PDA

View Full Version : Shocking virgin media installation

The_0ne
15-11-2007, 19:28
On friday the neighbours had virgin come and install some services into their property.

When it was being done the technician was having trouble getting a signal so asked if he could temporarily connect to our box while he set it up and would then remove it straight after.

So we said ok.

However he connected them up and then buggered off.

Today i contacted virgin to complain asking for compensation as well as the wire removing immediately to which i am told THEY ARE ALLOWED TO DO and therefore cant remove it because we only "rent" the box off them.

Thats fair enough but we didnt give permission for the cable to remain there run across the path to the fence and then run over our fence to the next door neighbours house.

Ive told them they have until friday to remove it which they say they wont do anyway otherwise i will cut the wire myself.

I am then told i could be liable for criminal damage.

Virgin are absolute monkeys and the installation techs are pure cowboys had no bother when it was telewest.

Have been offered no compensation by the customer services manager as there is no damage to the property.

A letter WILL be on its way to offcom along with the pictures.

Virgin will also be getting a disconnection request off myself tomorrow aswell.

https://www.cableforum.co.uk/images/local/2007/12/1.jpg

https://www.cableforum.co.uk/images/local/2007/12/2.jpg

punky
15-11-2007, 20:00
Hi The_One :welcome: to the forum

We do have contacts within VM who help resolve problems for us when CS fails. If you PM me your account details and a contact number, i'll forward them on for you.

The_0ne
15-11-2007, 20:13
Thanks for the offer but i will be cancelling with virgin not only have they done this shocking installation but since virgin took over my internet speed has dramatically reduced.

Fair enough its "up to" 20meg but i rarely see over 7mb at peak times im not paying £37 a month for 7mb when i can go to bethere and get upto 24mb for £18 a month with better customer service

punky
15-11-2007, 20:16
No worries. Hope you'll stick around anyways. :)

BenMcr
16-11-2007, 00:18
The_0ne

That is definately NOT an appropriate installation, and there is an escalations and install complaint process in place to deal with situations like that. It would be sent to the installation area manager for where you live to rectify, and they would be able to look at the issue of compensation. They would obviously investigate as to why the tech left it like that and take appropriate action.

The Customer Care staff have to follow this process so they themselves cannot order a tech to remove anything, or to offer compensation, where no incorrect charging has taken place.

Even in circumstances where damage has occured that would be resolved at area manager level as again, customer care cannot authorise a credit for that based on a phone call

hairy_mick
16-11-2007, 09:00
its whats called a temp fix a cable will be pulled for next door and the cable will be removed from your box.

Jonnymeg
16-11-2007, 18:38
Your neighbours cable was obviously damaged preventing the tech installing their kit correctly.
Connecting to your cable is called a 'Temp Fix'. This would be done just to get them on that day. Because of the work required it is not possible to pull a new drop cable on the same day and it will have been booked in to replace it over the comings days.
Ask your neighbour when it is being done, they should have been told.....if not they can call VM to get the date.

Cutting or removing the cable will only be spiteful to your neighbour and will not make VM attend any quicker.

Compensation? What for? You have not lost any service, suffered any damage or really be put upon.

I will agree with you on the routing of the cable though, it is shoddy and if it was a permanent fixture i would be very upset and take swift action with the scissors. But as it is only going to be a few days i would take satisfaction from the fact i am helping my fellow man.

The_0ne
16-11-2007, 18:47
The cable is there illegally did they get permission off us to leave the cable there.....

No they didnt

End of

Jonnymeg
16-11-2007, 18:56
The cable is there illegally did they get permission off us to leave the cable there.....

No they didnt

End of

Not really illegal is it?

Your upset.....but remember 'what goes around comes around' one day you may need a favour from your neighbour.

Don't be so petty.

