PDA

View Full Version : oh dear!!!!! i didn't think it could get any worse

cablesnail
20-11-2007, 17:41
hurrah dial up speeds for all...at least it will make us 20mb (hahaha) i mean 0.7mb customers feel slightly less agrieved...roll on 2010!!!

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/technology/7103426.stm

saabmania2
20-11-2007, 19:06
well if that is the case virgin won't be around after 2010, as they have said they will not spend anymore on upgrading the network in the forciable future, and if they don't start now there's no way they are going to get to spend anywhere near the money it needs :( :td:

xiao
20-11-2007, 21:15
its not1s fault but the ISPs.

techonologies advance, high demeand online gaming, download games which are more than a few GBs, on demand movies, music, u name it everything is online and its getting bigger.

everythings becoming more advanced. everything BUT ISP's in UK.

check sweden and other countried like Japan, they dont have this problem. why?

coz ISP develop with other IT techonologies.

If current ISP will not suppy the demanded service, i can say with 100% confidance that someone willl.

so a gird lock on UK network i dont think so, but ISP who belive this will lose business

kgibsonuk
20-11-2007, 21:37
Dial up speeds in 2010? bah I'm on less than that now.

darkrage
21-11-2007, 07:29
check sweden and other countried like Japan, they dont have this problem. why?

japan uses its city office buildings as hubs/servers to the net so each building is networked with the other giving them 100meg/s dl speeds.

sweden on the other hand decided to cable everywhere so i think the minimum connection they have now is 10meg

yes the uk is always behind the times because our gvmt and industry providers are un willing to spend money instead wasting it on things we dont need or require.:dunce:

SOSAGES
21-11-2007, 07:41
sweden has about 5 people living in it based round 1 massive village with polar bears all around so they never leave its pretty easy to give 1 place very nice broadband
sadley the UK was a little advanced for its time and now we are using a load of old copper wires.
homes in sweden also have sexy insulation so you just need to breathe inside and it heats the home for the year....
BB in the UK is not as useless as you think i remember sitting at home after ordering the 600k service waiting for the lights to come on and thinking woohoo now for less money i get 20meg :) and i actually get 20meg

TimIgoe
21-11-2007, 08:30
This report doesn't just think about the users' end of the connection - think about the server resources too.

Say, small site - 1 server, 100Mbit peak bandwidth - the more users you have, the less each gets. There is currently only so much bandwidth across the oceans due to the cost to lay new fibres - this is getting to bursting point too. Its not all about the ISP end (while this is a large consideration) there is a lot more to the internet than just that and the whole lot is starting to creek a bit.

Rone
21-11-2007, 09:40
"i remember sitting at home after ordering the 600k service waiting for the lights to come on "

I think some still are. ;)

The Hitman
21-11-2007, 09:59
japan uses its city office buildings as hubs/servers to the net so each building is networked with the other giving them 100meg/s dl speeds.

sweden on the other hand decided to cable everywhere so i think the minimum connection they have now is 10meg

yes the uk is always behind the times because our gvmt and industry providers are un willing to spend money instead wasting it on things we dont need or require.:dunce:

But this is BroadBand Britian. The most technical advanced society know to mankind. According to Gordon Brown our beloved leader ;)

zooloo
21-11-2007, 11:45
According to Gordon Brown our beloved leader ;)

steady on ... :erm:;)

Uncle Peter
21-11-2007, 12:22
An interesting but extremely speculative report. The focus of the crunch is, as expected, on the access layer. In other words: service and content providers. It's a shame whoever wrote the article on the BBC website didn't adequately summarise the report

http://www.nemertes.com/internet_singularity_delayed_why_limits_internet_c apacity_will_stifle_innovation_web

xiao
21-11-2007, 16:31
But this is BroadBand Britian. The most technical advanced society know to mankind. According to Gordon Brown our beloved leader ;)

well on tuesday brown said he wants to britian to be a world leader in the new techonology race, hes talking about techonology in renewalbe energy and is investing 1 billion more as investment in that sector. and what he means by a world leader in techinology again hes refering to the industrialization.

so my point is we are so far behind in all things to do with techonology, such as GPRS, mobile satalites, trains, and soo many other techonologies compaired to most of the western world espicaly western europe.

how can we become a world leader by just investing in wind farms wave farms solor farms. when we cant get catch of on may otherthings like the basic requirment on high speed internet