PDA

View Full Version : Request for assistance

scrotnig
16-11-2007, 19:35
Can any of the VM peeps on here possibly get this checked out?

I understand there are nationwide issues with the 20mb service, but I want to make sure that in my case it isn't something that can be corrected, because I've noticed in a few cases it is.

I am now down to speeds so low that my upload speed is often testing higher than my download speed. I cannot even get 1mb. Even getting 5 or 6 would be nice, but as it currently stands it isn't worth paying for and I'd be about as well off on a dialup.

Attached is a screenshot to show how bad it is, and it's been like this for several weeks now.

I have tried several calls to tech support, but I just get through to India and they are unable to help. the last call they said it was the sites I was visiting and I should use UK sites!

I have done all the usual checks, when the service was 10mb I used to get about 7 so I know it should work better than this. Switching to dialup actually makes pages load quicker!

Any help would be much appreciated, as frankly if this is the best it will ever do then I'll take my chances with ADSL, which is something I've previously said I'll never do.

xiao
16-11-2007, 19:49
not a VM peep but have a read of this
http://www.cableforum.co.uk/board/12/33624088-had-engineers-come-over-today-they.html

plus i dont think any VM peep here could give any info on the future of VM impovement, coz i think they would not know, only the high level desision makers would know which i doubt they use this fourms to give info.

i just recently moved from BT to VM and i am regrating it soo much, plus buying a cable wireless router

i am thinking of moving bak to ADSL BT line and Be There broadband

goldoni
16-11-2007, 20:52
The facts that I know. My daughter is at Kent Uni in her second year so has had to move off campus and rent a house with other students, where the house is they can only get 3.1Mb/s ADSL service which comes via a home hub from BT
Now bearing in mind there are four other students sharing the connection you would think it would be dead slow well you would be wrong, it flys pages come up as they should and this was with the laptop that the techs in India say has a problem. Not so I am totally hacked off with the (choose an expletive of your choice) slow browsing I am getting with a 20Mb/s service from VM

scrotnig
18-11-2007, 18:00
This has now got even worse, download speed tonight is testing at around 140kbps. An utter disgrace for a 20mb service.

scrotnig
24-11-2007, 14:10
*Bumping*

I was wondering if anyone might be able to help me get this issue escalated to VM. Calls to technical support get me nowhere as they are simply advising me that my connection is working ok. Calls anywhere else within the company, understandably, just get referred to technical support.

Today's speed is testing at about 0.3mb

goldoni
24-11-2007, 16:54
*Bumping*

I was wondering if anyone might be able to help me get this issue escalated to VM. Calls to technical support get me nowhere as they are simply advising me that my connection is working ok. Calls anywhere else within the company, understandably, just get referred to technical support.

Today's speed is testing at about 0.3mb

I would not bother as it is the system me thinks. I have the same problem as you and many others and all I got from Tech support was it’s my computer, it’s spyware. I then was asked by a friend to connect a BT Home hub for him so I also tried my computer when it was working, the same computer that had all these problems but when on the BT network it flys and as posted before my daughter has only a 3.1Mb/s connection and again my computer is far quicker than the service I have with VM.

VM have agreed that the area is now vastly over subscribed and they are unable to give me a date when it will be fixed. So in short if you have a friend on another ISP see what you get when connected to that service.

Then phone up CS and demand all you call charges back and complain about being told lies regarding your speed. If you feel really hacked off why not write to BBC Watchdog or your BBC local radio station.

joglynne
24-11-2007, 17:10
If you want to deal directly with Tech Support go on to the Virgin Media newsgroup:- virginmedia.support.broadband.cable. where you you can deal personally with the VM technical guys that are based in Liverpool.

http://www.virginmedia.com/customers/newsgroups/listings.php
http://www.virginmedia.com/customers/newsgroups/setting-up.php