PDA

View Full Version : Is this ping correct?

kendo1
08-11-2007, 13:46
so i have the 20mb service, i have never seen 20mb, not even 15, barely ever 10, today is one of the best days i have seen (without it being 3 o clock in the morning). Using speedtest.net right now, everytime it gives me something different. down is somewhere between 4 and 7mb. But the ping is always somewhere between 30ms and 70ms, i even just got a 210ms ping, and a down on 6.3mb. I thought the ping was supposed to be really low, lower the better. What can cause a high ping.

tweetiepooh
08-11-2007, 14:01
Ping is ideally low but it's also very low priority traffic ie who cares if ping fails? So if a device is busy it may delay/drop ping (ICMP) at any time. The protocols were setup before gaming and the silly reliance on ping. In fact the whole 'net structure is there to guarentee communication can get through even if some bits are missing (nuked) not (just) for the fastest comms between two points.

kendo1
08-11-2007, 15:22
ahh ok, so its not to much of a concern. Just seen that you work for Virgin Media, just wondered if the speed i get is correct, or could it be down to the really old modem that i have, must be 5 years old, had it since NTL 120kbs broadband. ntlhome 200 i think. like in the evenings i sometimes get less than 1mbps, nothing like 20mbps is it haha

---------- Post added at 15:22 ---------- Previous post was at 14:10 ----------

EDIT: my modem is actually the ntlhome 100 i believe, and on the virgin media website it says this is not compatible now, how can i order a new modem without ringing india for 25p a min

piggy
08-11-2007, 17:15
ring faults 150 im hoping they would send you one as it saves a truck roll