PDA

View Full Version : Internet problem

billmanser
17-11-2007, 16:18
Greetings All, I found my way here a few hours ago after trying to get online for ages. Some days its no trouble,others it seem to be hopeless.
I live in the TN4 0AR area and have been with Telewest for several years,with very few problems. It seems to be since Virgin took over.
I`m a "silver surfer" and do not pretend to do tech stuff.!!
My Broadband connection was fine for a while but now seems to be very erratic and I do`nt if its me or them !. I phoned for help once ,but could not understand the Indian gentleman who i wa connected with.
I have a Motarola modem on XP PRO and now the orange light on modem is always flashing,which I`m sure was not the case before.
I`ve done all the usual things like unpluging the modem and rebooting but nothing makes any difference. then,2 hours or what later, everything works.
Any ideas, Thanks in advance, Bill Manser

homealone
17-11-2007, 16:46
Hi :welcome:

Virgin are using exactly the same equipment as Telewest, all that has changed is the name.

Having said that, they have also rolled out the 20Mb service, which seems to have been sold without regard for the capacity of the infrastructure, resulting in some areas being oversubscribed.

Your problem 'sounds' like you live in an oversubscribed area, as if it was a problem with your hardware or the cabling one would expect it wouldn't work, at all?

The difficult thing is what to advise you to do next, as, unfortunately, only Virgin Media can address the problem of over subscription - and they will only do that if enough people complain....

<edit> You can call 0800 561 0061 to find out if there are specific problems in your area, but it may not flag up over subscription.

Mick Fisher
17-11-2007, 20:24
Or you could post your problem on the newsgroup

virginmedia.support.broadband.cable

at least there will be no language barrier that way.

billmanser
18-11-2007, 17:10
Thanks, I`ll try the newsgroup. How do you complain to an individual at Virgin??

Mick Fisher
18-11-2007, 19:30
Thanks, I`ll try the newsgroup. How do you complain to an individual at Virgin??
With great difficulty :rolleyes:

billmanser
18-11-2007, 19:57
Why did`nt that surprise me!!