Foo Fighter
16-11-2007, 19:01
If its only a temp fix whats the problem its a wire on your wall for a few weeks you must have something more important to worry about?

get to the pub and unwind mate :)

The_0ne
16-11-2007, 19:29
If you need anything doing get a virgin engineer to do it

they do as they like :)

piggy
16-11-2007, 19:57
If you need anything doing get a virgin engineer to do it

they do as they like :)

its only a temp fix if you dont like it take the cable out the install tech was just doing as instructed and in your previous post you said he did ask but at the end of the day its your property if you dont like it remove the cable!!! im sure your nieghbour wont mind.

RS100
16-11-2007, 22:44
Guys the cable is there is illegal and by law the owner of the house can remove it asap, Myself i would give VM a letter in the post and also give next door a letter giving them 1 month to remove it or it will be removed at their cost,

In court VM would not have a leg to stand on in the same way if the installer asked you could he leave his van on your drive for 5 min and then he never removed you could then remove it yourself and bill them for it,

BenMcr
16-11-2007, 23:22
This does all seem to be getting a bit out of hand, talking about court action and words like illegal!

It was not a proper install, and VM will sort it out if you give them a chance!

from the terms:

M Visiting your home

2. We agree to cause as little disturbance as reasonably possible when carrying out any work at your home. We agree to repair, to your reasonable satisfaction, any damage that we, our agents or contractors may cause at your home.

but at the same time it does say

3. You agree not to do anything, or allow anything to be done, at your home that may cause damage to or interfere with the equipment or prevent use or easy access to it.

Help!!!
17-11-2007, 00:32
LOL this is so petty, its a temp fix and all you have to do is ask next door when Virgin techs are coming round to complete the job. Its winter its not exactly like you are going to have people round for a BBQ, come on!!

vmtec
17-11-2007, 00:40
:LOL::nutter:hey just think on the bright side i didnt do the install i would have tacked the cable to your wall in a wave form lol
just to wind you up!!!!!!!!

RS100
17-11-2007, 11:45
The vm tech said it was only there to do the install then he would remove it but he did not he did a runner the nice thing for him to do was say they needed to do a repull and ask if they could leave to cable there for a week or two untill the install was done but the tech did not he did a runner,

LOL this is so petty, its a temp fix and all you have to do is ask next door when Virgin techs are coming round to complete the job. Its winter its not exactly like you are going to have people round for a BBQ, come on!!

---------- Post added at 10:45 ---------- Previous post was at 10:42 ----------

Those terms would only be for the guy next door who was having the install not the house he left the cable on;),

This does all seem to be getting a bit out of hand, talking about court action and words like illegal!

It was not a proper install, and VM will sort it out if you give them a chance!

from the terms:

M Visiting your home

2. We agree to cause as little disturbance as reasonably possible when carrying out any work at your home. We agree to repair, to your reasonable satisfaction, any damage that we, our agents or contractors may cause at your home.

but at the same time it does say

3. You agree not to do anything, or allow anything to be done, at your home that may cause damage to or interfere with the equipment or prevent use or easy access to it.

EssDee
18-11-2007, 15:59
Out of curiosity, if you cancel all services are Virgin obliged to remove all parts of the installation (including outside mounted boxes, cables, etc) if the customer insists?

dev
18-11-2007, 16:08
i don't see a major problem tbh, you gave permission for the cable to be there until he can get a signal at the neighbours (i assume as you didnt say explicitly what the 'after' referred to).

there is no damage to your property, no wall tacks etc.

as far as i'm concerned its a misunderstanding, you thought temporary as in 5mins, he meant until after whatever was required was done for the neighbours to use their own line. imo, you have given permission for it to be there and all you can / should do is find out either off your neighbour or VM what is required for it to be removed, ie, what needs to be done to your neighbours line for it to be working.

lostandconfused
20-11-2007, 11:02
Out of curiosity, if you cancel all services are Virgin obliged to remove all parts of the installation (including outside mounted boxes, cables, etc) if the customer insists?

no they are not.

i really dont see what the problem is, fair enough it doest look very nice, but as has been said it is a temp fix until the neighbour has had a repull.

you probably didnt start off on the best foot with CS by demanding compensation, why do you deserve compensation? you are not out of pocket in any way, unless your house of of historic value and this cable is putting visitors off coming?

