PDA

View Full Version : How to change MAC Address, IP Address, Slow Speeds

xiao
02-11-2007, 22:06
hey i am new here, looking for support for some people who know wat they r talking about insted of being sent to a call center in india

1)
How do u cange MAC Address?

2)
How do i change IP?
I recently joined VM 20MB, after a long run with BT 8MB
so for me change ip was just disconnect then connect
but with VM it seems impossible. disconnected modem still same ip
went to router settings, release ip then renew ip still the same.

called VM support, and note they charge 25p per min to get u to talk to some idiot in india who has no idea wat hes talking about, just looking through the VM support manual.

me: i need to renew my ip
VM: we cant do do that, the server does it automaticaly
me: ok so what do i do if i want an other IP
vm: u cant do anything
me: can u do it?
vm: we can not do it
me: ok i can not do it, u can not do it? how can it be done then?
vm: its automatic its server side.
me: can u request the server side to do it?
vm: wat u can try to do is disconnect ur modem for 4 hours
me: whatever
*hung up*

and that cost me 25p per min :mad:

3) i am getting around 3-4 MB been testing for an hour 9pm to 10pm friday area: London HA3
is this normal for a 20mb?
if i downgrade will the low speeds go even lower?

Thanx in advance

vmtec
02-11-2007, 22:12
have you tried to unplug your modem then unplug your router wait 10 secs then plug modem back in wait for lights to stop flashing
when they have finished flashing then power your router back up that should solve the problem !!!!!!

xiao
02-11-2007, 22:16
have you tried to unplug your modem then unplug your router wait 10 secs then plug modem back in wait for lights to stop flashing
when they have finished flashing then power your router back up that should solve the problem !!!!!!

lol, i have spent more than an hour on the phone wit tech guys so yes i have unplugged and plugged it in littraly almost 100 times over the past month i am with VM
and they also sent a tec guy to my home, to see wats wrong, all he did was put the dB filter
VM
to
8dB
to
3dB on VM box
3dB on Modem

and that solution u gave me, was it for 1 2 or 3 issue?
coz it seems a bit funny as thats the same solution VM has for almost every problem

PowerUser
02-11-2007, 22:19
Hi m8

before you turn off your modem do the following!.

Goto : START then the RUN command

in this box type COMMAND, This will opne up a Dos command box.

In this box type ipconfig /release

Then turn off the modem for how ever long you want, I tried 2 hours which works!.

As for your speeds. It's what 89% of the 20mbit virgin broadband customers are getting in the evenings, STM aside!. It's crap.

vmtec
02-11-2007, 22:22
ok try 192.168.100.1 username : root
password :: root
go throught listand make sure everything is locked

Sirius
02-11-2007, 22:23
Change the mac address of the wan port on your router. Its in the clone your mac section of your router software. Then reboot the modem. That WILL force the modem to acquire a new ip.

Many broadband routers today support MAC address cloning as an advanced configuration option. The emulated MAC address appears to the service provider identical to the original hardware address. The specific procedure of cloning varies depending on the type of router; consult product documentation for details.

Please note for those who think this is about cloning a modem it is NOT.

xiao
02-11-2007, 22:30
Hi m8

before you turn off your modem do the following!.

Goto : START then the RUN command

in this box type COMMAND, This will opne up a Dos command box.

In this box type ipconfig /release

Then turn off the modem for how ever long you want, I tried 2 hours which works!.

thanx i will try that to night b4 going to sleep as, i need my internet 27/7 :P
but thanx i will let u know the result 2moro

As for your speeds. It's what 89% of the 20mbit virgin broadband customers are getting in the evenings, STM aside!. It's crap.

STM??
well if i downgraded will the slow spess get downgrades to
eg with 20 mb i get 3mg
if i get 4 mb will i still get 3mb?

---------- Post added at 22:30 ---------- Previous post was at 22:25 ----------

Change the mac address of the wan port on your router. Its in the clone your mac section of your router software. Then reboot the modem. That WILL force the modem to acquire a new ip.

