PDA

View Full Version : NTL 250 modem + linksys WRT54G router

Maroon
17-11-2007, 08:25
Had a V+ box installed yesterday and the broadband changed from using the old STB to a new NTL 250 modem.

When I tried to get connected nothing was happening through my router but I managed to get it working directly to the pc.

I been trying since to use the router again but with no joy so far.
I've tried the powering down and up again.
I'm guessing I shouldn't have to but I've also tried cloning the PC's MAC address - but to be honest I'm not sure I was doing that right.

Can soemone point we in the right direction please.

Many thanks
Martin

MovedGoalPosts
17-11-2007, 09:15
You needed to set up the modem connection first, before you could get the router going. Remember you must reboot the modem for it to recognise you've swapped to the router. You need a straight through ethernet patch lead between the router and modem (some STBs used a crossover)

I'd suggest you do a factory reset on the router, get it back to the default settings and go from there.

Musicman
17-11-2007, 09:17
Martin,

You should clone the MAC address on the WRT54g router.

From memory, you open up a command prompt and type ipconfig/all. This provides the physical address of the network card that has been registered to the modem. This is then entered in the clone section of the WRT54g configuration.

Connect the router to the modem & everything should be OK.

MovedGoalPosts
17-11-2007, 09:30
Why do people insist they need to clone the mac address of a registered PC into a router to get the modem to router connection to work? It's not necessary.

This was only of benefit to the users of Set Top Box connections where the specific connected device needed to be registered with the Virgin Media servers. With a modem connection it's the modem only that is registered so it doesn't matter what device is connected to it computer(s), router or console (just one at a time though).

Musicman
17-11-2007, 09:44
Why do people insist they need to clone the mac address of a registered PC into a router to get the modem to router connection to work? It's not necessary.

This was only of benefit to the users of Set Top Box connections where the specific connected device needed to be registered with the Virgin Media servers. With a modem connection it's the modem only that is registered so it doesn't matter what device is connected to it computer(s), router or console (just one at a time though).

Well my connection would not work, with my router until I cloned the address. Saying that it was three years ago, though I have never had a set top box.

cleshe
17-11-2007, 11:44
I too had problems installing a router and had to go the clone route.Again, that was several years ago. I have since installed a modem for a grandchild without having to use this route.In neither case was it a Linksys .

Maroon
17-11-2007, 16:30
Thanks for the advice but I've still not got it working.

I had to replace a connector on the patch cable to make it straight through and that's working fine.

I did the factory reset on the router and tried again rebooting the modem but still nothing.

I've also tried the clone mac address part again without any luck.

Any more ideas?

Thanks

homealone
17-11-2007, 16:36
if the internet works without the router & you are trying the router with wired connection & it is set to the defaults of 'dhcp server enabled' & 'obtain an IP automatically', & it doesn't work, then it tends to suggest a faulty router, sorry.

Toto
17-11-2007, 17:23
To confirm, as Rob has said, unless you have to register your network interface card MAC address, which you do not on VM now, you do not need to clone your routers address to match that of your PC's NIC.

I set up my friends linksys last night, and his router obtained a new IP address about 5 minutes later, you just have to be patient.

cleshe
17-11-2007, 20:09
Thanks for the advice but I've still not got it working.

I had to replace a connector on the patch cable to make it straight through and that's working fine.

I did the factory reset on the router and tried again rebooting the modem but still nothing.

I've also tried the clone mac address part again without any luck.

Any more ideas?

Thanks

If I were you I'd buy another patch cord. I've never had much luck with replacing plugs.They're not exactly expensive after all.

fayraz
17-11-2007, 21:09
I received my new 255 modem today and to get my internet working through the router I had to boot the modem up first and let the SYNC and RDY lights go solid and then boot the router up.

I never messed around with cloning MACs or anything.

Maroon
18-11-2007, 07:01
if the internet works without the router & you are trying the router with wired connection & it is set to the defaults of 'dhcp server enabled' & 'obtain an IP automatically', & it doesn't work, then it tends to suggest a faulty router, sorry.

It is looking like the router is faulty...

All the settings are as you say and I've double checked that the cables in and out of the router are working ok. Also I connected my laptop directly to the modem and this worked fine.