I cant see if theres any damage to your house. is there? If there is then that should be fixed or paid for but you dont mention any in your post.

How would you feel if it was the other way round. You have booked an installation of the TV. The installer comes round and says sorry theres no cable to your house, the neighbour has said yes, and then a few days later your tv goes off because your neighbour has cut the cable.

BTW 24 hours to book a repull is unreasonabl in my opinion which is what you have given VM.

I would be interested in your response from ofcom, i would imagine it would be something on the lines of

Dear sir.

LOL

Regards OFCOM.

MovedGoalPosts
20-11-2007, 12:34
There are two issues here - the legal one, and the moral one.

Firstly to be able to route a service to one property via another requires an easement (legal right) to be created. That would be recorded by documentation in advance. It's why installations in block of flats frequently aren't possible. No such easement has been granted, therefore the cable routing is a tresspass.

Legally this is compounded by the VM tech installer not having sought any form of temporary licence from the owner to router the cable for a few days. The telling part of the tale here is that it would be temporarily connected and removed straight after. If I was the OP I would assume that meant the same day, not a week or some indefinite time later.

The moral issue is whether or not you wish to be nice to your neighbour. No doubt you have spoken to them about this and they too know the arrangement isn't permanent? Is the cable itself at risk of causing a trip hazard to anyone. If so it would need immediate removal for safety. If it is causing no more a nuisance than being unsightly then is there any real harm, provided there is a definitive date for it's removal? In the latter case, a simple notice to VM, copied to your neighbour stating it can be there for a month would suffice. ON the other hand the notice should really have been given to you by VM, rather than making you do all the running.

---------- Post added at 11:34 ---------- Previous post was at 10:57 ----------

As a side issue, if you are on reasonable terms with your neighbour, consider if they might get upset by your rushing to get the cable removed. If you end up falling out, relationships sour and ultimately petty things can escalate to larger disputes. If you do get a bad rapport with your neighbour, or worse a dispute, you might have to declare that to any potential purchaser of your house. In turn that would affect your sale price. Thus if this is minor, is it really worth kicking up a mega fuss, even if legally you are in the right?

handyman
20-11-2007, 14:09

As far as I remember Virgins telephone, TV and Broadband services are classed as Utilities. They have rights to cable your town and you then give them the right to cable your house.

After all if you cancelled gas because you got and electric boiler then you would not expect British Gas to come round and remove your gas would you. Not having such facilities available might have a impact on a future sale of your house.

The_0ne
21-11-2007, 18:55
Promised by Installation manager and customer relations that installations would visit today to remove the wire.

Have they turned up.

Have they ******* :mad:

The_0ne
22-11-2007, 18:00
Spoke to virgin media again today about installation tech not turning up yesterday (wednesday)

complaints checked log and work number etc and confirmed they were due to come but due to an "error" on the computer system they dindt turn out.

Told next available date is 7th December so nearly a month after the original poor workmanship.

VM customer service just went down another level

Jonnymeg
22-11-2007, 18:31
the original poor workmanship.

How is it 'Poor Workmaship'? I would consider it 'Excellent Service' as the customer has services they would not have had. The installer delivered rather than letting down his customer.

Nedkelly
22-11-2007, 21:11
Look at it this way if your service was down and we could get it back on by using your nextdoors feed so you could get back on the net .Or would you want to wait the 3 to 4 days or more to get a new cable to your home .I know which one i would choose .And if you were being fed from your neighbours feed and they cut it off i know it would p**s me off .:)

Madass
23-11-2007, 05:13
Why does his telephone cable come out the brown box and disappear again into that little grey box (doesnt that belong to BT or something)? :p:

Also, I see mention of re-pulls etc. but I dont recall the OP stating whether it was a brand new install or additional/renewal of services (may have missed it).

