PDA

View Full Version : Newshosting / Newsleecher speeds unbearable with 4mb Virgin

simosimo
01-11-2007, 14:41
My speeds recently have been awful. I sometimes get my usual speed of 450-500kbs, but recently, most of my downloads have been inbetween 0kbs to 100kbs...it'll do that for a few minutes, then for about 10 seconds i'll get my speed, then slow again, it keeps fluctuating.

I dunno who's problem this is, either Virgins, Newshosting or Newsleechers. Either way i'm paying for Virgin who've already chopped speeds, and newshosting/ newsleecher is playing around and i'm paying 8 quid a month for that too. Shambles!

Might aswell go back to torrents.....

Help?

Web-Junkie
01-11-2007, 15:11
Do a traceroute to your providers and see if there is any bad pings and e-mail your news provider/s and ask them what's wrong! I use Astraweb and have no problems on a 4mb connection.

nemesis01
01-11-2007, 18:14
Doubt it's Newsleecher, I use it all the time and have no problems. More likely it's Newshosting, I use Giganews personally and never have any problems with the speed from them.

Sirius
01-11-2007, 18:33
Doubt it's Newsleecher, I use it all the time and have no problems. More likely it's Newshosting, I use Giganews personally and never have any problems with the speed from them.

I use Giganews as well, Newshosting are complete and utter crap even when you use there European server.

rossco555
01-11-2007, 18:39
.If you can, create your download folder on a drive that is different to your Newsleecher install. I recently moved to Giganews and the download was so quick, the HDD was sruggling to keep up. Suggest you check out the Newsleecher forum, as loads of tips on there

simosimo
01-11-2007, 18:45
I use Giganews as well, Newshosting are complete and utter crap even when you use there European server.

How much is giganews a month?

I pay 8ish quid for mine, unlimited downloads too

rossco555
01-11-2007, 18:53
Its about six & a half quid per month for 25gb limit, It automatically rolls over if I go over the limit, but you get 10 conns and the ability to suspend the account if you go on your hols.

It ain't the cheapest...been there with Maximum Usenet.... but it just the best !

---------- Post added at 17:53 ---------- Previous post was at 17:51 ----------

The link is here.....I use the Silver service..

https://secure.giganews.com/signup/

ps You can trial it for three days and d/l 10gb..if you don't like it...cancel

Sedan34
01-11-2007, 18:54
My speeds recently have been awful. I sometimes get my usual speed of 450-500kbs, but recently, most of my downloads have been inbetween 0kbs to 100kbs...it'll do that for a few minutes, then for about 10 seconds i'll get my speed, then slow again, it keeps fluctuating.

I dunno who's problem this is, either Virgins, Newshosting or Newsleechers. Either way i'm paying for Virgin who've already chopped speeds, and newshosting/ newsleecher is playing around and i'm paying 8 quid a month for that too. Shambles!

Might aswell go back to torrents.....

Help?

My Newshosting account been very slow at times recently tried wifes Giganews everything ok, will change to Giganews if no improvement soon.

simosimo
01-11-2007, 21:32
I'm on the giga-news 3 day trial. Things are better, I got full download speed for once download, now i'm trying another and im getting flucs between 175-300ish.

Still not perfect, but better than 0kbs!

I've cancelled my account with newshosting, I'll most likely sub with giganews once my newshosting account runs dry

rossco555
01-11-2007, 22:19
Glad things are better.....However downloading between 4pm and midnight on Virgin is never plain sailing.

ps Read on another thread that 4meg being updated to 10meg during November, so that will help no doubt.

alferret
02-11-2007, 00:04
I use newshosting, 14 slots from US server nearly always 480+ When there is a problem from their end I open up another 14 slots on the Euro server and run them simultaneously 28 slots open.

ATM you can get away with 14 slots on the servers any more than this and you start to get restricted, well according to my m8, he was the one who mentioned to me to use 14 instead of 8.

Midnight Tboy
02-11-2007, 09:52
I am on the 4mb line. I have used newshosting without problems for nearly 2 years with speed always around the 475k/sec mark with rare exception apart from the odd hiccup

However about 2 or 3 days ago the speed dropped and keeps bouncing like the others between about 60-120k.

I contacted newshosting who suggested run the trace route, and then to try some of the other ports. I tried port 9000 first instead of the usual 119 then hey presto I was getting 475k again no problem.

I contacted again saying it seems to be resolved, and he said that sometimes the isps can start trying to cap or block certain ports.

Now I've been out quite frequently the last few days so havent had much chance to sit and monitor, however the next morning when got back from halloween party, lo and behold I was getting the 60-120k again and by looks of it had been for majority of overnight.

I then changed to 7000 and again back to 480

Now this morning I got up, and yet again its back to slow speed. bumped it back to port 9000 and I'm on 480k.