Please note for those who think this is about cloning a modem it is NOT.

thanx i will give it a try

ok try 192.168.100.1 username : root
password :: root
go throught listand make sure everything is locked

have a look plz
Cable Modem Information
Cable Modem : Euro-DOCSIS 1.0/1.1/2.0 Compliant
MAC Address : <Rob: deleted>
Serial Number : <Rob: deleted>
Boot Code Version : 2.1.6d
Software Version : 2.94.1010
Hardware Version : 1.19

Cable Modem Status
Item Status Comments
Acquire a Downstream Channel 586750000 Hz Locked
Connectivity State OK Operational
Boot State OK Operational

Cable Modem Downstream
Downstream Lock : Locked
Downstream Channel Id : 1
Downstream Frequency : 586750000 Hz
Downstream Modulation : QAM64
Downstream Symbol Rate : 6952 Ksym/sec
Downstream Interleave Depth : taps12Increment17
Downstream Receive Power Level : 0.0 dBmV
Downstream SNR : 32.6 dB

Cable Modem Upstream
Upstream Lock : Locked
Upstream Channel ID : 1
Upstream Frequency : 34000000 Hz
Upstream Modulation : QPSK
Upstream Symbol Rate : 2560 Ksym/sec
Upstream transmit Power Level : 40.0 dBmV
Upstream Mini-Slot Size : 2

Cable Modem Operation Configuration
Network Access : Allowed
Maximum Downstream Data Rate : 20480000
Maximum Upstream Data Rate : 768000
Maximum Upstream Channel Burst : 1600
Maximum Number of CPEs : 1
Modem Capability : Concatenation Enabled, Fragametation Enabled, PHS Disabled

if that helps?

wtaylor82
02-11-2007, 22:55
i would strongly suggest your remove your MAC address details from this screen before it gets cloned.

Also to point out:

1. You cannot change your MAC address if your referring to your Cable Modem, why do you want to do this, do you understand the concept of ARP, Internet Relay, Ethernet etc?

2. How do i change my IP? The IPs Lease is set quite high so unless there is a change i.e. new cable modem, new router, cloned wan mac then this will not happen

3. do not ring ntl @ 25p per minute with questions like this, otherwise ntl will be making $$$$ from you.

4. there are various speed issues on the 20mb service, search this forum

eth01
02-11-2007, 23:39
To change IP for Cable Modem ONLY! - Has been tested by myself...

1. Command Line - 'ipconfig /release'

2. Unplug power-supply from the Cable Modem, for 2 minutes.

3. Command Line - 'ipconfig /renew' - DO NOT PRESS ENTER YET!

4. Reconnect the power-supply back into the Cable Modem.

5. Now press enter on 'ipconfig /renew' as many times as you can. Once it returns an output, hit enter again and again. Keep hitting enter, even when the IP is something like 192.168.100.1 ...

6. You should have a new IP.

This WILL NOT work when routers are used im-between, etc. You must have a direct connection the Cable Modem via ethernet.

DocDutch
02-11-2007, 23:53
the way I have changed my ip on the vm box was to keep the modem off for about 3 hrs but that it not 100% proof.

it looks to me like VM have changed a bit in respect of IP addresses. I now have had my ip for more then 6 MONTHS.

if you have speed issues how do you measure those mate, speedtest sites or downloading say sp2 from microsoft??? most of the time on microsoft I do get my full 1.9/2.1mb/sec download speed.

I dont think this is modem related the speeds you are getting, I assume you are using a router how are you connected to that and which router is it by any chance?

ps; sorry for the rude people here :welcome: to CF most of the time peeps will be able to sort you out from here.

xiao
03-11-2007, 01:24

5. Now press enter on 'ipconfig /renew' as many times as you can. Once it returns an output, hit enter again and again. Keep hitting enter, even when the IP is something like 192.168.100.1 ...

