PDA

View Full Version : Modem problem

m15hun
28-10-2007, 21:22
Hi all,

I have an odd problem which has been ongoing:

My modem is hanging rather a lot. All the lights are functioning as usual yet after a short while all of them (including the send/receive) come on solid and the modem and my connection freezes. It appears to happen quicker(more predictably) when I use the connection.

As I'm sure you can imagine it's quite frustraing. I've been through to India a few time and they've tried to help, god bless 'em, but nothing's been done. Now I'm left to wait 4 days for an engineer visit and all this for the princely sum of £100 a month! Bargain.

Could anyone suggest anything?

(No firewall,No security software running, no sharing software, nothing untoward on the system, motorola surfboard modem, Virgin service in SS2 area, Essex)

m15hun
29-10-2007, 13:19
No one have any ideas? I really am at my wits end. :(

r00t
29-10-2007, 13:43
Post some modem stats, people will be more likely to offer help if they have some info to go on.

Ernie_C
29-10-2007, 13:52
(No firewall,No security software running, no sharing software, nothing untoward on the system, motorola surfboard modem, Virgin service in SS2 area, Essex)
Maybe the clue is in your own post?

Acathla
29-10-2007, 16:50
You need to demand a new modem.

r00t
29-10-2007, 17:02
You need to demand a new modem.

Can I ask how you came about that as a resolve?

Acathla
29-10-2007, 18:00
Can I ask how you came about that as a resolve?

Modem freezing. Same thing happened to me. New modem resolved it.

vmtec
29-10-2007, 18:15
Hi all,

I have an odd problem which has been ongoing:

My modem is hanging rather a lot. All the lights are functioning as usual yet after a short while all of them (including the send/receive) come on solid and the modem and my connection freezes. It appears to happen quicker(more predictably) when I use the connection.

As I'm sure you can imagine it's quite frustraing. I've been through to India a few time and they've tried to help, god bless 'em, but nothing's been done. Now I'm left to wait 4 days for an engineer visit and all this for the princely sum of £100 a month! Bargain.

Could anyone suggest anything?

are you using ethernet cable? ifso un plug everything in cluding the cable ethernet (if using one) and power cable for about 5 mins
will give chance to clear
once done screw cable back on then plug power cable back in and wait!!!!!!!!!
till you have the main three lights on your modem
when have all settlled then plug ethernet cable back in . that should solve if not a new one will be req!!!

m15hun
30-10-2007, 11:02
First of all, thanks for your replies.

The reason I am running no specific security software at the present time is to eliminate software as a cause, nothing more.

I would post some stats but I'm unsure as to which stats you require?

I have tried unplugging the kit and leaving it a while, it temporarily resolved it then the problem reoccurred.

I was told I needed a new modem when the higher speed rolled out a while back, but things have been okay; I assumed (wrongly it would seem) that seeing as VM hadn't contacted me regarding it and I was having no immediate issue, that I should leave it as it was.

m15hun
31-10-2007, 17:39
New modem installed now, 3 hours and no outages so far.