Do you think NTL/Virgin are messing with us to deliberately p**s us off constantly blocking whatever port we're receiving a lot of traffic on each night for us heavy users?

just to add, all other downloading, ie web page, ftp and speed test sites all give the full speed at same time as the newsgroup ports are being a problem

Richy99
02-11-2007, 11:01
its isnt a VM issue with the ports its a newshosting issue

Midnight Tboy
02-11-2007, 11:21
I hope that is the case. I'll be hating having to play cat and mouse with VM port changing each night if they did start that to keep my speed. It is odd though as I've never previously had this problem, so naturally worry kicks in especially with the way things always seem to be going t**s up since the virgin rebranding regarding STM

---------- Post added at 10:21 ---------- Previous post was at 10:15 ----------

and just as I typed that using port 7000 it slowed down again (after internet briefly cut off for a cpl of minutes - seems to cut out once in while since I use USB now instead of ethernet connection since new pc only has the 1 other network port which is in use) - tried 9000 stil slow, this time using 23 and all is well again. The cutout I'm sure is probably random as normal, but more to make me wonder

Richy99
02-11-2007, 11:50
other people around the world have to do it so it isnt a VM issue, its a peering issue newshosting has, the higher ports route thru different backbone providers to newshosting

simosimo
02-11-2007, 11:50
Pain inthe ass eh Midnight Tboy

I'm still tyring out giganews and its going well this morning, constantly 450-550!

4mb is being upgraded to 10mb?! nice

Rob200sx
02-11-2007, 12:26
I've had the same problem this week so I switched from Newshosting to Astraweb and am now back up to full speed on 4mb

ynwa
02-11-2007, 12:34
I use newshosting, 14 slots from US server nearly always 480+ When there is a problem from their end I open up another 14 slots on the Euro server and run them simultaneously 28 slots open.

ATM you can get away with 14 slots on the servers any more than this and you start to get restricted, well according to my m8, he was the one who mentioned to me to use 14 instead of 8.

Be careful. I was once had a warning from them for going over 8 connections, and i only did it once for a short period!

alferret
02-11-2007, 13:07
Be careful. I was once had a warning from them for going over 8 connections, and i only did it once for a short period!

Been using this method for around 6 months ynwa, I may use it for up to a week at a time and as yet I have never received an email warning me to use less slots. Maybe im a lucky one where this is concerned :)

simosimo
03-11-2007, 01:59
0.2kbs on newshosting at the moment, urghhh, APPALLING!

bazza106
03-11-2007, 08:32
Iv been using newshosting for over 2 and a half years now, Iv alwas had top speeds. When i was on the 10mb i was getting just over 11mb on 30 connections. Since iv had VM 20mb iv been getting speeds of 22mb.
Iv never had any warnings about connections in the 2 and a half years.
At times iv had slow speeds, like this morning but i just changed the port on newsleecher.
The ports are.........
119, 23, 25, 80, 3128, 7000, 8000, 9000
I seem to use port 9000 most of the time an its been fine.
VM only restrict me ater 4pm an then my speeds drops to 6mb after iv download 4gb but goes bk to normal about 1am.
https://www.cableforum.co.uk/images/local/2007/11/27.jpghttps://www.cableforum.co.uk/images/local/2007/11/27.jpg
hope the ports are some help

TraxData
03-11-2007, 16:59
Iv been using newshosting for over 2 and a half years now, Iv alwas had top speeds. When i was on the 10mb i was getting just over 11mb on 30 connections. Since iv had VM 20mb iv been getting speeds of 22mb.
Iv never had any warnings about connections in the 2 and a half years.
At times iv had slow speeds, like this morning but i just changed the port on newsleecher.
The ports are.........
119, 23, 25, 80, 3128, 7000, 8000, 9000
I seem to use port 9000 most of the time an its been fine.
VM only restrict me ater 4pm an then my speeds drops to 6mb after iv download 4gb but goes bk to normal about 1am.
http://tinypic.com/view.php?pic=4yj7v5y&s=1https://www.cableforum.co.uk/images/local/2007/11/27.jpg
hope the ports are some help

VM are starting to shape standard NG ports in some areas, so thats why some of you are getting bad speeds...

Midnight Tboy
03-11-2007, 17:07
well from late last night after having myself no problems on port 23, I got up this morning expecting the slow speed again. however luckily it had been going full speed all night which was good.

I was then just randomly browsing, and the net cut out for a cpl of mins, as in full internet loss (like it often seems to do when using this USB instead of my ethernet connection). When it came back on within a minute, the speed on newsgroup was right down yet again. Definately seems too me by that that its to do with VM, tho I guess it could be simply because it had lost the persistent connection that newsleecher had perhaps had for the last several hours to the newshosting server.

Is there anything stated by VM that they are going to start controlling newsgroup ports? and if so as to what sort of limits they're considering imposing. This if it keeps continuing I expect will cause them to lose quite a few customers, although probably why they are doing it to push away those they dont really want

scoobydoo[uk]
04-11-2007, 00:25
VM are starting to shape standard NG ports in some areas, so thats why some of you are getting bad speeds...

How do you know this?

dave.m
04-11-2007, 09:29

That would be my area (kettering, northants). This would explain why I've been getting stupidly slow speeds via newshosting the past week(pulling my hair out trying modem reboots, reseting router firmware etc.). I've just changed the port and bang, the connection is at full speed again. NOT happy if VM do this, I can live with 4-12 TS but not constant 24/7 for newsgroups. Would this be classed as a change to the T&C ?

