PDA

View Full Version : Do you connect the Set top box to a pc to get Broadband - dumb question ?

itworks
06-11-2007, 12:15
My teacher always said "Ask" - so sorry if this is really dumb !

A friend has the Virgin cable TV & Broadband service but has never used the latter. He has a set top box (I didn't notice the model) which has an ethernet port.

I took my laptop round and connected it to the set top box and it showed a connection but no broadband. Now that I've had time to think - should I have used a cross-over cable instead ? Or is it far more technical ?

Thanks for your help

:dunce:

Paul K
06-11-2007, 12:49
Has your friend actually got the BB service and pays for it? If they do and they are connecting via the STB you need to go through a provisioning system to get the PC/ laptop working with the STB.

MovedGoalPosts
06-11-2007, 12:50
In some cases broadband is supplied using the STB. In most cases there is a separate cable modem. Your friend should know what he ordered :shrug:

If a STB connection is enabled, the connection may be straight or crossover ethernet, depending on the STB (older PACE STBs used crossover). Once the ethernet is plugged in the STB must be rebooted, along with the PC before the connection is detected. You then are directed to a registration page as the connected PC has to be registered with the VM servers. You'll need the PID and passwords originally issued.

AndyCambs
07-11-2007, 04:39
Ex Cable & Wireless used to have the broadband supplied through the STB, but ex-NTL, and TeleWest have always had separate modems. Customers with broadband supplied through STB are gradually being changed over to modems.
1 - standardisation of the product (which makes sense)
2 - there is a limit to the broadband speed which is possible through the STB.

Broadband was supplied through the Samsung STB (no cross-over cable required), or as Rob says, through Pace boxes, (cross-over cable required).

As far as I'm aware, no new customers are given broadband through the STB and need a modem and splitter.