PDA

View Full Version : Connecting 2nd Computer

tony.bright@ntlw
18-11-2007, 11:05
Hi All,
New to all this broadband / setup / forum's thingy - all seams to be a black art :dunce:!

I have just had a cable modem installed (I was using set top box but it kept breaking). All working fine on Dell laptop with XP pro.
Question - if I now connect a different laptop with XP pro - will it "just find" the internet or do I have to run the broadband setup CD on the 2nd laptop?
My intention is to run a wirless router if I can get laptops running at the same time.:angel:

Any help thankfully and gratefully received. :angel:

xpod
18-11-2007, 11:08
As long as your using ethernet just reboot everything.:)
Unless your using the router you will need to reboot modem>pc each time you swap over.

Lord Nikon
18-11-2007, 11:10
to change the computers over all you will need to do is unplug power from the modem, swap the computers over, power up the modem, wait for the sync and ready lights to stop flashing, then turn on the computer, no CD needed.

Yes a wireless router will let you run both computers together, but make sure you set a decent level of security on the router when you do, MAC address filtering and WPA or WPA2 level security. if you need help when you get your router ask here and we will assist. For a router suggestion you could do a lot worse than a linksys WRT54G