This WILL NOT work when routers are used im-between, etc. You must have a direct connection the Cable Modem via ethernet.

thanx i will give it a try

---------- Post added at 01:24 ---------- Previous post was at 01:15 ----------

the way I have changed my ip on the vm box was to keep the modem off for about 3 hrs but that it not 100% proof.

that would be my last option coz i need my net on as much as possible

it looks to me like VM have changed a bit in respect of IP addresses. I now have had my ip for more then 6 MONTHS.

lol and they think they can charge some1 to get a static ip

if you have speed issues how do you measure those mate, speedtest sites or downloading say sp2 from microsoft??? most of the time on microsoft I do get my full 1.9/2.1mb/sec download speed.

i use speedtest.net

I dont think this is modem related the speeds you are getting, I assume you are using a router how are you connected to that and which router is it by any chance?.
i dont think so too
my the internet is connect to my modem
my modem is connected to my Netgear WGR614 v7
my rother is connected to my desktop via lan and my laptop and other computer via wlan

ps; sorry for the rude people here :welcome: to CF most of the time peeps will be able to sort you out from here.

np man its cool i didnt find any1 rude here anyway, i dealt with worse than this :P

DocDutch
03-11-2007, 07:46
xiao, can you take the router out of it and just have the pc straight on the modem via lan, see if you get better speeds then, you might need to reboot the modem for that.

xiao
03-11-2007, 11:59
xiao, can you take the router out of it and just have the pc straight on the modem via lan, see if you get better speeds then, you might need to reboot the modem for that.

already did that many time no noticeable diffrence

to change ip i tried the ipconfig release and renue in cmd
and had the modem off for 4 hours didnt work
however it was no direct to comp it was through a routher when i tried it

Sirius
03-11-2007, 12:33
already did that many time no noticeable diffrence

to change ip i tried the ipconfig release and renue in cmd
and had the modem off for 4 hours didnt work
however it was no direct to comp it was through a routher when i tried itChange the mac on your router wan port that will change you ip. I do it all the time and i can change my ip at the drop off a hat.

xiao
03-11-2007, 19:43
Change the mac on your router wan port that will change you ip. I do it all the time and i can change my ip at the drop off a hat.

can u tell me how i use a netgear WGR614 v7

Sirius
03-11-2007, 21:15
can u tell me how i use a netgear WGR614 v7

ftp://downloads.netgear.com/files/wgr614v7_ref_manual_20apr06.pdf

Page 3-7

xiao
03-11-2007, 22:00
ftp://downloads.netgear.com/files/wgr614v7_ref_manual_20apr06.pdf

Page 3-7

had a look man but that just looks confusing

Sirius
03-11-2007, 22:04
had a look man but that just looks confusing

Well in that case you are going to find it difficult to change your mac if you have your router connected.

xiao
03-11-2007, 22:20
i use SMAC 2.0 to change my mac
then reset the modem
and still no ip change

Sirius
03-11-2007, 22:44
i use SMAC 2.0 to change my mac
then reset the modem
and still no ip change

Had you removed the router out of the system because if not then you are not changing the mac facing the wan port on the modem you are changing the mac facing the lan port on the router.

xiao
03-11-2007, 23:11
Had you removed the router out of the system because if not then you are not changing the mac facing the wan port on the modem you are changing the mac facing the lan port on the router.

:erm: lol

popper
04-11-2007, 06:09
just learn to do as Sirius said, it might sound hard but its pritty simple really.

the IP your given for whatever time is set at the VM end,is derived from both your VM cable modem WAN MAC No. AND THE VERY FIRST attached device MAC .

in this case the router, is the very first directly CM connected device, so you need to change that (router/PC/Xbox etc)devices MAC to force a change of VM/web accesible IP.

all the other devices that are getting their IP/route through the LAN side of the router in this case ,have no effect on what IP the VM auto assign to you, only the first device MAC change matters and effects the web side seen IP

TrevorHannant
04-11-2007, 09:23
Forgive me if I'm getting my MB's and Mb's mixed up here....

Does the fact that the router you're using only has a throughput of up to 11Mbps not mean that you won't get anywhere near the 20Mb you're looking for?

popper
04-11-2007, 10:45
Forgive me if I'm getting my MB's and Mb's mixed up here....

