PDA

View Full Version : Changing modem on my account?

pootler
12-11-2007, 20:28
Hello all,

First time on here so this is probably a stupid question so don't shoot me down too quick.

Tried customer service, but don't think they were talking my language - literally ;)

I registered with VM a month ago and was up and running very quickly.
I am now trying to replace the exsiting modem.
everything seems to recognise everything with my replacement, but when I go through the broadband setup CD, when i get to entering my PIN and surname it says that the account already has a modem associated with it?(their own I presume)
I can only presume VM have to re-set something for me to change modem?
As explained they were not very helpful on the phone but I would have thought this is a very common occurence?

Any help many thanks

Pootler

gaffer_gump
12-11-2007, 20:42
Changing it to what? you can only use the modem you were supplied with as it is all tied up together with your account..

And :welcome: to the forum

pootler
12-11-2007, 20:58
Thanks Gaffer,

My thinking was this.
I already had an older NTL 200 broadband modem - with a usb port as well as ethernet.
To tide me over prior to buying a wirless modem /router ( so that I can connect 2+ computers), i thought I'd use the ethernet connection for one computer and the usb connector for the other. i am not interested in screaming broadband feeds, and Googling around suggested that as a possibilty.

Surely i am not shackled to the original modem ? How do other people upgrade to more sopisticated cable modems ?

thanks (for the welcome as well)

pootler :)

Peil
12-11-2007, 21:09
the only way you can share your link amongst two machines is to plug a router into the ethernet port on the modem and take it from there - wired or wireless connections form the router to your machines.

Halcyon
12-11-2007, 21:10
Your connection will not work properly if you connect both the USB and ethernet cables.

To share an internet connection you need a router.
If you are on a cable connection, you need a standard cable router.
If you have a seperate modem that plugs into your phone (not cable), you will need an ADSL router.

JohnHorb
12-11-2007, 21:14
On the OLDER modems which still support USB, you can only use USB or Ethernet, NOT both. The only ways to use two computers at the same time are

a) a router
b) One computer with two network connections - one to the modem, the other to the second computer, and ICS (Internet Connection Sharing) set up.

b) has the disadvantage that the 'bridge' computer must be running for the second computer to connect.

homealone
12-11-2007, 21:22
The only legitimate way to get the modem changed is to have an engineer round to swap it out - if there is nothing wrong with the original you will be charged.

Why do you think the NTL200 isn't suitable?

btw, do not buy a combined modem/router, this will be designed for adsl & will not work with the VM cable internet service....

JohnHorb
12-11-2007, 21:25
The only legitimate way to get the modem changed is to have an engineer round to swap it out - if there is nothing wrong with the original you will be charged.

Why do you think the NTL200 isn't suitable?

btw, do not buy a combined modem/router, this will be designed for adsl & will not work with the VM cable internet service....

As I read it, the OP has a 255, but was looking to 'downgrade' to the 200, as it has both USB and Ethernet ports. He/she thought they could connect two computers using the 200, one on ethernet, one on USB.

pootler
12-11-2007, 22:04
Thanks all

Think I'll go back to Talk talk (......only joking).
Looks like I'll have to get either another NIC card and go ICS (my computer is always powered ), or investigate if there is any way i can configure my OZENDA wireless (ADSL) modem /router to expand my single ethernet connection.

Time to google again.

Pootler

chickendippers
12-11-2007, 23:23
investigate if there is any way i can configure my OZENDA wireless (ADSL) modem /router to expand my single ethernet connection.

Not possible....unless you can somehow hook it up to the ICS NIC.

Dai
13-11-2007, 00:02
routers are cheap as chips these days and ICS is flaky at best.
do yourself a favour and do the job properly.

pootler
13-11-2007, 14:44
Once again Thanks all

Pootler