best for a tech to do it so they can double check signal levels.

Northeast_user
20-11-2007, 20:32
Normally it is best to get a tech out to do this as any work carried out by you can have negative effects for yours and other people in your area's broadband connections.
This can especially be true if you do not secure the cables properly or have wires that are not connected appropriatly.
If you get an engineer out you will most likely be charged a fee (I think about £25) for any work done.

Although easy to do the work yourself, and if shortening the cable, you shouldnt have much of a problem, it is best for a tech to do it so they can double check signal levels.

Thanks for the reply.

The last thing I want to do is upset the balance at the moment, As I've just gotten everything sorted with VM broadband. I was just wondering if it would be a straight forward cutting of the cable and re-attaching the connectors, but I seem to remember reading that you had to be carefull when messing with the cables as you could short your modem (or something like that)

on in an hour!
20-11-2007, 21:08

the fee for any remedial work is now £75 (irrespective of job task required) ;)

discoade
22-11-2007, 23:04
get one of these (http://www.maplin.co.uk/module.aspx?ModuleNo=10447&doy=22m11)
And one of these (http://www.maplin.co.uk/module.aspx?ModuleNo=217877&doy=22m11)

And do it your self!! :rolleyes:

Juan
22-11-2007, 23:08
What type of coax do VM use ?