PDA

View Full Version : USB connection?

novacrsh
03-11-2007, 13:47
I have had problems with my 20mb service since i upgraded (5 months back highest speed achieved was 4mb) - Im connecting my cable modem to a Dlan duo device (through the electricity) which runs upstairs to another dlan - which then connects via USB to my PC - can anyone see any problems with this. I dont have a network card on my PC so this is the only viable way.
many thanks in advance.

Axegrinder
03-11-2007, 14:18
Personally i would use ethernet, as it is capable of higher transfer speed than USB.

Toto
03-11-2007, 15:53
As Axegrinder said I think the maximum bandwidth of a USB port does not support a 20Mb transfer rate....sorry.

EDIT: Actually, I did some extra research. If your network connection supports USB 2.0 on both your connector and PC, then you should get full 20Mb theoretically:

4. How fast is USB 2.0?
USB 2.0 has a raw data rate at 480Mbps, and it is rated 40 times faster than its predecessor interface, USB 1.1, which tops at 12Mbps. Originally, USB 2.0 was intended to go only as fast as 240Mbps, but in October 1999, USB 2.0 Promoter Group pumped up the speed to 480Mbps.http://www.everythingusb.com/usb2/faq.htm

That said, if you can fit a cheap network card to your PC, you will be better off. :)

v0id
03-11-2007, 16:50
I thought connecting the modem via USB was no longer supported by VM :?

Callumpy
03-11-2007, 17:09
Use a ethernet modem! Its Faster

MovedGoalPosts
03-11-2007, 17:11
USB connections aren't provided on newer modems, but older modems will still allow the feature. However, modern PCs generally have ethernet ports and since using the dedicated hardware is more reliable and doesn't need the PC's other CPU resources, ethernet is to be preferred whenever available. Dedicated network cards only cost a few pounds in any case.

However many local area network devices, especially wireless adaptors, and in this case the dlan (network over electricity wiring) system use USB as a one size fits all approach.

The OP will only know if the network setup is causing the problem, as opposed to the Broadband service itself, by connecting the PC direct to the modem, relying on ethernet rather than USB. However, further investigation of the specific dlan components may well identify if they have limitations in bandwidth. such that they cannot support 20meg speeds.

Jon T
03-11-2007, 17:40
Use a ethernet modem! Its Faster

Every NTL/Virgin cable modem that's ever been supplied has an ethernet connection as well as a USB connection. The newer NTL/Virgin modems are Ethernet only.

In the OP's case, i'd say that the USB transfer rate is limiting his connection. I don't think that his cable modem will be USB 2.0.

Also, I know this is nit picking, but if a word starts with a vowel then you use "an" and not "a" before it.

Chris W
03-11-2007, 18:11
Every NTL/Virgin cable modem that's ever been supplied has an ethernet connection as well as a USB connection. The newer NTL/Virgin modems are Ethernet only.

In the OP's case, i'd say that the USB transfer rate is limiting his connection. I don't think that his cable modem will be USB 2.0.

Also, I know this is nit picking, but if a word starts with a vowel then you use "an" and not "a"

I know this is nit picking as well.. but ntl have previously used three other modems that were ethernet only; namely the 3COM CMX, 3COM Tailfin, and Surfboard 3100

;)

Jon T
03-11-2007, 19:13
I know this is nit picking as well.. but ntl have previously used three other modems that were ethernet only; namely the 3COM CMX, 3COM Tailfin, and Surfboard 3100

;)

thanks, did not know that.

Callumpy
04-11-2007, 18:26
My virgin Modem was USB only! So i got rid of it!

Jon T
04-11-2007, 18:40
My virgin Modem was USB only! So i got rid of it!

Yes, but your on ADSL, which means your free to choose what modem or modem/router combination you want.

People that are on cable broadband are forced to use the equipment that they are/were supplied with from NTL/Telewest/Virgin.

But.....youve done the right thing for binning the USB modem. Whevever possible, always choose Ethernet. USB was never designed for networking.