PDA

View Full Version : New game from Virgin...

shungho
29-10-2007, 18:40
Hi, i'd appreciate it if you could help me with this.

I'm currently playing a game with Virgin CS and TS. What happens is, you phone one up, and they tell you to phone the other, and it repeats. Occasionally they redirect you to an automated Faults line or NTL:Telewest Business Support (when it's closed, anyway). You may be familiar with it.

Anyway, we upgraded to VIP 2 months ago, which means we should get 20mb BB (Size XL). Our bill says we're on XL. Customer service, on the approximately 15 occasions i've called them, insist im on 20mb, even going so far as to say theyre 100% sure. Tech Support meanwhile insist that I'm on Size L (I think), 4mb. They are actually "110% sure". Speed tests and downloading stuff from tne VM Website gives me about 3-3.5mbit, hinting that their's either a fault, or i'm on the wrong package.

Eventually, tech support said that our Billing Account said we were on 20mb, but our Broadband Account said we were on 4mb. I phoned CS, and they told me again i was on 20mb, however I kept on and eventually they told me that TS were correct, but also that they would upgrade me to 20mb, taking a minimum of an hour.

Get home today at 5 o clock, reboot modem - still only 3mb through a wired connection. So I phoned CS/TS Several times each, but both still insist i'm on 20mb/4mb respectively.

What I'd like to know is:

Is that actually how it works - a Billing account and another, technical account for BB?

Who's responsibility is it for refunding me for the 2 months at the wrong speed - both departments blame the other?

Thanks for any help, and sorry it's a bit longwinded. I've never had too much of a problem with ntl/virgin's phone supposrt before but christ, now I know why everyone complains...

SimpleSimon
29-10-2007, 19:17
Have you checked our modem config to find out what speed it thinks its at?

shungho
29-10-2007, 19:33
I tried but I'm not sure how to do it- I've looked at the ip address but can't find anything about a config file.

---------- Post added at 19:33 ---------- Previous post was at 19:25 ----------

Ah, there's no hint to a config file in the event log (did a quick search and found that's where it should be). My log is:

Mon Oct 29 19:22:56 2007 Mon Oct 29 19:22:56 2007 1 Warning(5) 68010300 DHCP RENEW WARNING - Field invalid in response
Time Not Established Time Not Established 1 Critical(3) 68000300 DHCP WARNING - Non-critical field invalid in response.
Time Not Established Time Not Established 1 Critical(3) 82000200 No Ranging Response received - T3 time-out

US.M@JORHAZZARD
29-10-2007, 19:39
Modem config IP= 192.168.100.1 password and username should be root/root, once into your modem check the Operation Config for 20Mb BB it should look something like this

Maximum Downstream Data Rate : 20480000
maximum upstream data Rate : 768000

shungho
29-10-2007, 19:44
Ah ha, mine still reads 4mbit. I misread it as 40mb, thinking it just showed the maximum down speed (I know this modem has a max d/l of 40mb).

Thanks a lot, i'll give CS and TS a call.

bmxbandit
29-10-2007, 19:47
ha, that's not a new game... as many here will testify ;)

shungho
29-10-2007, 21:13
:mad:

Okay, my modem says its on 4mb
My bill says we're on 20mb
TS Say we're on 4mb
CS say we're on 20mb for both our billing account and our BB account.

Is there any way I can force the modem to re-download the config file, to see if its just not properly updated? Apart from unplugging and plugging it back in?

Cheers, Matt

Jonathan90
29-10-2007, 21:22
had this problem before the only i fixed it was by asking to downgrade me to 2mb and then i used online upgrade back to my 4mb tthey said i was on 20mbit but my modem clearly said 4mbit so downgraded to 2mb and then upped it to 4mb problem solved

shungho
29-10-2007, 21:25
We have a 1 year contract for VIP, I doubt that'd be allowed without a fee would it?

Marge
29-10-2007, 21:40
You probably do have a seperate billing and provisioning account for your broadband. The difficulty is, as you've experienced, is that it is perfectly possible to be billed for one speed and your modem provisioned for another.

I would ring customer services back and ask them to look at your modem account and confirm exactly which speed the modem is showing as. It's their responsibility to refund the difference between speed charged and speed received.

Good luck with getting it sorted :)

shungho
29-10-2007, 22:01
They just gave me the Swansea Security Desk number as a complaints line...this was apparently from a manager :sleep:

The guy said "don't worry they do it quite often"

Give me strength

---------- Post added at 22:01 ---------- Previous post was at 21:59 ----------

........and the number the guy gave me was for an out of hours emergency service :mad:

homealone
29-10-2007, 23:33
You probably do have a seperate billing and provisioning account for your broadband. The difficulty is, as you've experienced, is that it is perfectly possible to be billed for one speed and your modem provisioned for another.

I would ring customer services back and ask them to look at your modem account and confirm exactly which speed the modem is showing as. It's their responsibility to refund the difference between speed charged and speed received.

Good luck with getting it sorted :)

It was a tragedy when people with your knowledge & experience were made redundant, 'Marge', debacles like this thread show why ;)

Tezcatlipoca
30-10-2007, 00:26
This brings back memories (http://www.cableforum.co.uk/board/12/35274-connection-died-then-came-back-but.html)... :rolleyes:

Back when a similar thing happened to me two years ago, I eventually got it sorted by someone in Tech Support (after some telephone ping-pong between TS & CS).

shungho
30-10-2007, 16:44
Sorted!

How? I did it myself on the Virgin site. Yes, what probably 2 hours total on the phone couldn't achieve, I did within 5 minutes of deciding to follow someone on here's advice.

Thanks for all your help, and thanks for not charging me 25p a minute with 10p for connection...