PDA

View Full Version : Is wireless broadband possible through a cable connection or do I need a phoneline?

LeedsGirl
08-11-2007, 18:53
Bit of a long shot...

Does anyone know if you can get wireless through an NTL/virgin cable line? i.e one that doesnt come from a phone socket? Have tried ringing the advice line but am put through to an indian call centre and I don't know how else I can explain can I get wireless through a cable ntl line without having a phoneline!!!

BT want a load of money to sort out a fault on my line and i'm only in my current place for another 5 months so don't really want to shell out on it? I've currently got a wired broadband cable via NTL if this helps at all? I live in LS13 area (Leeds). I also have a spare orange router which I successfully used wirelessly in my old flat but that had a bt phone line!

Please help! The wires are doing my head in.

x

Graham M
08-11-2007, 18:55
Yep, but you will need to buy a router specifically for Cable/DSL with a Ethernet WAN port

Gazza90000
08-11-2007, 20:59
Bit of a long shot...

Does anyone know if you can get wireless through an NTL/virgin cable line? i.e one that doesnt come from a phone socket? Have tried ringing the advice line but am put through to an indian call centre and I don't know how else I can explain can I get wireless through a cable ntl line without having a phoneline!!!

BT want a load of money to sort out a fault on my line and i'm only in my current place for another 5 months so don't really want to shell out on it? I've currently got a wired broadband cable via NTL if this helps at all? I live in LS13 area (Leeds). I also have a spare orange router which I successfully used wirelessly in my old flat but that had a bt phone line!

Please help! The wires are doing my head in.

x

try www.broadbandstuff.co.uk

MovedGoalPosts
08-11-2007, 21:05
On the assumption that you have a cable broadband service from Virgin Media (ntl), it should simply be a case of acquiring a cable compatible wireless router. Power off the modem, plug the ethernet lead between the modem and router's WAN port, plug (temporarily if necessary) the ethernet between the router LAN and a PC, power the modem, let settle, power router and let settle, then PC. Now you can set up the wireless.

Unfortunately most wireless routers previously used with a BT type ADSL connection will not be compatible with cable. Those routers often include the ADSL modem, and thus cannot connect to the cable modem. Try looking for products like the Linksys WRT54G range of routers - you shoule be able to get them from places such as PC world, or online.