PDA

View Full Version : Can't receive calls from non-VM phones

Sinate
12-11-2007, 17:35
Hi everyone,

My grandparents have recently moved from BT to VM. Had a bit of a problem getting their old BT number ported across, but finally got it done last Friday (or so I thought). I checked it on my VM phone.

On Sunday a relative phoned saying they couldn't get through, "Number unattainable". "But I checked it Friday night", I said. Afterwards, I checked on my mobile and they were right, I got a call failed. Then I phoned from my VM landline and got through fine. It was still working.

I've just been off the phone with CS and they seemed to say there was a fault on the network and it would be fixed, so keep trying.

Have I just been fobbed off? Anybody know anything about such a problem of not being able to get through to a VM phone from a non-VM phone?

Thanks,

Steve.

PS. They are in the Southampton area.

Marge
12-11-2007, 17:55
Sounds more to me like the number port hasn't actually completed successfully, I would ring back and ask C/S to check with Number Port the status of the porting. I have heard of this before so it's not uncommon.

Sinate
16-11-2007, 09:28
Hi,

Just an update. I managed to get around the 151 CS hell (by calling the main switchboard number) and get some solid answers. All 151CS kept saying was that you would get a call back in 48 hours, then 24 hours. There was no feeling that anybody was doing anything.

When I did speak to somebody in the Complaints department, they said it was BT fault and that it should be fixed by next Monday (19 Nov). We will see. Had a strange moment at the end of the call when I didn't say thank you, but kept saying "We'll see on Monday". I think they get freaked out if you don't end the call. Try it next time. Just say nothing for a while and see what happens (note this probably doesn't work in 150/151 land).

progers
17-11-2007, 16:25
same thing happened to me when I first changed to ntl.

Looks as though the number port has worked for outgoing calls but the incoming calls are dying somewhere between BT outgoing and VM incoming and giving you NU tone.

My bet is it's a VM problem (but they'll blame BT)

on in an hour!
17-11-2007, 17:52
Hi everyone,

My grandparents have recently moved from BT to VM. Had a bit of a problem getting their old BT number ported across, but finally got it done last Friday (or so I thought). I checked it on my VM phone.

On Sunday a relative phoned saying they couldn't get through, "Number unattainable". "But I checked it Friday night", I said. Afterwards, I checked on my mobile and they were right, I got a call failed. Then I phoned from my VM landline and got through fine. It was still working.

I've just been off the phone with CS and they seemed to say there was a fault on the network and it would be fixed, so keep trying.

Have I just been fobbed off? Anybody know anything about such a problem of not being able to get through to a VM phone from a non-VM phone?

Thanks,

Steve.

PS. They are in the Southampton area.
hi,
try plugging a phone back into the BT socket and making a call,if you can do this it means the No hasnt been 'ported over' properly.this sounds like the likeliest cause as when the port hasnt gone over you can receive calls from 'cable' phones when plugged into your VM socket,but other BT users and mobile callers wont be able to get through when plugged into the VM socket :(

Akia
19-11-2007, 12:30
Hi,

Just an update. I managed to get around the 151 CS hell (by calling the main switchboard number) and get some solid answers. All 151CS kept saying was that you would get a call back in 48 hours, then 24 hours. There was no feeling that anybody was doing anything.

When I did speak to somebody in the Complaints department, they said it was BT fault and that it should be fixed by next Monday (19 Nov). We will see. Had a strange moment at the end of the call when I didn't say thank you, but kept saying "We'll see on Monday". I think they get freaked out if you don't end the call. Try it next time. Just say nothing for a while and see what happens (note this probably doesn't work in 150/151 land).

Thats because as a rule you would never hang up on a customer even if you have finnished the call (unless its blindingly obvious that they have not put the phone down correctly, i.e you can hear them talking to someone else ect, you would always wait for the customer to terminate the call. Also they keep track of how many calls are actully released by advisor and obviously if its higher then the floor average then start to ask questions.

---------- Post added at 12:30 ---------- Previous post was at 12:26 ----------

I've had to deal with the same thing for a customer before. I don't work in ports but the way they explained it to me was the the number wasn't pointing to VM. A bit like call divert. When you first ring the number its first routed to BT and then BT forward it on to VM. Which would explain why if you rang from a VM line the number rang but from a BT line it didn't. But please someone correct me if I'm wrong.