PDA

View Full Version : VM zapping cloners affecting genuine customers?

lemta
13-11-2007, 22:20
I wish VM were only zapping cloners! I am a paying customer of VM and it appears to me that I have been the victim of these counter-measures. Since Saturday I have been unable to access the web from my modem, I can only PING websites. Google literally takes half an hour to load!

I have tried a friends VM modem and that seems to work fine so I have eliminated any problems on the line or my laptop. I have spoken to Tech support twice and they don't have a clue what is happening as the say the modem is working fine when they do the tests from their end. Unfortunate I cannot access websites so it can't be working; also tried from another pc and the same problems. When I asked whether the new counter-measures are having an affect on me, he paused for a bit and then said it wouldn't; don't know whether he knew something or was just a dumbass!

I am hoping to highlight this problem by making this post here. If anyone else is affected then please post here so we know what kind of scale we are talking about, but then again they probably won't be able to log on unless they manage to get alternate connection like myself :(

TraxData
13-11-2007, 23:04
Look's like your mac has been blacklisted and thus your locked at 1k download/upload.

lemta
14-11-2007, 00:31
I have been speaking to them for 3 days now; if they know my MAC address has been blacklisted why don't they just take it off the black-list as I am a genuine customer? Or don't these Tech support guys know what is happening?

TraxData, do you know, if and, how long it takes for it to be de-listed automatically?

TraxData
14-11-2007, 00:41
I have been speaking to them for 3 days now; if they know my MAC address has been blacklisted why don't they just take it off the black-list as I am a genuine customer? Or don't these Tech support guys know what is happening?

TraxData, do you know, if and, how long it takes for it to be de-listed automatically?

If your mac is blacklisted its a permanent measure.

Tech support wont know anything about it, you'd have to try higher up.

v0id
14-11-2007, 02:25
When the zap a cloners modem, I thought it killed the connection (and bricked the modem) completely, so how is the OP able to successfully ping websites :/

TraxData
14-11-2007, 02:34
When the zap a cloners modem, I thought it killed the connection (and bricked the modem) completely, so how is the OP able to successfully ping websites :/

Nope.

It's different for every area.

Some areas just get the mac blacklisted and limited to 1k/1k

Sirius
14-11-2007, 06:19

All you need do is ask for a new modem from what i have been told.

This is the type of person VM are up against. This qoute is from a member of another forum.

we could always fight back. It will be interesting to see what vm do if every cloner sets there mac to one of the same/there own ubr

after they roll this out
the amount of clones there are it would cost vm dear and they man change there mind fast

ps FOR ANY VM STAFF READING TRY IT
AND i GOt 20 MODEMS HERE AND YOUR GETTING 20 CUSTERMERS MODEMS GOING OFF LINE A DAY AND IL BE ENCOREGING EVERY OTHER CLONE USER I KNOW TO DO THE SAME HAVE FUN AT VM GUYS

THATS GOING TO COST YOU IN NEW MODEMS AND LOSE OF CUSTOMERS

That is the mindset of the idiots who are cloning. I also left the spelling as it was as well.

So looking at that post it could be a cloner in your area that has done this to you and not VM. That is why i posted that quote above

lemta
14-11-2007, 11:24
VM finally admitted that my MAC/modem had been blacklisted after I pursued them down that line. The tech support guys don't know this info and they had to contact 'higher up' to get it. They are now going to send out a new modem.

I can see this being a really big mess for VM customers. I am sure I am not the first and the last to have to go through this ordeal! :(

DJTekno
14-11-2007, 11:44
To be honest, in my opinion, it's short term pain for long term gain. The sooner the cloners are expunged from the network, the happier i'll be.;):)

Mick Fisher
14-11-2007, 18:10
VM finally admitted that my MAC/modem had been blacklisted after I pursued them down that line. The tech support guys don't know this info and they had to contact 'higher up' to get it. They are now going to send out a new modem.

I can see this being a really big mess for VM customers. I am sure I am not the first and the last to have to go through this ordeal! :(
I feel your pain.
Once again genuine subs are paying the penalty for VM's short sightedness in it's blind persuit of short term profit.

xpod
14-11-2007, 20:00
This is the type of person VM are up against. This qoute is from a member of another forum.

I dont know,seeing some of the erm...literacy skilz going on over yonder is quite ENCOREGING if you ask me.:D

I again had an enginner out again today,not really my idea initially but i somehow ended up at Tech Supprt again last Friday,only on the advice of Customer Relations.Long stort that in itself...
TS had been the very last thing i`d planned on doing though...ever again if i could help it.
After an hour of the usual fun & games though,including "i see your using a wireless router sir"....EH?.Not even a wired router here(as such) never mind any wireless router.(Delhi)
Anyway my only option was another new modem(she was then blaming packet loss) or another engineer so i chose the latter to cover both bases.

The short story is that i took a day off to watch him visit speedtest.net,till i showed him the better ways of testing things of course....strange!!
The long story is that there is alledgedly work happening on the 21st of this month, with regard to our own area anyway.This was the info i got after he himself called someone back at base camp with my Mac address.Someone "in the know" apparently.
Seemingly a couple of hundred more IP Addrresses are also being added to our ubr(?) although how that will help i dont quite know..
I always have the same ip address anyway,unless i make it change.
Mabey i mis-understood him and what he really meant was that a couple of 100 more ip addresses needed to be added to cover a few 100 new sub-scriptions being signed up for ,sure sounds the more plausible eh.

He was honest enough about 20Mb matters overall though,or just reciting the same old speil.He said that a few place he visted were indeed the users faults themselves but he freely acknowlaged that many many more were nothing to do with things at user level and just a case of a sub-standard bb due to sub-standard network and over-subscription.
I more than proved our ends fine...all ends of it.:)

Heres hoping for the 21st though......mmmm?.........:sleep::erm::sleep:

|Kippa|
14-11-2007, 20:43
Out of curiousity I really know feck all about protocols used with regards to cable modems. I have briefly looked at the DOCSIS standards in wikipedia, I am curious, to the techies that know the latest DOCSIS 3 protocols are there any new security measures that will be implemented with regards to the new DOCSIS 3 compatible modems that will work against the fecking cloners?

Sirius
14-11-2007, 20:57
Out of curiosity I really know feck all about protocols used with regards to cable modems. I have briefly looked at the DOCSIS standards in wikipedia, I am curious, to the techies that know the latest DOCSIS 3 protocols are there any new security measures that will be implemented with regards to the new DOCSIS 3 compatible modems that will work against the fecking cloners?

There are lots of new options, However neither VM or the people involved in the roll out of Docsis 3 systems will be explaining them to anyone outside of the company, Its a security sort of thing :)

TimIgoe
14-11-2007, 21:04
I can see why they want to keep it locked up - but at the same time it is interesting to know how things work - i'm one of those that likes to find out how stuff i own does work (to some degree or another)

When ADSL came about properly, I read quite a bit about how it worked - thinkbroadband.com provided a good few diagrams and descriptions of the infrastructure of DSL.