Does the fact that the router you're using only has a throughput of up to 11Mbps not mean that you won't get anywhere near the 20Mb you're looking for?

routers etc are indeed measured in Megabits/Mb not MegaBYTES/MB but that wireless router is infact an 11G aka 22 Megabit max real throughput when using an 11g card/usb2 in your wirelessly connected devices/PC's.

however, it is also possible (and very common)that many of the cheap and not so cheap older routers have VERY limited/underpowered CPU's and so cant manage the full throughput with all the security options turned on.

today ,it makes far more sense if your buying new is to look to the new pre-N wireless kit that can use/push something in the regen of 100Mbit and so has the CPU power to handle the VM download speed unhindered.

xiao
07-11-2007, 13:12

AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH H :mad:

my roter is being the biggest ******* i know :mad:

i did wat is said in the quote and worked well every easy

new ip :)

then with the new ip i put it in the router i go bak to the same old ip :mad:

:confused::confused::confused::confused::confused: :confused::confused::confused::confused::confused:

i even did a soft reset by "Revert to Factory Default Settings"

there is no hard reset button on the router

eth01
07-11-2007, 13:28

:confused::confused::confused::confused::confused: :confused::confused::confused::confused::confused:

Your router IP will not be the same as the IP which is assigned to your cable modem...

Sirius
07-11-2007, 13:29

You need to change the mac address in the router :rolleyes:

There is no point removing the router, Changing the mac on the network card in your pc then reconnecting the router. ?

eth01
07-11-2007, 13:34
I can confirm that there is a 'Reset Button' located next to the Wireless Antenna at the router - you may want to give that a go, instead of going into the router webgui to 'reset factory defaults' ...

xiao
07-11-2007, 13:49
I can confirm that there is a 'Reset Button' located next to the Wireless Antenna at the router - you may want to give that a go, instead of going into the router webgui to 'reset factory defaults' ...

lol went too look closly now and damn is it hidden coz of the other holes

---------- Post added at 13:49 ---------- Previous post was at 13:48 ----------

You need to change the mac address in the router :rolleyes:

There is no point removing the router, Changing the mac on the network card in your pc then reconnecting the router. ?

then plz come on msn and help me out bud lol plz

Sirius
07-11-2007, 14:03
lol went too look closly now and damn is it hidden coz of the other holes

---------- Post added at 13:49 ---------- Previous post was at 13:48 ----------

then plz come on msn and help me out bud lol plz

You have the manual it is simple.

Here is a picture.

Note changing you IP will NOT increase you speed, Defeat Traffic Shaping, Hide you from Forums you have been banned from. I honestly do not understand why you MUST change you IP ?.

Sorry i dont use MSN and if i was you i would remove that email address

xiao
07-11-2007, 14:15
You have the manual it is simple.

Here is a picture.

Note changing you IP will NOT increase you speed, Defeat Traffic Shaping, Hide you from Forums you have been banned from. I honestly do not understand why you MUST change you IP ?.

Sorry i dont use MSN and if i was you i would remove that email address

sorry for being a noob but i know wat ip change will do and wont go, u think i am the kind of guy who gets banned from forums? :P

i know it wont change my net speed

i want to change IP, coz i was banned from battlefield 2142 they tagged my account and my ip, so everytime i spend money to buy a new account they ban that too coz its the same IP

have a look at this
Download Failed (1)

i checked the manual its confisging i dont know wat its trying to say

i will try the thing u posted, the 00:00:00:00:00:00 format
i can put in any numbers and letters insted of the 00?
in any order?

Sirius
07-11-2007, 14:20
sorry for being a noob but i know Wat ip change will do and wont go, u think i am the kind of guy who gets banned from forums? :P

i know it wont change my net speed

i want to change IP, coz i was banned from battlefield 2142 they tagged my account and my ip, so everytime i spend money to buy a new account they ban that too coz its the same IP

have a look at this
http://img404.imageshack.us/img404/4555/11248544nw6.jpg

i checked the manual its configuring i dont know Wat its trying to say

i will try the program u posted

If you have changed the mac address of your network card in the pc then if you select the middle option that will copy the mac from your network card to the router. Then save the settings and reboot the router and modem.

I did not say you had been banned ? however most people who ask to do this have been banned for some reason or other from a service somewhere.

The bit i posted was a drawing not a program.

xiao
07-11-2007, 14:34
If you have changed the mac address of your network card in the pc then if you select the middle option that will copy the mac from your network card to the router. Then save the settings and reboot the router and modem.

I did not say you had been banned ? however most people who ask to do this have been banned for some reason or other from a service somewhere.

