PDA

View Full Version : is it true ..S-TB vs.CM

Tdeluxe
20-11-2007, 18:28
Hello,
I have/have not the 20mb broadband by virgin,
today i wanted to swap my "NTL" set-top box for a cable modem from virgin.
I have the silver Samsung Set-Top Box which doesn't support the 20mb broadband.
So i called in and just wanted to change to a cable modem and it seems to be
a big problem to virgin, lots of questions being ask incl. how much i use it and how much i download etc.
Anyway, they say i will have to get a seperate bill for that, so one for the telephone and one just for broadband.(by the way i don't own a TV)
Also i then will not be able to pay anymore via any Paypoint after i receive my bill,i have to chose direct debit or bank cheque which is difficult for me because i am a freelancer and earn no regular money but i do always pay my bills(i manage).So my question is, are they BS me or is it true? that i get 2 bills and can't pay anymore the old fashion way?
Because i wanna make changes,i pay for a service i don't get (yet)
Anyone got some experience on that?

I am in the Bromley area

greetings TD

xpod
20-11-2007, 18:45
Just down the road from you near Lewisham and i pay our BB and TV & Phone separately too.
We originally paid it all by Direct Debit but after about 3 months worth of complete incompetence in taking their own money we eventually began just paying over the phone by card.

When we upgraded the BB to sacm some months later though we again had to use Direct Debit.I did`nt want to use DD with VM again,not after the time spent sorting out their previous mistakes but i agreed to at least pay the Broadband by DD.
The best of it was we still paid the £5 non dd charge on the TV & phone bill for long enough but i`ve had that stopped now too.I mean we only stopped using DD in the first place because of their own incompetence.
I should really chase every single £5 charge back too.

Wicked_and_Crazy
20-11-2007, 18:45
DD will be cheaper for you. I have a STB and a CM and yes i do get two bill.

Marge
20-11-2007, 18:46
Sorry but the advisor is correct on what they are saying, at the moment you will be billed seperately for the BB which doesn't accept paypoint payments. There are still a few different systems being used for billing and the idea is for everything ulimately to be all on one so until they are merged this is how things are for the time being.

If I spoke to a customer who was looking for BB then I would ask questions about usage etc, loads of people just use t'internet for browsing and emailing and really don't need 20mg so it's just a case of trying to match a customer to a suitable broadband connection and price.

Tdeluxe
20-11-2007, 19:16
Hey thank you for your replies,that was quick and informative
wished companies could be like that, what a world that would be :)

By the way,i been told by the end of the year/early new year
the bills will be one again.They working on it.

So thanx again

TD

xpod
20-11-2007, 19:49
If I spoke to a customer who was looking for BB then I would ask questions about usage etc, loads of people just use t'internet for browsing and emailing and really don't need 20mg so it's just a case of trying to match a customer to a suitable broadband connection and price.

Hear hear.
Pity they never all thought like that when dealing with possibly unknowlagable customers
I`ve known one or two unwitting people round about,one an old lady,who were put on the 10Mb(at time)/20Mb packages for some strange reason.
We got them downgraded without too much hassles once reality was explained to them.They should never have been placed on top tiers in the first place.They never really knew any better to question it though.
The lass next door is still on this so-called 20Mb too but probably never uses that new computer & bb connection of hers.Theres no telling her though.
I`ve probably used that pc more than her just in the setting it up for her and testing her new VM BB connection every now and again.Just to be all the more sure about our own of course:angel:
She`s blissfully happy.
How many like that though i wonder,who choose to have this superfast 20Mb but have absolutely no need for it whatsover.Many i know dont really understand what a bloody "Mb" is still,never mind wether they get them all or not.As long as the broadband is ON then it`s working just fine.:erm:

BBKing
20-11-2007, 20:57
By the way,i been told by the end of the year/early new year
the bills will be one again.They working on it.

Yes, finally erasing the legacy of a bad decision I opposed at the time, but was overruled...

Fingers crossed for them, it's a big job. We're already starting to see the benefits of a single *type* of billing system*, but there's still work to do.

