PDA

View Full Version : 20mb speed problems- Please Help!

Billhouse
07-11-2007, 20:37
Hi Guys

I apologise in advance as I know this is a topic covered alot here on this forum and elsewhere but it really is getting annoying. I upgraded to 20mb broadband yesterday from 4mb. Previously I was acheiving full 475kbps downloads from newsgroups and other sites and was very happy.

After the change was made, I followed their instructions and reset my modem and router. After the router was reset and I tested the internet connection I began a download to check the speeds. This was before the 5pm throttling and as such was expecting around 2000-2300kbps. After all I am paying for 5x quicker internet, so I should expect 5x quicker downloads. The speed I received was only around 1300kbps. After the 5pm limit it went down to around 550-600kbps!

I have checked the Virgin Media site for optomising the 20mb broadband and changed the settings to 100/Full Duplex and even performed the TCP Optomizer and changed all the network cards to support 20mb. Still no change. The maximum speed I can get is 1500kbps. Here is the current hardware configuration I use:

Webstar Cable Modem (BLACK- Received in 2005) (I was told this should be suitable for 20mb)
Philips Wireless Router (Connected to the modem)
PC (Connected to Wireless Router via dongle)

After checking numerous speedtest sites the best I get is 10mb. Do you have any reccomendations. Please Help!! :(

Thanks.
:)

Mick Fisher
08-11-2007, 02:21
changed the settings to 100/Full Duplex Philips

Wireless Router (Connected to the modem)
PC (Connected to Wireless Router via dongle)

After checking numerous speedtest sites the best I get is 10mb. Do you have any reccomendations. Please Help!! :(

Thanks.
:)
Try auto negotiation or even half duplex, whatever works best.

Connect direct to the modem to rule out possible problems with your router.

Speedtest sites are not the best means to accurately check your speed.

None of that will probably help as the elastic band that VM use to run this network seems to have finally broke. But hey, it costs nothing but a little time to try and maybe just maybe the rot has not crept into your area as yet.
Second time trying to post this due to a mini outage. :rolleyes:

carol_s
08-11-2007, 02:41
As Mick has suggested try:-

1. Connecting the modem directly to your PC to rule out the wireless router. If you don't get a 19-20mbps speed then it is probably either the router or the cabling coming into your house. You will have to contact support to rectify this.

2. If you get a 20mbps connection from the above, try a direct ethernet cable connection from the router to your PC. If you don't get a 20mbps connection, then the problem lies with the router you are using and you might need to replace it with a more modern one.

3. If you are are getting a 20mbps connection via a direct ethernet cable connection, then it looks like your wireless is not up to the job.

When I switched to the 20mbps service a few months ago, I too was having these problems. VM first replaced the modem (a very old model I had been given many years ago when I joined Eurobell), but I was still having problems (although a direct modem->PC connection gave me full speed. I upgraded my router to a much faster D-Link DIR-655 and immediately got the 20mbps on the PC - connected via a direct ethernet cable. This also had the advantage that all the other computers on the network had their throughput upped from 100mbps to 1gbps. Unfortunately my laptop which connects via wireless through and only runs at 802.11g protocol and isn't anywhere near as fast.

Mick Fisher
08-11-2007, 03:03
Hmmm after a couple of mini outages it seems VM might have found a new elastic band. :p:

Just seen the full 20meg for the first time in ages...wonder if it's just a flash in the pan though. LOL! If you can't get it at 03.00 when can you expect it.

Billhouse
08-11-2007, 11:58
Ok. I just ran a program called Netstumbler to check for the Wireless signal. Im sure some of you have used it. I checked the signal/noise in dbm. It came back as around 67-66. Also the speed comes back as only 11mbps.

TraxData
08-11-2007, 12:01
Ok. I just ran a program called Netstumbler to check for the Wireless signal. Im sure some of you have used it. I checked the signal/noise in dbm. It came back as around 67-66. Also the speed comes back as only 11mbps.

That's about max you can get over wireless.

carol_s
08-11-2007, 12:01
Did you try the other suggestions????

Billhouse
08-11-2007, 13:00
Yes. I have tried changing the duplex settings to both half and auto. No real change. I think I have come across an answer. After running netstumbler and it locating my wireless signal, it shows the speed as 11mbps as mentioned before. Now since the wireless router is connected to the Webstar modem via an ethernet cable the speed should be coming from the modem, shouldnt it.

And this falls in line with my newsgroups speeds which were around 1100-1500kbps. Since the modem is from 2005- before Virgin (Telewest) had 20mb broadband do you think I need to get the new Virgin Media modem to resolve my problems. I did previously get fantastic speeds wirelessly on 4mb. Any suggestions. Cheers.

---------- Post added at 12:47 ---------- Previous post was at 12:46 ----------

Something is limiting the speed to 11-15mbps. But is it the wireless router or is it the modem? And I cant find out which one it is because when I connected it directly to the modem the internet wouldnt work. Just nothing!

---------- Post added at 13:00 ---------- Previous post was at 12:47 ----------

Ok. I now have the model number for the modem I have.

Webstar EPC2100- Black

I have checked this out on Google and saw that this modem only supports upto 10mb line. Can anyone confirm this.

Thanks.

r00t
08-11-2007, 13:13
EPC22100 HW1.0 Pass
EPC22100 HW2.0 Pass
EPC22100 HW2.1 Pass

You'll be ok for more than 20Mbit :)

Billhouse
08-11-2007, 14:00
I read that on this forum that the EPC 2100 V1.0 does not work as its limited to 5mb via the firmware.

---------- Post added at 14:00 ---------- Previous post was at 13:30 ----------

There must be something wrong with the connection. Why am I not receiving the full 20mb?

homealone
08-11-2007, 15:45
I read that on this forum that the EPC 2100 V1.0 does not work as its limited to 5mb via the firmware.

---------- Post added at 14:00 ---------- Previous post was at 13:30 ----------

There must be something wrong with the connection. Why am I not receiving the full 20mb?

when you connected directly to the modem, did you reboot everything?

Switch everything off, connect the modem to the pc via ethernet cable, switch on the modem & leave it to settle down (at least a minute, to be sure) then switch on the PC & let it boot - you should now be able to get a connection.

Billhouse
08-11-2007, 17:12
Ok I shall try that later. Thanks.

Billhouse
08-11-2007, 20:27
I think I am just going to order a new modem and see if that does the job. If not I will get a technician around. Just looking at my speeds today. Max 1400kbps before 5pm, Max 576kbps after 5pm. This is not what I am paying for.