PDA

View Full Version : Fixing 169 IP issue

scrotnig
08-11-2007, 12:45
I am trying to sort out a wireless router issue for someone and I'm stuck now.

This person is exntl ex C&W (IE Bromley) in Manchester.

The connection itself must be ok, as it works fine directly connected to the modenm, but only on USB.

Trouble is the router (a Netgear) is ethernet only.

I have attempted to configure the connection directly to the modem via Ethernet but it will only give a 169 IP. I've even done a network stack refresh, I have pwered everything up in the right order, I have removed and re-added the NIC in "Network Connections", I have done a release/renew in ipconfig, all to no avail.

I can't see how it can be a network problem as the connection works fine on USB.

Any suggestions as to what to try next?

maverick
08-11-2007, 12:57
The cable modem will only assign 1 ip at a time,make sure the usb cable is disconnected from the modem,power off the modem for a good 2 mins.
Connect the enet cable to modem and pc,power up the modem.
If still getting a 169 ip try releasing and reneweing the ip from a command window.
type ipconfig /release the ip should drop to 0.0.0.0 if it jams at a 169 then there is an issue with tcp/ip on the pc.If it does drop to 0.0.0.0 then type ipconfig /renew and hopefully pick up a correct ip address.Another thing to check would be the mac id of the ethernet card if this is a generic 1 it can also cause a 169 problem.

scrotnig
08-11-2007, 13:15
The cable modem will only assign 1 ip at a time,make sure the usb cable is disconnected from the modem,power off the modem for a good 2 mins.
Connect the enet cable to modem and pc,power up the modem.
If still getting a 169 ip try releasing and reneweing the ip from a command window.
type ipconfig /release the ip should drop to 0.0.0.0 if it jams at a 169 then there is an issue with tcp/ip on the pc.If it does drop to 0.0.0.0 then type ipconfig /renew and hopefully pick up a correct ip address.Another thing to check would be the mac id of the ethernet card if this is a generic 1 it can also cause a 169 problem.

Thanks...I'll try all this this evening, I have done some bits already but I'll run through the lot again.

Only thing I'm unsure about is how to check the MAC is generic, not sure how to do that.

maverick
08-11-2007, 13:29
It will normaly be a generic driver if windows is installing its own driver for the enet card,make sure you are installing the ethernet manufacturers driver.When in the command window type ipconfig /all look for the physical address this will be the mac id of the enet card some generic drivers force this to be something like 00.00.00.00.00

scrotnig
08-11-2007, 13:34
It will normaly be a generic driver if windows is installing its own driver for the enet card,make sure you are installing the ethernet manufacturers driver.When in the command window type ipconfig /all look for the physical address this will be the mac id of the enet card some generic drivers force this to be something like 00.00.00.00.00
Thanks, will look into this tonight and report back.