PDA

View Full Version : Need some advice and help

The Hitman
14-11-2007, 11:50
It's my son :bigcry: He was on his monkey bike last night. It's a brand new import jobbie. All registered taxed ect. His insurance third party worst luck. He was going along a road on a estate road not well lite up. An old bloke had put some plastic sheets with gravel on the top. Outside his house on the main road. There was 4 little cones dingy ones. The old red and white cones.

He went straight into it. His new bike has been destroyed written off from what I can tell. My son had a very serious collar bone break. He has to have a metal plate fitted to his shoulder for the rest of life. When I was on the seen. I had a go at this copper and said what the hell was that doing on the road. It's called obstruction. It should have lights round it and be in a skip. The owner was told to remove it from the road. When the copper went it was just piled more near the kirb in a pile like a hill.

My son is very upset and in alot of pain in the hospital. He has to wait for a plate to be made. Then he will be operated on in the next 48hrs. What me and wife and son need to know is would his insurance company do anything. As in a claim. Can this person be sued? Does household insurance cover this ect. Will he have to go some kind of disability allowance ect.

The first thing on my mind is to get my son out of hospital and on the mend. The thing he is concered about is mainly his bike. As I can't work due to illness and my wife being disabled. Money is very tight. It is not fair to my son to have his pride and joyed wrecked by someone's grave mistake. Which could have cost him his life. Any idea's people? Any thought's. My son will off the road for the next few months. But it would be nice if he could go back on the road again and get his freedom back. Which most teenagers nowadays want.

Paul K
14-11-2007, 12:21
You need to take photos of the scene if possible to show how the road was obstructed without proper warning signs/ lights. One thing though, if the area was not well lit was your son riding with lights etc on as I would have expected him to see an obstruction in front of him. I doubt if household insurance would cover any claim against the person who created the obstruction and to be honest you need to take legal advice on the situation.

The Hitman
14-11-2007, 13:19
Yes I see what you mean. I should have said with the cars parked on either side of the road as well its like a snake weaveing in and out. I nearly went into it as well but i had my lights on full beam. I stopped. Difference between a car and bike I presume