The bit i posted was a drawing not a program.

when u r happy and u know it clap ur hand

happy happy joy joy
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ABWyXKT5qt4

it worked i put it in the middle and pessed apply and then reset the modem yay new IP

but now if i want to change it again i have to change the mac address of my network card right? if so how?

Sirius
07-11-2007, 14:39
when u r happy and u know it clap ur hand

happy happy joy joy
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ABWyXKT5qt4

it worked i put it in the middle and pessed apply and then reset the modem yay new IP

but now if i want to change it again i have to change the mac address of my network card right? if so how?

Why would you have to change it again ?:rolleyes:

xiao
07-11-2007, 14:55
Why would you have to change it again ?:rolleyes:

lol dont make this into an interrogation

---------- Post added at 14:55 ---------- Previous post was at 14:40 ----------

so how do i change my comps mac address on the fly?

Sirius
07-11-2007, 15:17
lol dont make this into an interrogation

---------- Post added at 14:55 ---------- Previous post was at 14:40 ----------

so how do i change my comps mac address on the fly?

You have already done it once by following the posts above. Re read what has been posted above and you will not have any problems. I am sorry but you have been told many many times above. I seem to be getting the impression that you want to know this so you can change you ip every time you are banned from somewhere.

Stu038
07-11-2007, 20:22
Call me Mr Suspicious if you want, but I'm with Sirius, most folks have no need to change their IP address unless they want to try to hide either what they're up to or from something/someone :shrug:

You mention that you were banned from BF2142, its non of our business on here why you were banned or why you can't sort out that banning with EA but have to try to circumnavigate their security instead. From a practical point of view in this day and age of dynamic IP address's I'd be very surprised to find them completely banning a single address. Having never played this game I may be wrong but I would expect it to have been your game serial number which is tied into your account names that has been banned so one option may be to buy a new copy of the game.

To answer your comment about Virgin charging extra for a static IP address that's because your guaranteed that IP address. Otherwise you take your chances. In simple terms (no offence meant ;))when the lease on your address is up you generally get the next one available, 99 times out of a 100 you get the same one back because strangely enough having just been released its the next one available. There may be occasions though when for some reason the DHCP issues you a different one. Then of course if there's work carried out on the DHCP or on the CMTS that your modem connects to you could very easily get a different IP

xiao
07-11-2007, 20:40
You mention that you were banned from BF2142, its non of our business on here why you were banned or why you can't sort out that banning with EA but have to try to circumnavigate their security instead.

u kidding me EA dont care, EA hire punkbuster who bann people, and punkbuster hire even balance.

EA say talk to punkbuster punkbuster say talk to even balance
and evenbalance is just a auto reply email system

piggy
07-11-2007, 20:50
u kidding me EA dont care, EA hire punkbuster who bann people, and punkbuster hire even balance.

theres to much blah blah here

Sirius
07-11-2007, 20:51
u kidding me EA dont care, EA hire punkbuster who banned people, and punkbuster hire even balance.

Well i for one will be unsubscribing from this thread.

You have been told many many times in this thread how to fix your problem. I am with Stu on this. EA aka Punk buster aka Even balance are not stupid, They could even ban you via you Ubr address if they need to so no matter how many ip address's you have it will not matter one iota.

You need to sort it out with them instead of trying to get around there security. For that reason i am sorry but i am not going to help you evade there security..

xiao
07-11-2007, 20:59
lol

Some1 added me from this forums not sirius
when i left my email for sirius
hes addy is

Either this man is dead or my watch has stopped. says:
lol
Either this man is dead or my watch has stopped. says:
its hitmanme of cableforum
凯伦 says:
hey

<removed>

can u send me a random exe file plz

Sirius
07-11-2007, 21:06
lol

Some1 added me from this forums not sirius
when i left my email for sirius
hes addy is

:shocked:

xiao
07-11-2007, 21:07
funny he thought i would fall for it

Sirius
07-11-2007, 21:09
funny he thought i would fall for it

Thats why i said remove your email ?. I would never post my email on a forum.

xiao
07-11-2007, 21:12
ya well u were right didnt know there actualy would be some1 like that out there
maybe rob can take it out now :P

Paul
07-11-2007, 21:23
This thread now seems to be completely pointless, msn addresses removed, thread closed.