PDA

View Full Version : replacing element in electric fan oven

Mr_love_monkey
11-11-2007, 14:31
The element has gone again in my oven, so have decided to replace it myself - now I know what I am supposed to do in theory.. however I am being thwarted by the fan itself, in as much as I can't get it off to remove the element - anyone got any tips on this? - is there something I am doing wrong?

Basically I have tried undoing the hexagonal nut, but the thing just will not shift.

Pictures attached

tweetypie/8
11-11-2007, 14:52
The element has gone again in my oven, so have decided to replace it myself - now I know what I am supposed to do in theory.. however I am being thwarted by the fan itself, in as much as I can't get it off to remove the element - anyone got any tips on this? - is there something I am doing wrong?

Basically I have tried undoing the hexagonal nut, but the thing just will not shift.

Pictures attached

yep,buy a new oven ;)

Mr_love_monkey
11-11-2007, 14:54
yep,buy a new oven ;)

yeah, thanks for that :)

found out it's a left handed thread on the bolt - so I need to turn clockwise :)

Wicked_and_Crazy
11-11-2007, 15:05
Looks like the fan has a woodruff key so if you lock the fan from turning by jamming it you should be able to loosen the nut

Mr_love_monkey
11-11-2007, 15:38
Looks like the fan has a woodruff key so if you lock the fan from turning by jamming it you should be able to loosen the nut

yeah, that's what I thought - problem was I was turning anti-clockwise, when I should have been goingclockwise :)

it's off now - so now just have to get the new element tomorrow

Hugh
11-11-2007, 15:56
yeah, that's what I thought - problem was I was turning anti-clockwise, when I should have been goingclockwise :)

Story of your life, really..... :D

Good luck replacing the element.

looselipsuk
11-11-2007, 18:11

Pictures attached

I notice you say 'The element has gone again in my oven'. Normally a fan oven element will last for years and would suggest if yours is not lasting long that you consider changing the fan motor as well.
If the fan is not spinning at full speed this will dramatically reduce the life span of the element.

Graham M
11-11-2007, 20:02
Good advice!

SOSAGES
11-11-2007, 21:26
i replaced mine the other day ..it was not fun crawling at the back of a dirty oven fiddling with metal bits and stuff ///

Mr_love_monkey
12-11-2007, 08:49
I notice you say 'The element has gone again in my oven'. Normally a fan oven element will last for years and would suggest if yours is not lasting long that you consider changing the fan motor as well.
If the fan is not spinning at full speed this will dramatically reduce the life span of the element.

yeah, but that would require more effort than I currently posses :)
To be honest I'd be a bit too concerned about pulling the oven apart even more than I have already - I'm going in through the front, as it's a fitted oven, so the amount of access I have is limited...

Graham M
12-11-2007, 09:44
Normally all that holds a "fitted" oven into the cabinet is 4 screws anyway!

Mr_love_monkey
12-11-2007, 09:51
Normally all that holds a "fitted" oven into the cabinet is 4 screws anyway!

Yeah, I know - but it's added hassle I could do without right now.

Spares place say they haven't got any in stock, so they can order it for tomorrow - annoying since I wanted to fit it tonight.
Still it's not urgent as we have the top oven to use.

Lord Nikon
13-11-2007, 05:56
Just a small point, from the look of that the fan didn't need to be removed, the element surrounds it, though you will need to pull the oven out to change the terminals on the back of the element.

Mr_love_monkey
13-11-2007, 06:50
Just a small point, from the look of that the fan didn't need to be removed, the element surrounds it, though you will need to pull the oven out to change the terminals on the back of the element.
You do need to move the fan, one of the screws for supporting the element sits behind the fan - and it can all be done without pulling the oven out

Mr_love_monkey
13-11-2007, 21:27
element replaced - oven working - yay me!

Hugh
13-11-2007, 21:33
See - you're not completely useless, no matter what Mrs_l_m says.

Wicked_and_Crazy
13-11-2007, 21:46
element replaced - oven working - yay me!

When are the dinner invites going out?

Mr_love_monkey
13-11-2007, 22:00
See - you're not completely useless, no matter what Mrs_l_m says.

Almost, but not quite :)

---------- Post added at 22:00 ---------- Previous post was at 22:00 ----------

When are the dinner invites going out?
You didn't get yours? - hmm must have got lost in the post...

Wicked_and_Crazy
13-11-2007, 23:11
You didn't get yours? - hmm must have got lost in the post...

No problem, the intention was there so ill be round tomorrow night :D

Mr_love_monkey
13-11-2007, 23:58
No problem, the intention was there so ill be round tomorrow night :D

Oh such a shame, you were supposed to come round tonight - we're out tomorrow

danielf
14-11-2007, 00:23
Oh such a shame, you were supposed to come round tonight - we're out tomorrow

Good, cause there's going to quite a few of us. At least 40 from CF, and a few hundred 'mates' off the web. Should be fun :)

Mr_love_monkey
14-11-2007, 00:26
Good, cause there's going to quite a few of us. At least 40 from CF, and a few hundred 'mates' off the web. Should be fun :)

damn, my party invite hasn't been posted on facebook again??? - I've only just got the stains out of the cat from last time

danielf
14-11-2007, 00:36
damn, my party invite hasn't been posted on facebook again??? - I've only just got the stains out of the cat from last time

Ah, your cat. I remember it well... :)

Download Failed (1)

Mr_love_monkey
14-11-2007, 00:39
Ah, your cat. I remember it well... :)

http://www.hizone.info/data/2003/07/09/images/cat_in_a_bottle.jpg

Waiter! there's a some hair in my glass!

danielf
14-11-2007, 00:45
Waiter! there's a some hair in my glass!

Ermm, surely you remember? It was your house, your Sparta Moscow glass and your cat...