PDA

View Full Version : Broadband lag !

crazymaniac
30-10-2007, 23:03
Hello all. I have recently upgraded my BB from 1mb to 4mb. My 1mb connection was about a year old and was with NTL.

Since the upgrade I have had a huge problem with lag.

I have ran a few speed tests and they all confirm that I am receiving the 4mb speed and upload and have also shown that the ping is quite high.

The main time (most obviously) i am affected is when i play any of my many on-line games. Don't think it matter what games but I am constantly getting around 70-100ms all the time.

I have been working MANY things out with my friend who lives pretty close to me and is on the same exchange.

Can anyone help?

I have got quite a bit of modem info. but not sure what is nessicary to post or not so let me know!

-Thanks, MaNiac

crazymaniac
31-10-2007, 12:40
So know one has any idea?

or is it because they know theres a problem and they either want to fix it quietly or not all?! :S

If it doesnt get sorted I might have to leave VM.

My friend is on a slower connection and is fine.

Richy99
31-10-2007, 12:48
its been about 12 hours, at least give people a chance to respond!

are you using a router? if so have you tried it direct to the modem?

crazymaniac
31-10-2007, 12:50
Sorry lol

No I use a cable modem.

Edit : Note that the modem is the NTL:250

crazymaniac
31-10-2007, 15:07
Could there be something wrong with my line?

I think we are having another technicion come out to check stuff out as well.

crazymaniac
01-11-2007, 11:35
./

Paul K
01-11-2007, 12:28
Might want to stop bumping your own thread as it is frowned upon in some places. You also might want to use the forum search facility as the ping issue is well documented.

crazymaniac
01-11-2007, 14:13
OK your right, there are a lot of posts talking about ping but none are actually saying how to fix it as far as I found.

Paul K
01-11-2007, 14:22
Maybe that is because there is no magic fix and it's an issue on the network hardware side of the VM connection.

piggy
01-11-2007, 14:23
whats your ping like right now? if its under 70 then it could be a capacity/traffic issue and there is little anybody can do

crazymaniac
01-11-2007, 14:30
Your right, but contacting VM to do anything is a challenge in its self. You get routed around so many times you cant actually talk to anyone.

And if you do, the last thing they want to do is send out an engineer because it costs them £85! (so they say)

My thoughts were to save time by posting hear to see if there was any solutions that I could do, as it seems im more dependable :D

To be fair, if they don't sort anything out we might just have to leave, i mean we've only been with them for 6 DAYS and there's already been problems. We rang them up once about speeds and they didn't even know it had been done!

---------- Post added at 13:30 ---------- Previous post was at 13:29 ----------

All day everyday it can be around 60-80ms.

But to be fair, my older connection of 1mb 2gb bandwidth had no problems like this. It was perfect all the time (except if i downloaded a lot then i would have had to wait to the end of the month)