Not that I know for certain but surely its possible the technician could have been using a horse for transportation that day therefore unable to carry a drum of siamese about?:dozey:

Anyway I need to go and find my ten gallon hat...

Jonnymeg
23-11-2007, 08:18
Even that pig is laughing at you!

Nedkelly
23-11-2007, 11:12
On new builds the electrican normally wires up the phone sockets and then leaves a cable on the outside .Bt normally put there grey box over it .Where i live this is what happend so VM will go into this and disconnect the feed and put on to vms .But if BT have put the socket in then VM should run a new cable but this is not always the case :)

Madass
23-11-2007, 15:41
On new builds the electrican normally wires up the phone sockets and then leaves a cable on the outside .Bt normally put there grey box over it .Where i live this is what happend so VM will go into this and disconnect the feed and put on to vms .But if BT have put the socket in then VM should run a new cable but this is not always the case :)

Never seen this happen myself but it certainly makes sense.

snazzy
28-11-2007, 18:54
If this was my house I'd feel peeved also. BUT! had the engineer bothered to point out what he was doing and then said how long it would take to clear it up, I may well have over looked it. But he just legged it didn't he?

Talon
13-12-2007, 22:45
Pathetic!!!! Stop whinging its a cable and when the new one is pulled it will be removed i am an engineer for virgin and have done hundreds of temp fixes like this all without people moaning it takes at the most a week or two to get a repull done after that the cable will go it would be diffrent if it was you that wanted your services on.

Nedkelly
14-12-2007, 00:30
2 temp feeds done this week as waiting time for repulls is 2 weeks :mad:As installs are very busy :rolleyes:

Jonnymeg
14-12-2007, 19:10
2 temp feeds done this week as waiting time for repulls is 2 weeks :mad:As installs are very busy :rolleyes:

VERY BUSY due to the V+ offers.
Used to install about 3 V+ boxes a week, now i am doing about 7 a day!

Monty731
31-12-2007, 13:39
Spoke to virgin media again today about installation tech not turning up yesterday (wednesday)

complaints checked log and work number etc and confirmed they were due to come but due to an "error" on the computer system they dindt turn out.

Told next available date is 7th December so nearly a month after the original poor workmanship.

VM customer service just went down another level

To put things in perspective, it could be worse:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/africa/7165602.stm

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/west_yorkshire/7165500.stm

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/asia-pacific/7165470.stm

snazzy
31-12-2007, 16:44
I can't agree with your “ to put things into perspective” posting. Stuff happens all the time around the world. A lot of things happen as a culmination of the little things not being dealt with. Forget broadband. Think how the little scroats that run about our streets get away with stabbing people and rapping and all the rest of the sh.t that get away with. This is brought about by that fact that their parents don't give a toss and all the little wrongs they do are never dealt with.

Dangerous dog attack and kill people 'cos it's never been dealt with. Oh yeah, government may bring out some new dangerous dogs act. But if now one givers a crap about it, and no one is interested in enforcing it you may as well not bother.

They're complaining in the press about the amount of Polls that have come into England. They expected 13,500 and they say that it's more like 800,000 to 1,000,000. Well is it any wonder when you give people money for free, housing, NHS and so on. I can't think of a single place I could go to where I could get everything I need for free.

As for broadband and the VM service in general. From my perspective it has gotten worse over the last quarter. The little things have most definitely not been dealt with. Hence one of the few options left, is to just to tell them to stick it where the sun don't shine.

sollp
31-12-2007, 17:08
Your neighbours cable was obviously damaged preventing the tech installing their kit correctly.
Connecting to your cable is called a 'Temp Fix'. This would be done just to get them on that day. Because of the work required it is not possible to pull a new drop cable on the same day and it will have been booked in to replace it over the comings days.
Ask your neighbour when it is being done, they should have been told.....if not they can call VM to get the date.