When I connect the router to the modem the Internet light comes on as normal. And the pc can access the router so I can check the settings and do the factory reset.
The router was working perfectly before the new modem. Is there anything else I can do to confirm that it's the problem? Apart from just buyng a new one!

tucker61
18-11-2007, 09:48
I had a similar issue with my lynksis earlier this year, hit the reset button on the back
Power off everything, Switch modem on, then router then pc. It worked for me, I also rang lynksis helpline but they just talked me through the above proceedure. Might be a issue with the DNS settings. Can you access the status page on the router, if possible post a picture.
Good Luck

Maroon
18-11-2007, 11:13
Thanks for the suggestion but unfortunately it didn't work. Status page info:

Router

Firmware Version: v2.02.7, Feb. 27, 2004
Current Time: Not Available
MAC Address: <my mac details>
Router Name: WRT54G
Host Name:
Domain Name:

Login Type: Automatic Configuration - DHCP
IP Address: 0.0.0.0
Subnet Mask: 0.0.0.0
Default Gateway: 0.0.0.0
DNS 1:
DNS 2:
DNS 3:

Local Network

MAC Address: <my mac details>
IP Address: 192.168.1.1
Subnet Mask: 255.255.255.0
DHCP Server: Enabled
Start IP Address: 192.168.1.100
End IP Address: 192.168.1.149

ultimate
18-11-2007, 11:25
Looks like internet is not getting to the router, you have nothing in the Login Type, I have the same router as yours. I am no expert on this, but it isn't right.

If you will copy your settings of the set up page here, I can compare that with mine.

EssDee
18-11-2007, 12:59
You could maybe try upgrading the firmware. You've not said what version of WRT54G you've got, but the firmware looks out of date regardless. You could also try DD-WRT firmware instead. Worth trying if nothing else works?

ultimate
18-11-2007, 13:02
My firm ware is
Firmware Version: v3.03.1, Oct. 18, 2004 it is still working faultlessly.

My bet is either the settings or the cable

Maroon
18-11-2007, 19:59
I tried upgrading the fireware but no change. My router settings are:

Automatic Configuration - DHCP

Host Name:
Domain Name:
MTU: Auto

Local IP Address: 192.168.1.1

DHCP Server: Enable
Starting IP Address: 192.168.1.100
Maximum Number of DHCP Users: 50
Client Lease Time: 0 minutes (0 means one day)
Static DNS 1: 0.0.0.0
Static DNS 2: 0.0.0.0
Static DNS 3: 0.0.0.0
WINS: 0.0.0.0

tucker61
18-11-2007, 23:03
On your status page does it look like this, ?? Try swapping the cable !
When you reset the modem/Router did you make sure modem was fully lit up before switching on router ?

Login Type: Automatic Configuration - DHCP IP Address: Download Failed (1) Subnet Mask: 255.255.252.0 Download Failed (1) Download Failed (1) Default Gateway: Download Failed (1) DNS 1: 194.168.4.100 DNS 2: 194.168.8.100 DNS 3: MTU: 1500

ultimate
18-11-2007, 23:46
I tried upgrading the fireware but no change. My router settings are:

Automatic Configuration - DHCP

Host Name:
Domain Name:
MTU: Auto

Local IP Address: 192.168.1.1

DHCP Server: Enable
Starting IP Address: 192.168.1.100
Maximum Number of DHCP Users: 50
Client Lease Time: 0 minutes (0 means one day)
Static DNS 1: 0.0.0.0
Static DNS 2: 0.0.0.0
Static DNS 3: 0.0.0.0
WINS: 0.0.0.0

My settings are the same, further more, the next page, DDNS, I have disabled, Mac Address clone - disabled, and the last page operating mode=gateway, set number = 1(), route name= blank, all zeros in the following 3 lines, interface=lan and wireless.

If still no joy, try new cables.

lordy
19-11-2007, 01:26
Yup Switch both off, then switch modem on , let it settle, then switch the router on.

If no joy then change cables.

I'd also recommend the Tomato Firmware if you have a version 4 or earlier. Although I dont think this will fix your problem (but it might).

There is no need to mess around with cloning macs these days. I have had my connection for 2 years, and had at least 4 different routers on it (I like grabbing cheap WRT54GS's off eBay because they are so useful once reflashed)

Also your PSU should be be silent (that's a longshot too - but I bought one advertised as faulty - behaving strangely - as soon as I swapped the noisy PSU it was happy as Larry)

Maroon
19-11-2007, 20:00
Thanks again for all the help - have finally got things going.

I think the problem was due to be cables but I'm not sure what exactly!

Before I had the router upstairs with the pc. Now I've taken the router downstairs and had to swap over the cables from the modem to the router and from the router to the pc.

Still a mystery to me why that made things work - but I'm happy it did!

lordy
20-11-2007, 00:59
Have any of the little clips broken on the cables. If so, Sometimes, depending on tension/position, the cable edges away from the contacts?

ultimate
20-11-2007, 13:21
Could one of the cables be a cross over cable?

lordy
20-11-2007, 17:37
I dont think Cross-Over should matter as the WRT54G has auto-sensing ports.