PDA

View Full Version : Team GB

yesman
31-10-2007, 14:03
Team GB (football) will not go ahead at the moment in the 2012 Olympics because the SFA, FAW and NIFA are afraid that they might lose their identities even after being reassured this will not be the case by FIFA.

They fear involvement with a British team could threaten their status with football's European and world governing bodies, despite Fifa's assurances.

Personally, I can't see what the problem is.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/7067642.stm

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/7071200.stm

gazzae
31-10-2007, 14:15
It's the IFA not the NIFA

As for FIFA's assurances there is nothing to stop them changing their minds.

punky
31-10-2007, 14:25
There is a rumour going around that the embarrassment that certainly countries may feel if there compatriots feature less prominently in the GB team than others has absolutely nothing to do with it.

Shadow Demon UK
31-10-2007, 14:40
I would like to see it, but if we are honest there wont be too many Scottish, Welsh and Northern Ireland players in the team which is why i think they are reluctant to do it.

Chris
31-10-2007, 17:43
I would like to see it, but if we are honest there wont be too many Scottish, Welsh and Northern Ireland players in the team which is why i think they are reluctant to do it.

The team is only allowed to have three professionals in it. The rest have got to be amateur. On that basis I don't think we have any idea what the make-up of it might be.

This often-overlooked fact has some further repercussions:

1. The endless punditry and speculation and dream-team manufacturing is pointless, because those indulging in it inevitably select an all-pro team
2. The FAs of the home nations can shout all they like, but they have no influence over the amateurs who would be likely to make up the team.

I suspect that the British Olympic team will manage to get a squad together. The only reason this is making the news is because of the vested interests of the home nations FAs and the fact that they have big mouths and plenty of cash.

TheDaddy
31-10-2007, 17:54
The team is only allowed to have three professionals in it. The rest have got to be amateur. On that basis I don't think we have any idea what the make-up of it might be.

This often-overlooked fact has some further repercussions:

1. The endless punditry and speculation and dream-team manufacturing is pointless, because those indulging in it inevitably select an all-pro team
2. The FAs of the home nations can shout all they like, but they have no influence over the amateurs who would be likely to make up the team.

I suspect that the British Olympic team will manage to get a squad together. The only reason this is making the news is because of the vested interests of the home nations FAs and the fact that they have big mouths and plenty of cash.

I think it's only three players over 23, the rest have to be younger but all can be professional ;)

Shadow Demon UK
31-10-2007, 18:08
I think it's only three players over 23, the rest have to be younger but all can be professional ;)

That's what i thought it was.

Chris
31-10-2007, 18:13
Gooooooogling ...

Aha, you're right, the rules have changed apparently. :tu:

sir_drinks_alot
31-10-2007, 19:18
scotland will be a independent state by than :)

Chris
31-10-2007, 21:23
scotland will be a independent state by than :)

Are you putting money on that? :erm:

DocDutch
31-10-2007, 21:27
dont think it would be a good idea to have a GB team myself...

look at the standard of English football and then compare it to Scottish, Welsh and N-I...dont think that any teams from those leagues (okay other then Celtic and Rangers) can take on the top teams in the Prem League.

but hey thats just an "outsider" speaking here ;)

Wicked_and_Crazy
31-10-2007, 21:33
What other team is made up of more than one nation?

Shadow Demon UK
31-10-2007, 21:39
I don't understand what it's got to do with each countries FA's. Surely it's up to the players if they want to represent their country in the olympics and not the FA's? Isn't it a seperate organisation between football and the olympics?

DocDutch
31-10-2007, 21:42
I think there might be another reason why the English FA might not be too happy...2012 is another European Cup year so say they commit the best players to that then the Olympics you wouldnt have players left really for the start of the next season

Chris
31-10-2007, 21:48

Can't speak for the footy team specifically, but here are a few countries with a not-dissimilar situation to the UK:

-The Russian Federation is comprised of a number of distinct nations.
-Brittany is not dissimilar in heritage to Wales, although the French government doesn't allow it anything like the status or freedom Wales has.
-Within Iraq, the Kurds are ethnically distinct and practically running their corner of the country by themselves.

On the other hand, I think the privileged status of the UK home nations each having their own FA may be unique.

---------- Post added at 21:48 ---------- Previous post was at 21:45 ----------

I don't understand what it's got to do with each countries FA's. Surely it's up to the players if they want to represent their country in the olympics and not the FA's? Isn't it a seperate organisation between football and the olympics?

The organisations are separate, and it is the BOA, not the home FAs, that will select the team. However the home FAs (with the exception of England) are paranoid about losing their independent status and see this as a way their case for retaining it might be threatened. So, they have made it their business, by implying that there could be professional sanctions for any of their member players who take part.

I think it's a disgraceful way to carry on, personally. If they want to be narrow minded, paranoid and bad mannered (i.e. not turning up for meetings designed to discuss and work through the issue) then that's their problem, but trying to strongarm individuals who may not share their opinion is another matter.

Shame on them.

Wicked_and_Crazy
31-10-2007, 22:20
-Within Iraq, the Kurds are ethnically distinct and practically running their corner of the country by themselves.

Only the same as the uk corner shop brigade ;)

TheDaddy
31-10-2007, 23:12

Trinidad and Tobago got to the last World Cup finals, works ok for them

sir_drinks_alot
02-11-2007, 22:36
Are you putting money on that? :erm:

Yup :)

Chris
05-11-2007, 20:13
Yup :)

Scotland independent by 2012. Ri-iiight.

How much money?