Cutting or removing the cable will only be spiteful to your neighbour and will not make VM attend any quicker.

Compensation? What for? You have not lost any service, suffered any damage or really be put upon.

I will agree with you on the routing of the cable though, it is shoddy and if it was a permanent fixture i would be very upset and take swift action with the scissors. But as it is only going to be a few days i would take satisfaction from the fact i am helping my fellow man.

You do not use the next door neighbour as a Temporary fix full stop, they have no right to do this full stop

Jonnymeg
31-12-2007, 18:27
:monkey:You do not use the next door neighbour as a Temporary fix full stop, they have no right to do this full stop

Well in the real world this happens all the time. Full stop.
They have the right to do this if the asked the neighbour if they could. Full stop.

chamoan
01-01-2008, 00:44
On friday the neighbours had virgin come and install some services into their property.

When it was being done the technician was having trouble getting a signal so asked if he could temporarily connect to our box while he set it up and would then remove it straight after.

So we said ok.

However he connected them up and then buggered off.

Today i contacted virgin to complain asking for compensation as well as the wire removing immediately to which i am told THEY ARE ALLOWED TO DO and therefore cant remove it because we only "rent" the box off them.

Thats fair enough but we didnt give permission for the cable to remain there run across the path to the fence and then run over our fence to the next door neighbours house.

Ive told them they have until friday to remove it which they say they wont do anyway otherwise i will cut the wire myself.

I am then told i could be liable for criminal damage.

Virgin are absolute monkeys and the installation techs are pure cowboys had no bother when it was telewest.

Have been offered no compensation by the customer services manager as there is no damage to the property.

A letter WILL be on its way to offcom along with the pictures.

Virgin will also be getting a disconnection request off myself tomorrow aswell.

https://www.cableforum.co.uk/images/local/2007/12/1.jpg

https://www.cableforum.co.uk/images/local/2007/12/2.jpg

Rather petty, i find the pig ornament laying on its back with legs in the air showing its genitals more shocking :dunce:

sollp
01-01-2008, 15:57
:monkey:

Well in the real world this happens all the time. Full stop.
They have the right to do this if the asked the neighbour if they could. Full stop.

Well this is bad practice and shouldn't be allowed to happen for the very reason the OP is having the issue, whether he allowed them to or not.

The neighbour was doing his neighbour a favour, but he should not have been asked by the installers to do this. Again poor installations giving VM a bad name.

PS, I do live and work in the real world.

Jonnymeg
01-01-2008, 19:59
Well this is bad practice and shouldn't be allowed to happen for the very reason the OP is having the issue, whether he allowed them to or not.

So is this your personal opinion or do you work for VM and are stating company operating procedures?

I personally do not see why this should not happen. There are MANY people who do not have a problem with it. And MANY people who have benefited from it.

sollp
01-01-2008, 23:14
So is this your personal opinion or do you work for VM and are stating company operating procedures?

I personally do not see why this should not happen. There are MANY people who do not have a problem with it. And MANY people who have benefited from it.

Yes i do work for VM, and yes it is bad practice, this being a good reason why it shouldn't happen

Jonnymeg
02-01-2008, 18:37
Yes i do work for VM, and yes it is bad practice, this being a good reason why it shouldn't happen

Are you saying that this is company policy that this type of work in forbidden?

So from a business point of view you would suggest letting down a new customer?
My guess is that a new customer who has a cancelled installation, for what ever reason, is more likely to cancel completely than most.

It is bad practice to leave an installation in that condition without having arranged remedial works. The actual process of temp fixes, in my opinion, is necessary to ensure jobs are completed on the first occasion.

sollp
02-01-2008, 19:44
Are you saying that this is company policy that this type of work in forbidden?

So from a business point of view you would suggest letting down a new customer?
My guess is that a new customer who has a cancelled installation, for what ever reason, is more likely to cancel completely than most.

