PDA

View Full Version : Upgraded to 20mb - still on 4mb

nefu
06-11-2007, 21:23
I ugraded my service to 20mb today, however my modem still shows:

Maximum Downstream Data Rate : 4096000

However checking my tier shows I am on (and paying for) 20mb

Any suggestions as to how I get it corrected without paying 25p per minute?

Thanks - disapointed in Swindon!

piggy
06-11-2007, 21:30
I ugraded my service to 20mb today, however my modem still shows:

Maximum Downstream Data Rate : 4096000

However checking my tier shows I am on (and paying for) 20mb

Any suggestions as to how I get it corrected without paying 25p per minute?

Thanks - disapointed in Swindon!

if you upgraded online it can take 24/48hrs if you upgrade on the phone it should be pretty much instant also somtimes a reboot helps but the upgrade should autoboot the modem

nefu
06-11-2007, 21:34
Thanks piggy, did it on the phone (good old retentions, another cracking deal!) so should be straight away according to the guy on the phone. I have rebooted the modem a few times without success.

nefu
07-11-2007, 18:44
Still on 4MB spoke to Ahmed in India who says this is a national fault, server request has been made and modem is in a pending state, wait another 24 hours. Has anybody heard of a national fault affecting modem config changes?

shungho
07-11-2007, 19:50
Smells like more BS to me :P

Upgrade online, i'll have a look for the link you need. I had the same problem, phoned CS and TS repeatedly (about 10 times each) and just got bounced between them. My modem config. upgraded within a minute of me doing it online, something 2 days worth of calls to Virgin failed to do (and yes, they promised theyd updated it twice).

If you're being billed for 20mb but still have the 4mb config, its (according to the oh-so-reliable ts guy I spoke to) due to your Billing Account being set to XL speed, while your separate Broadband Account is still on L. Not sure how true this is, but if youre being billed for 20mb then upgrading online wont make a difference as far as I know :)

EDIT: This is the page you need to upgrade (https://client.virgin.net/signin/signin?pageFlowName=pageFlo)

zac naloen
08-11-2007, 15:36
Smells like more BS to me :P

Upgrade online, i'll have a look for the link you need. I had the same problem, phoned CS and TS repeatedly (about 10 times each) and just got bounced between them. My modem config. upgraded within a minute of me doing it online, something 2 days worth of calls to Virgin failed to do (and yes, they promised theyd updated it twice).

If you're being billed for 20mb but still have the 4mb config, its (according to the oh-so-reliable ts guy I spoke to) due to your Billing Account being set to XL speed, while your separate Broadband Account is still on L. Not sure how true this is, but if youre being billed for 20mb then upgrading online wont make a difference as far as I know :)

EDIT: This is the page you need to upgrade (https://client.virgin.net/signin/signin?pageFlowName=pageFlo)

I was actually given this explanation last night. But it seems everytime I speak to tech support i get a different explanation.

First I was told it's sales problem, so I phoned sales.

Sales said they'll push through the upgrade wait 24 hours. Nothing happened.

Then I phoned back last night and was told it's done need to phone tech support and was given that line of explanation. (it was originally supposed to be done on the 15th.)

Sounded like BS to me at the time, but he did refund the cost of my call as my problem was a "fault" at their end.

When I get home from work tonight i shall be testing my download speed if it is still no different I will try to upgrade via the web. my only question is will this screw up the billing at all? We're on the VIP service (lots of land line calls ended up being cheaper to just go the whole hog).

zing_deleted
08-11-2007, 15:40
you do not need to call tech for this call cs on 150 and hassle them there your waiting for a hit to the modem.I also am waiting to be re hit my account was mistakenly dropped to 4 meg last night(they managed to hit my modem with the 4 meg config) and im pending a new hit. Ill just hassle cs if its not done in the am

shungho
08-11-2007, 17:34
That's what's meant to happen, you phone CS and they sort it for you, but in my experience it isnt what happens - they tell you its a tech problem and tech tell you its a CS problem. I may have been unlucky, but when I got to the end of my tether phoning first one then the other, I asked for a manager. The 'manager' gave me the number for the Swansea security desk :)

We're on VIP too and our billing is already messed up so I had nothing to lose, but it shouldnt make a difference because your bill will say "XL Broadband £37" and then a discount is applied. Their billing system has you down on XL but the one they use for your actual broadband account thinks you're still on L. They are separate and one shouldnt affect the other.

homealone
08-11-2007, 18:09
the link for upgrading broadband tier online is

https://autoreg.autoregister.net/cgi/cabletier

zac naloen
08-11-2007, 18:22
Thanks for the assistance guys.

If when I get in from work this problem is not resolved I will skip phoning them and just use the upgrade link.

Nothing to lose here really...

nefu
08-11-2007, 20:57
Home from work tonight and I am now on 20MB, guess I need to learn to be patient.