PDA

View Full Version : Replacement modem and router problem

bertJ
02-11-2007, 23:01
My modem was replaced this morning because of intermittent connection faults. The original was silver coloured and the new one is black with Virgin logo. Previously I had no problems connecting to the web via my Linksys router. After the engineer departed I switched off the system (including the new modem). When I turned everything back on later I couldn't connect except by by-passing the router. I spent hours re-configuring and about 20 expensive minutes to Broadband support who kept insisting that it was a router fault. In the end I 'solved' the problem by switching the router off and then on again. I've now realised that the modem must be switched on and completely booted up with the sync and ready lights solid before switching the router on.
With the old modem I could switch everything on at once without the same problem. I know one solution is not to switch the modem off but I'm not happy about leaving it on continuously as both the modem and power plug get quite hot. I'd be very grateful for coments on this.

MovedGoalPosts
02-11-2007, 23:15
I leave my modem running 24/7. No concerns. Indeed my Linksys router and PC are also 24/7.

Ultimately the modem is a bit of kit that (rather like Set Top Boxes) does get a tad warm but is designed for that. Provided you don't hide it in an unventilated corner it's quite OK.

Maybe though it isn't very green leaving it on if you are only using it occasionally.