It is bad practice to leave an installation in that condition without having arranged remedial works. The actual process of temp fixes, in my opinion, is necessary to ensure jobs are completed on the first occasion.

Look it's incorrect, this is a prime example of giving 2 customers a bad experience instead of 1 which still shouldn't happen. So from a business point of view this is the wrong way of doing it.

And to answer your question as to whether this is company policy to do this, it certainly isn't.

I have seen this many times, as i have seen many poor installations which give VM a bad name, installations cause many issues and problem so they need to do the job properly not bodge it and scarper.

Jonnymeg
02-01-2008, 21:14
Look it's incorrect, this is a prime example of giving 2 customers a bad experience instead of 1 which still shouldn't happen. So from a business point of view this is the wrong way of doing it..

So how is the new customer in this case getting a bad experience? He had an installation take place on the day he booked and therefore did not have a wasted day? On this occasion we have one customer who is unhappy which can easily be put right.

If the original customer had taken a day of work at a finacial cost to himself only to be let down then he would have been less likely to take a second day of at a financial cost to the business who had already spent £'s on securing the sale.

And to answer your question as to whether this is company policy to do this, it certainly isn't.

Well in the real world it happens every day. And as far as installers and service tech's go it is an acceptable way of restoring service as a temp. measure. You may well be of the understanding that installs are being left like this as a permanent solution.

I have seen this many times, as i have seen many poor installations which give VM a bad name, installations cause many issues and problem so they need to do the job properly not bodge it and scarper.

Because they are not followed up and dealt with correctly.

piggy
03-01-2008, 17:48
Look it's incorrect, this is a prime example of giving 2 customers a bad experience instead of 1 which still shouldn't happen. So from a business point of view this is the wrong way of doing it.

in the real world it is company policy the crew will ring in and ask the "boss" and if the relevant people are happy then they get installed off the nieghbours line. policy or not in happens all the time in all the areas, and the comment bodge it and scarper, when has it been any different?

on in an hour!
03-01-2008, 20:10
in the real world it is company policy the crew will ring in and ask the "boss" and if the relevant people are happy then they get installed off the nieghbours line. policy or not in happens all the time in all the areas, and the comment bodge it and scarper, when has it been any different?
the company policy on this is simple: if you can speak to the neighbour and explain why you need a temp run off their cable and theyre happy for it to go ahead,then thats what happens,(said policy also states if you cant make contact with the neighbour then it doesnt happen)as has been said many times previously a repull SHOULD be booked by the install tech with his team leader there and then and both parties advised of how long the temp fix will be in place.i cannot believe i am reading posts mentioning 'illegal' and 'compensation'.how the hell is this illegal,or how does it warrant compensation (unless the reason the pig is showing its knackers is because the tech knocked him over during his 'illegal' action,thereby allowing you to claim 'compensation') if youre electric or gas went off and the only way you could get your services restored was by a temp off another supply wouldnt you prefer that rather than waiting?? i know those are more essential services but the point remains (as has been exhaustivley said) that the new install got its services on the day with a perm fix being arranged ;)

piggy
03-01-2008, 20:56
the company policy on this is simple: if you can speak to the neighbour and explain why you need a temp run off their cable and theyre happy for it to go ahead,then thats what happens,(said policy also states if you cant make contact with the neighbour then it doesnt happen)as has been said many times previously a repull SHOULD be booked by the install tech with his team leader there and then and both parties advised of how long the temp fix will be in place.i cannot believe i am reading posts mentioning 'illegal' and 'compensation'.how the hell is this illegal,or how does it warrant compensation (unless the reason the pig is showing its knackers is because the tech knocked him over during his 'illegal' action,thereby allowing you to claim 'compensation') if youre electric or gas went off and the only way you could get your services restored was by a temp off another supply wouldnt you prefer that rather than waiting?? i know those are more essential services but the point remains (as has been exhaustivley said) that the new install got its services on the day with a perm fix being arranged ;)

thats what i said

sollp
03-01-2008, 21:11
So how is the new customer in this case getting a bad experience? He had an installation take place on the day he booked and therefore did not have a wasted day? On this occasion we have one customer who is unhappy which can easily be put right.

