PDA

View Full Version : VM Newbie and some questions

Virgin-Rez
29-10-2007, 19:17
Hello all! :wavey:

I'm just in the process of switching to Virgin Media from BT's ADSL service as I can only get a poxy 512k connection. Previously I was with NTL at my old house but due to sheer ineptitude by CS staff in handling my house move we swapped away from them shortly after the move.

It's been a couple of years and so I thought I'd jump in here and ask a few techie questions prior to the install... hopefully make it as smooth as possible.

The package we've gone for is broadband and phone Size M, so up to 2Mb I believe. The pre-install team visited two days ago and after much poking around in the front lawn found the hole in the ground where the cable resides and then ran a thicker cable from the street box to the house... due to being over 150m away or something... did I remember this right?

So... to the questions:-

Pre-amble:- I currently have my own ADSL modem and wireless router positioned down by the BT Master socket. The four PCs and one PDA in the house all talk wirelessly. The ADSL modem I'm sure is now incompatible and I'm expecting the nice VM installer guy to provide a Cable modem of some description.

1. Is this a USB only device or does it have ethernet for talking to the router?

2. Do the phone and Broadband services need to be sited next to each other? I'm thinking of having the phone input down near the existing phone point and having the broadband routed upstairs to my office and having the wireless router by me rather than down in the lounge. In fact, will the nice VM installer put it where I need it rather than just put it in the lounge?

3. Is there anyway to check to see what connection speeds I'm likely to get? I ask this as the only reason I'm switching is to quadruple my connection speed and if I get a paltry 700k or something like that then I'm going to be a touch peeved as you might imagine!

For reference I am in the Oakwood area of Derby.

Thanks in advance for your assistance!

Rez

bigdavep
29-10-2007, 19:26
1: Ethernet
2: My phone is downstairs and my modem is upstairs at the back of the house.
3: Various methods of checking. The speed tester on here has always seemed ok to me.

Virgin-Rez
29-10-2007, 19:29
Wow! Speedy response thanks BigDaveP!

Do you have a link to the speed tester?

Thanks!

Rez

bigdavep
29-10-2007, 19:30
it's at the top of this page.

Dai
29-10-2007, 22:02
No problem for me either. The phone is at the back of the house and the cable modem at the front.
I'd recommend tea and some nice biscuits for the installer guy. These small touches seem to make the job go smoother..

Virgin-Rez
30-10-2007, 08:55
Thanks for all your responses folks!

I shall have the tea and biscuits ready... was probably going to anyway but a good tip nonetheless.

Tried running the speed test last night and the results weren't too promising... but then is it a real result anyway since I don't have the cable installed yet? :confused: Who knows... the install is on the 1st Nov so I'll find out soon enough!

Cheers!

Rez