PDA

View Full Version : Replacement Cable Modem

Gold Balls
14-11-2007, 10:40
Hello all,

This is my first post so please excuse any ignorance or lack of familiarity with etiquette on my behalf.

I am about to receive a replacement modem today to replace my faulty ntl100:home one whihc is now about 5 years old, the modem would not reboot after power off/on and only the the power/sync/rdy lights remained permanently on.

My questions:-
1) When I get the new Modem, other than re-connecting cable lead, ethernet lead and power what do I have to do ? told I need to obtain new mac and inform VM about it ?

2) Will this sort all the problems below out ?

Your help and advice would be most appreciated.

Some background.
I was an NTL customer and subsequently became a VM broadband customer, and generally have been pretty pleased with the service I have received and believe I have been getting pretty reasonable value for money.

I noticed about 2 weeks ago that my access to the Internet was regularly unavailable (unable to connect), my first port of call was to check if any maintenence was taking place by VM in my area (Glasgow) nothing was reported so I would reboot my cable modem and failing that reboot my wireless router - this procedure fixed the problem and internet access would return.

Last Sunday I noticed that the Internet was permanently unavailable and when i attempted to reboot my modem, only the Power, Sync and Rdy lights were on (permanently), no flickering when power off/on is performed.

Phoned customer helpline in India and they are sending a replacement modem, hopefuly arriving today and re-imbursing me wth 25p/min cost of call which after diagnostics took 17 minutes !.

smeagoly1
14-11-2007, 11:08
HI
I got a new modem from VM back in the summer, all I had to do was, phone VM contact number given with the letter informing me when i was getting the modem or failing that I am sure they can put you through to UK dept by dialing 150 on your phone if you have it with them.
It's a simple 5 min process, the MAcC number is on the side of the modem, and all I had to do was phone up. They confirmed my details, then the new MAC number. Power down the modem and back up, waited a min and hey presto all working fine. The operator will inform you where to look.
Quite a simple and easy process. So not to worry.