* Except that it makes life just that little bit less interesting, but hey, it's not like I've got brain-space to waste remembering where ICMS, SMS and Harmony did things differently.

on in an hour!
20-11-2007, 21:14
Yes, finally erasing the legacy of a bad decision I opposed at the time, but was overruled...

Fingers crossed for them, it's a big job. We're already starting to see the benefits of a single *type* of billing system*, but there's still work to do.

* Except that it makes life just that little bit less interesting, but hey, it's not like I've got brain-space to waste remembering where ICMS, SMS and Harmony did things differently.
not forgetting good old SABS :D

---------- Post added at 21:14 ---------- Previous post was at 21:12 ----------

Hear hear.
Pity they never all thought like that when dealing with possibly unknowlagable customers
I`ve known one or two unwitting people round about,one an old lady,who were put on the 10Mb(at time)/20Mb packages for some strange reason.
We got them downgraded without too much hassles once reality was explained to them.They should never have been placed on top tiers in the first place.They never really knew any better to question it though.
The lass next door is still on this so-called 20Mb too but probably never uses that new computer & bb connection of hers.Theres no telling her though.
I`ve probably used that pc more than her just in the setting it up for her and testing her new VM BB connection every now and again.Just to be all the more sure about our own of course:angel:
She`s blissfully happy.
How many like that though i wonder,who choose to have this superfast 20Mb but have absolutely no need for it whatsover.Many i know dont really understand what a bloody "Mb" is still,never mind wether they get them all or not.As long as the broadband is ON then it`s working just fine.:erm:
same goes xpod for the No of old dears i swap out a set top for.after the code download i check the channel line-up only to find them on the XL with sports and movies :( unscrupulous sales staff id wager!!!)

IT Lemming
20-11-2007, 22:00
Hello,
I have/have not the 20mb broadband by virgin,
today i wanted to swap my "NTL" set-top box for a cable modem from virgin.
I have the silver Samsung Set-Top Box which doesn't support the 20mb broadband.
So i called in and just wanted to change to a cable modem and it seems to be
a big problem to virgin, lots of questions being ask incl. how much i use it and how much i download etc.
Anyway, they say i will have to get a seperate bill for that, so one for the telephone and one just for broadband.(by the way i don't own a TV)
Also i then will not be able to pay anymore via any Paypoint after i receive my bill,i have to chose direct debit or bank cheque which is difficult for me because i am a freelancer and earn no regular money but i do always pay my bills(i manage).So my question is, are they BS me or is it true? that i get 2 bills and can't pay anymore the old fashion way?
Because i wanna make changes,i pay for a service i don't get (yet)
Anyone got some experience on that?

I am in the Bromley area

greetings TD

Don't do it unless they can guarantee you more than 10Mb connection, otherwise you would be better off staying on the 4Mb connection. Although STB connections are the old type, they appear to be better than the 20Mb for download speeds at peak times.:(

I did change over recently, and will be going back to the old one soon:mad:

xpod
20-11-2007, 22:31
same goes xpod for the No of old dears i swap out a set top for.after the code download i check the channel line-up only to find them on the XL with sports and movies unscrupulous sales staff id wager!!!)

I`d hazzard a guess at there being many,many ...many of these types of cases.
People with it all that dont even know it,or need it.
And of course those with it all just because...they can.

I`m not even 100% sure myself just what TV & Phone package we have if truth be told.I know what it started out as but god knows what it is now.
I never get to see that remote control of an evening anyway.:rolleyes:

All i know is i`m getting about 3Mb broadband speeds:D

Tdeluxe
20-11-2007, 22:57
Don't do it unless they can guarantee you more than 10Mb connection, otherwise you would be better off staying on the 4Mb connection. Although STB connections are the old type, they appear to be better than the 20Mb for download speeds at peak times.:(

I did change over recently, and will be going back to the old one soon:mad:

Actually i know someone in north london who get's the full service
yeah as usual the north londoners,seems the service is better up there
he's an ex telewest customer i believe now with virgin.
If he downloads ...... always with 2.5mb download speed (in most cases) - pretty cool.I get max. 1.16mb at good times. but i pay the same price.
Anyway time will tell i guess.