PDA

View Full Version : NTL 250 modem

mriccioni
15-11-2007, 19:56
just a quick question really,

my friend has one of these and the ethernet port doesn't work on it.

she rang up to get a replacement and it's going to cost 85quid and they said that those blue modems no longer support ethernet which is why it's not working..

I've told her thats complete rubbish and to get one off ebay for like a fiver.

but just to be 100% so i don't look completely stupid i thought i'd double check and ask here!

MovedGoalPosts
15-11-2007, 20:06
Do not even think about getting a modem from anywhere other than Virgin Media. It will not work. Indeed to attempt to connect a non VM supplied modem is against the terms of service and might well be theft.

If it's a 250 modem the ethernet should work, as well as USB (but not both together). If the ethernet won't work (and I assume you have powered the modem off when swapping the directly attached computer / router), then it's faulty and VM should replace it. But be sure it's the modem at fault, not the computer or an ethernet lead.

mriccioni
15-11-2007, 20:08
yes, nothing happens when you put the ethernet cable in, no light, nothing. The cable is fine i'm using as i've tested it.

I said they should send you a replacement but they said they will charge her 85quid as they don't use them ones anymore.

so i said get a second hand one off ebay. and jobs a good un.

MovedGoalPosts
15-11-2007, 20:13
Assuming the modem currently in use is a Virgin Media supplied one, if it's faulty (an dnot damaged by the customer), VM will replace it for free, as part of the subscription package. The issue is proving it is faulty.

There are older modems that are no longer supplied, but they have been superceded by newer models. Nothing wrong with that, it's called progress.

I reiterate that a modem off ebay will not work. Cable Forum has strict policies on not discussing how to connect modems not provided to the customer as part of a subscription. There may be plenty for sale, but they are frequently not owned by the seller and thus could be regarded as stolen goods. More to the point they are not legally able to be connected to Virgin Media's network. If you look at other threads on this board you will see that there are various measures being taken by Virgin Media to disconnect any such illegal modems.

mriccioni
15-11-2007, 20:16
I see,

only reason i considered it is because they point blank refused to send a replacement, and have said only a new modem will work which will cost 85quid.

Sirius
15-11-2007, 20:18
I see,

only reason i considered it is because they point blank refused to send a replacement, and have said only a new modem will work which will cost 85quid.

there is a simple answer that sometimes is the only option. Tell them to sort it or you cancel

MovedGoalPosts
15-11-2007, 20:19
In which case you need to challenge why they won't send you a replacement modem if the current one is faulty.

mriccioni
15-11-2007, 21:10
thanks for the help guys :)

---------- Post added at 21:10 ---------- Previous post was at 20:23 ----------

apparently they are now sending one out to her ( a new one) , but she needs to ring up tech support tomorrow.

i told her to use the cancelling and that bt are providing her with a free wireless bt home hub.

So let me get this right, each modem is locked to a users account?

Stutz
15-11-2007, 21:23
I've got the NTL 250 modem and have just recently went on to ethernet from USB. No problems there apart from the power pack breaking down this morning. This pack was a lot older than the 250 itself so no prob with the modem. Sort it out with the 0906 number, they will refund you call costs when it is decided its a modem fault, which it obviously is.

---------- Post added at 21:23 ---------- Previous post was at 21:18 ----------

Sorry, was typing this before I saw your last post