If the original customer had taken a day of work at a finacial cost to himself only to be let down then he would have been less likely to take a second day of at a financial cost to the business who had already spent £'s on securing the sale.

Well in the real world it happens every day. And as far as installers and service tech's go it is an acceptable way of restoring service as a temp. measure. You may well be of the understanding that installs are being left like this as a permanent solution.

Because they are not followed up and dealt with correctly.

Hence the reason it shouldn't happen and is not part of a policy for installations.
Another customers installation should not be messed with, i see all the time where one drop has been used to serve 2 houses when another drop should have been pulled. Your glossing over the fact that the customers whose installation was used as a temp for his neighbour, then has problems getting them out to rectify it. It shouldn't happen at all. So now 2 people are having a bad experience, how many times does this happen, alot i can be sure off.

You wouldN'T get the electric or gas company's digging up someone's garden because the next door has a problem with there service, same goes for BT. No different.

As for the installers thinking it's an acceptable way to do installs, they should concentrate on getting the installation done correctly adhering to the correct installation policy's.

---------- Post added at 20:11 ---------- Previous post was at 20:07 ----------

Yes that's because the installers are not adhering to company policy as usual, the install supervisor or area manager do not run VM, VM lay down in the installation policy as to how an install should happen and this should be followed. This is one of many reason why there are so many issues with the installation side.

If you read the OP, he states that the install Tech asked if he could temporarily use his drop i quote:

"When it was being done the technician was having trouble getting a signal so asked if he could temporarily connect to our box while he set it up and would then remove it straight after.

So we said ok.

However he connected them up and then buggered off".

So basically the installer was having issues with signal levels, wanted to use the nextdoor neighbours drop to see what signal level he should be getting,(using the neighbours as a comparison, when if he knew what he was doing he could do some calculations a get a rough guide). Then as far as the neighbour was concerned it would be put back in it's original state without the drop from next door left in it.

As it happens the installer left with the neighbours drop left in his omni box, he is not happy and is now trying to get someone out to get this rectified which hasn't happened, now causing him, through no fault of his own to have a bad experience with VM because of the installer. read it and understand his situation and realise this shouldn't be carried out.

If you worked for VM, and had any idea about the amount of issues, damage bad customer experience the installers cause, then you would be like me on insisting on them doing it properly.

piggy
03-01-2008, 21:15
Hence the reason it shouldn't happen and is not part of a policy for installations.
Another customers installation should not be messed with, i see all the time where one drop has been used to serve 2 houses when another drop should have been pulled. Your glossing over the fact that the customers whose installation was used as a temp for his neighbour, then has problems getting them out to rectify it. It shouldn't happen at all. So now 2 people are having a bad experience, how many times does this happen, alot i can be sure off.

You wouldN'T get the electric or gas company's digging up someone's garden because the next door has a problem with there service, same goes for BT. No different.

As for the installers thinking it's an acceptable way to do installs, they should concentrate on getting the installation done correctly adhering to the correct installation policy's.

---------- Post added at 20:11 ---------- Previous post was at 20:07 ----------

Yes that's because the installers are not adhering to company policy as usual, the install supervisor or area manager do not run VM, VM lay down in the installation policy as to how an install should happen and this should be followed. This is one of many reason why there are so many issues with the installation side.

you obviously have never had a problem with the gas/electric then , when my neighbour had a gas leak on a old cast iron pipe they had to dig my garden up as that was where the main service was, also i was not asked they just did it.

