PDA

View Full Version : Problems connecting to Internet

Nevyn666
20-11-2007, 14:51
Hi guys,
What have I deleted / done wrong? :)

I had a perfectly good connection - I had a wired Desktop connected to my Belkin Router (which is connected to NTL cable Broadband) and my laptop with a wireless connection. I "cleaned" my desktop registry with CCleaner - and now the laptop still works fine, but the desktop i get the following error Limited or No Connection - I cannot access the Router from that machine - I tried 192.168.2.1 but got a 404.

Any help you guys can provide would be greatly appreciated.

Sorry but thanks.
PS. English is my first language but you wouldn't know it from above - sorry.

r00t
20-11-2007, 14:54
Reboot.
Modem> Router> PC.

The 404 error sounds like a password error. Did you have the password stored in IE, FireFox or Opera. Ccleaner may have removed them.

MovedGoalPosts
20-11-2007, 14:55
Try going into your hardware device settings (look under system in control panel), delete and reinstall the network card, to reload the drivers. Make sure the network connection is able to use auto detect for the TCP/IP settings.

Dai
20-11-2007, 15:12
Hi guys,
What have I deleted / done wrong? :)

I "cleaned" my desktop registry with CCleaner

I fear you've answered your own question.
I had a machine in the workshop recently where the owner had used CCleaner to do exactly the same thing. He'd managed to have every entry vanish from Add/Remove Programs..

I *really* don't recommend the use of registry cleaners.For the sake of saving a few bytes of memory it's way too easy to trash your system.

You might try uninstalling/reinstalling TCP/IP if the NIC option doesn't work.

Nevyn666
20-11-2007, 16:33
Thanks guys will try these things :)

---------- Post added at 16:33 ---------- Previous post was at 15:13 ----------

WOOHOO - got the connection back.

ok - tried a few different things - and you guys will be able to tell me :

I typed netsh winsock reset into the command line and restarted the machine - would this have anything to do with fixing the issue.

Thanks for all your help