PDA

View Full Version : Re plastering the house

graham.hine@blue
10-11-2007, 20:12
I am replastering the room where the cable inlet box was fixed to the wall. I have removed the old plaster and to replaster need to remove the cover of the inlet box but it is mechanically fixed with a type of fitting I have never seen before - not a screw, torx or alun bolt. Looks like a small washer on a small metal post. Does anyone know how to get the cover off?

Stuart
10-11-2007, 20:58
Welcome to the forum. As you posted your thread in our articles section, people would have been unable to answer. I've moved it to the correct forum.

goldoni
10-11-2007, 21:43
:welcome: can you post a photo of the fixing?

themelon
12-11-2007, 08:13
Sounds like it may be a rivet, god only knows why that was used though. You will either have to drill the rivet out with a very small metal drill bit or break the box open and buy a new one from the net.

fatmat8
12-11-2007, 12:59
sounds like a circlip which requires compression with a pair of long nose pliers

graham.hine@blue
12-11-2007, 18:46
Thanks for your help. Please see attached photo. If I can't get the cover off I can't screw the backing plate to the wall.15341

homealone
12-11-2007, 20:05
Thanks for your help. Please see attached photo. If I can't get the cover off I can't screw the backing plate to the wall.15341

That looks like a 'star washer', you can remove it by prising with a small screwdriver, but you'll probably damage it, so will need to get a new one of the right size to put things back together.

However, try not to damage the central post the washer is pushed onto, especially the groove into which the tines of the washer engage, or it may not go back together again, at all.

goldoni
13-11-2007, 09:24
That looks like a 'star washer', you can remove it by prising with a small screwdriver, but you'll probably damage it, so will need to get a new one of the right size to put things back together.

However, try not to damage the central post the washer is pushed onto, especially the groove into which the tines of the washer engage, or it may not go back together again, at all.

What he said :) you get the same sort of fitting in plastic plumbing fittings. It may be best to use a wire cutter to cut the fixing as they are a bugger to get off,,,or lift each leg of the fixing while trying to prize it off.

Hope this helps

graham.hine@blue
13-11-2007, 22:08
Thanks homealone - a star washer sounds right to me, but it sits in a recess so will be difficult to lever off. Any way I'm going to give it a go - it's got to come off tomorrow - the plasterer is due on Thursaday. Thanks.

homealone
13-11-2007, 23:30
Thanks homealone - a star washer sounds right to me, but it sits in a recess so will be difficult to lever off. Any way I'm going to give it a go - it's got to come off tomorrow - the plasterer is due on Thursaday. Thanks.

np, goldoni has a good point regarding the use of a wire cutter - only if you have a suitable replacement washer, of course - and the suitable sized socket & hammer ;)

Chicken
13-11-2007, 23:54
To me it looks more like the sort of screws heads used on certain games consoles; whose screw head is a bump with grooves down the sides....?

I've undone those before now with a pair of wire cutters, fitting the tips of the cutters in the grooves and unscrewing - but you need a small pair of wire cutters and enough clearance to be able to actually turn the screw in.

Lord Nikon
14-11-2007, 05:44
Those are system zero type screws, just get a cheap flat screwdriver and file a notch in the middle carefully until the 2 spikes you have left will grip either side of the head, or buy a security bit set from your local tool shop or maplin.

goldoni
14-11-2007, 15:13
Sorry about the previous post but I have just expanded the picture. At first it looks like a spring clip with four legs holding on a shaft but on closer inspection it’s a security fixing and as posted Maplins if you don’t have a Maplins near you try Halfords.
Hint push some blue-tack into the screw head to get the pattern.

Jonnymeg
14-11-2007, 16:21
They are just like screws with a strange head.
Get some small pliers on grip it and turn the same way as you would with a screw.
You may ruin the heads as they are not a hard metal but don't worry as you can close it up with any small self tapping screws.

handyman
14-11-2007, 16:52
Those are the exact same type of screw heads that panasonic used on their vacuum cleaners. I have a driver for the job but it cost me £20 so I'd be reluctant to lend it out. I say have a go with some pliers and change it to something easier to remove.

graham.hine@blue
14-11-2007, 17:16
Success. Yes it's a security fitting. I bought a set of bits from my local tool shop and spent two hours filing the biggest slot to a large enough size.15348

graham.hine@blue
14-11-2007, 17:24
Thankyou for all your help by the way - this has been really useful

homealone
14-11-2007, 23:19
Success. Yes it's a security fitting. I bought a set of bits from my local tool shop and spent two hours filing the biggest slot to a large enough size.15348

discoade
15-11-2007, 02:15
Whack it wiv a big amma!:D:dunce:

PS1
17-11-2007, 10:03
I used to work for ntl and yes there is a specific tool for these type of fixings,however the attatched pic show the more commonly used universal removal aid.:D

discoade
17-11-2007, 10:28
like i suggested a big amma!