Dave

scoobydoo[uk]
04-11-2007, 18:09
Im having to change ports everytime i use newshosting now.
Some ports are giving me below 100k/sec on a 20mb connection, whereas another port will give me full speed.
Its only been like this for the past week, hope it gets sorted soon, im sure its probally a newshosting problem and not VM

barrierfreeman
04-11-2007, 21:11
Having similar problems on 20mb. Tried multiple ports and servers. Even reset my router etc. This is the first time i have had speed probs with newshosting in a year or so of using them. Hopefully they sort the problem soon, i am going to give them till the weekend then if its still the same im gonna change i think.

edit: Just signed up for a Giganews trial account - 2.2mb/s downloads straightaway. Reckon im going to be going either with them or astraweb....probably astraweb first as they are cheaper ;)

Retrovertigo
04-11-2007, 23:45
Is this shaping after the download limit I take it? If not that's disgusting. They seem to want to advertise a 20meg service, but then crucify anyone who dares use it.

A mate of mine signed up with giganews today and so far, despite not having downloaded a thing all day, he hasn't managed above 500k. Tell me this isn't going to be the norm in the future?

Surely to god everyone is entitled to the 3gb limit before being throttled? Otherwise what the hell is the point of having 20meg? Regular browsing just doesn't need it.

Has someone from B.T or such managed to infiltrate Vm and is slowly trying to scare off every single customer?

dave.m
05-11-2007, 00:05
It could be newshosting. Done a little digging and it seems they've automatically switched non-us connections to the new euro server farm.

Here's a posting from newshosting.support and it worked for me. I'm guessing they connect direct to the US servers.

>"Yes the load on the ams server is high. Should be fixed sometime Tuesday.
>
>Use these addresses:
>63.218.45.254
>63.218.45.252
>
>ports: 7000, 8000, or 9000"

Midnight Tboy
05-11-2007, 10:38
I am nearly certain now that it is NOT VM at fault this time.

Last night before bed, on port 119 all fine. I got up this morning, and yet once more back to the dreaded 60-120 https://www.cableforum.co.uk/images/local/2011/04/70.gif.

I immediately disconnected, unticked using the newshosting server and to use the ntl/vms own server using the same port 119.

Speed flew through at 475 once more.

I checked newshosting back on port 119 and still dog ass slow. Switched to port 9000 this time and I'm ok again.

Midnight Tboy
06-11-2007, 16:00
I came back today, once again to the old 60-120k average bouncing.....ridiculous.

I've tried all the ports this time, and none of them are any better, some sitting on server too busy too. i've sent them an emailing explaining how it is them and not the ISP to blame etc.

Now, I only recently renewed my service with them for a full year, probably about 4 weeks ago (it actually auto renewed on my credit card - need to cancel that - lucky it wasnt on the one I had interest balance transfers on)....however the site claims you cannot receive money back for unused time. If they dont bring back soon the quality of service which I presume they must have agreed to give in the terms of service, anyone any idea how my rights would be to demand money back pro rata for the unused months?

Of course, if they sort this by tonight then I'll be fine, but its been little over a week now, and they palmed the blame off to the ISP

---------- Post added at 15:00 ---------- Previous post was at 14:56 ----------

It could be newshosting. Done a little digging and it seems they've automatically switched non-us connections to the new euro server farm.

Here's a posting from newshosting.support and it worked for me. I'm guessing they connect direct to the US servers.

>"Yes the load on the ams server is high. Should be fixed sometime Tuesday.
>
>Use these addresses:
>63.218.45.254
>63.218.45.252
>
>ports: 7000, 8000, or 9000"

i tried your IPs dave, after all ports not working using the unlimited.newshosting. It worked great (so far touch wood)

Wonder how they reply to my annoyed email though, shame they couldnt have been honest from the start though

KillswitchEdge
07-11-2007, 00:58
0.2kbs on newshosting at the moment, urghhh, APPALLING!

Did you try changing your port like everyone here has been suggesting? That usually fixes the problem.

I've been using Newshosting for 2 years, maybe a bit longer, and every once in a while the connection will just spaz out and start spiking all over, averaging at a miserable speed. Rotate your port between 7000, 8000 and 9000 and it fixes it 9 times out of 10.

In the 1 time out of 10, it's been a Virgin issue that's cleared itself up quickly.

scoobydoo[uk]
07-11-2007, 11:25
Getting dreadful speeds at the moment on the european server no matter which port i swap to.
I used the ips listed above and its working ok, getting 1.5mb/sec on my 20mb, just a shame as the european server was giving me 2.3mb/sec.
It looks like its a fault with newshosting, ive emailed tech support for an update as their website is about as much use as a chocolate teapot at keep you updated.

*Update*

Got a reply back from tech support saying that the european servers are basically getting hammered, and was told to use the US ones, if this doesnt improve over the next few weeks im off to giganews