@sollp do you work in a office? you seem to have no concept of what goes on, procedure from a warm office is totally different when you try to make it work in the field

a good example of procedure is that as a service tech when you go to a dead stb you swop it, however thats been impossible since christmas as nobody in our area has any try explaining that procedure to a customer who has not had service for 10 days!!

sollp
03-01-2008, 21:30
you obviously have never had a problem with the gas/electric then , when my neighbour had a gas leak on a old cast iron pipe they had to dig my garden up as that was where the main service was, also i was not asked they just did it.

@sollp do you work in a office? you seem to have no concept of what goes on, procedure from a warm office is totally different when you try to make it work in the field

a good example of procedure is that as a service tech when you go to a dead stb you swop it, however thats been impossible since christmas as nobody in our area has any try explaining that procedure to a customer who has not had service for 10 days!!

You obviously have no concept of where i work, what i do and that i know exactly, as i see it day in day out.

As for doing service i have done it, am required to do it occasionally, and am fully aware of standing in front of customers trying to explain the exact same situation and others, as i have done in the past and most likely in the future.

So rather that this turning into i know more than... the OP has had a bad experience that he wants sorted, i gave my reason and thought on it and why it shouldn't happen, others can't see that, so really there's not much more to say, other that i hope the OP gets it resolved quickly and with minimal stress.

As for your Gas situation that does surprise me.

Jonnymeg
03-01-2008, 22:40

Please show me where the OP stated his garden was dug up.
Temp fixes are put in place as they are non destructive.

Akia
04-01-2008, 17:05
I can't belive someone would be so petty. And the fact the the first thing they did was ask for compensation just shows what a sad would we live in now.

Bri_G
04-01-2008, 19:53
I think it's great, he could of put Christmas lights along it and asked his neighbour to plug it in as "compensation".

Has it been sorted yet?

Never trust a man with garden gnomes (or pigs).

eth01
10-01-2008, 17:19
i agree. it's temporary, it'll be gone soon. calm the hell down.

LaineY
28-11-2011, 18:23

As for the above comment.. That's not true
My mum and dad have had a problem with their eleky for 7 years and last year the power company had enough and decided to dig up all 4 doors around them as well as the main foot path.. to change / replace cable. Now baring in mind that took 7 YEARS of things blowing in the house / stuff randomly packing in and light bulbs blowing out of there sockets.

I had an install 3 weeks ago from VM and yes i "do" work for them.
I was worried that i didn't have a drop cable coming into the house..
It turned out i did and that both drop cables were ran into the MIDDLE of my neighbour and I's garden but were on HER side of the fence.

I lost all Downstream lock the other week and wanted to hop her fence to check the omni box in the off chance something was exposed.. but felt i couldn't do so due to where the omni was situated and it was NOT in my property. I also noticed the engineer didn't tack the cable right the full way up the roughcasting. It turned out they were changing the amplfiers in the area and thats why i had lost DS LOCK.

The guy did a cracking job of the install and i couldn't really have asked for anything else other than to tack the quarter of cable he left lose up the rough casting. I didn't moan about it and i haven't phoned about it. Purely because my service is alright and the tacking on the roughcasting would be me being extremely picky. EXTREMELY PICKY! your only talking about a meter but the guy did the job on his own and did a bloody good job of it.. and was brand new into the bargain.

As for the TEMP FIX thing. I totally understand why it would be done AS LONG as it is followed up and 100% rectified to the customers satisfaction and done in a relatively quick time..

Not 3 months... 3 weeks mabey.

chrisjones
05-12-2011, 14:08
Lol all this over a foot of cable... It's not like it's swearing at you though the window or trying to steal your wheels..

techguyone
06-12-2011, 11:02
I'm seeing a few really really OLD threads being resurrected lately, weird.
I did a double take when I saw 2007 as the first date.

Wonder if he ever got his 'compensation' LOL or maybe that temp fix is still there, who knows?

Enquiring minds want to know...

chrisjones
06-12-2011, 12:34
Possible had a breakdown over said cable and gone on a crusade to fight all VM related evil?