PDA

View Full Version : Moving Home

smeagoly1
05-11-2007, 19:25
Hi all

I'm currently moving into a new location, checked the post code in the VM site, all is well, I am covered. I also noticed a very old Telewest connection box in the living room, so looking better. Don't want to change providers as I have been with the old Blueyonder side since it's conception, quite happy with it at the moment.

All I really need to know is how easy is it to transfer 20meg BB/ Phone and TV over to the new local, and is there a new install charge? an above all, how long does it take, as I rely on the internet and phone for work, really can't be offline too long. I will be bringing the modem and set-top box with me.

Don't seem to be able to find much info on it, just the request a move icon.

Any info munch appreciated plus peoples experiences of a move with VM.

MikeyB
05-11-2007, 21:18
Does this info help?
http://allyours.virginmedia.com/html/existingcustomers/moving/movingfaq.html

Can't give you much more not having ever moved!!!

lostandconfused
07-11-2007, 10:02
theres no charge and if you give at least 10 working days notice, they usually install the day after you move in

Cilonen
07-11-2007, 11:32
Be very aware of what you tell them when you contact them to arrange the move!
I moved in June, was very specific about dates, gave nearly 3 weeks notice & told them of my need to for everything to run smoothly, etc, but they still managed to disconnect my phone the same evening I spoke to them :mad:

They then claimed that they hadn't, then that they had by mistake, then that it was working (it wasn't), then that it "must be a fault at my end, we'll have to send an engineer". This was over the next 3 days, as they claimed it would take up to 24 hours for the system to "see" everything properly again after each call :shocked:

I told them not to bother as I couldn't take any time off as I'd used up my spare holiday for the move, so I was left without phone for 3 weeks (install at new house, which already had VM (ex-NTL) was 2 days after move).
BB still worked though, but it cost me about £15 in mobile charges ringing the buggers after the landline went off!

Install was as booked, went smoothly apart from BB not working - had to ring CS then tech supp (another 50 mins on mobile) to find they hadn't registered the modem to my account on their end :dunce:

One tip - if they give you your new phone number (assuming you can't keep the old one) BEFORE you move - DON'T tell anyone. They will usually give you a completely different number on the day (it will be with the engineer) and you'll just end up telling everyone again!

Best of luck, note down the names of everyone you talk to at VM with dates & times and content of conversation (so you can argue the facts rather than their opinion if things go wrong), and assume that Murphy's Law is in effect from the moment you speak to VM :D

Slyder
08-11-2007, 19:53
I moved last year, and it took a while to get re-installed. (4 weeks) but i had problems cause it was a new build.

I would say there is no reason for you to be without service for more then 2 weeks. Ask virgin what there standards of service are for moving house. (assuming they have any standards) I know when I moved it was a nightmare, but to be fair - I have read stories where the end-consumer had services on the day they moved.

smeagoly1
17-11-2007, 18:57
Well moved in today, the VM Guy came at teh start of their allocated time slot. Excellent install, the cables can't even been seen. All my packages, up and running to full speed within mins of him saying, turn it on.
So mega thumbs up from me for a problem free move and instillation. Top marks for information from the UK side of things when I phoned up requesting a move.