PDA

View Full Version : Very high ping

Guten
28-10-2007, 19:45
I am an online gamer.

During the day my ping gets very high. 150-300 range.

Why is this happening?

In the morning and very late evening i get about 30-50.

I use to get 20-30 all day few weeks ago.

What is going on. I am the only one using the internet. My router is fully secure. Virus and spyware free.

Is anyone else having the same problem and what shall I do to fix this?

Toilet-Duck
28-10-2007, 19:51
I have the same problem Ive been told that my UBR is overloaded and until its rebalanced I cant do anything :mad::(

AmAtoL
28-10-2007, 21:16
Yawn..
tonight I will take screenies of my ping spikes if poss, missed last nights high of 435...
Sooner or later this board will be full of high ping and packet loss threads.
The thing is I don't really give a monkeys about the theoretical top speed of my connection, I would settle for a loss free connection at any speed ...

n0c0ntr0l
29-10-2007, 17:40
You are not alone. I've got the same problem, in the mornings (if i reset the router) i have pings of under 20ms to teh first hop. From 4pm onwards my pings usually skyrocket to around 200ms to 300ms to the exchange. And it never connects to the nearest exchange, always to one that happens to be a good 100miles away.

Guten
29-10-2007, 17:46
Ping went up again as usual to about 150, will soon go to 200, 300 aswell.

Anyone know whats going on?

How do I find out if my UBR is overloaded? could the problem be this?

Jack2k7
30-10-2007, 17:25
I have the same problem in pretty much everything.

I constantly run pings to jolt.co.uk and bbc.co.uk. I usually get around 9-12ms during the very middle of the night (but I'm not paying for a 20mb service just to use it during the night), and about 60-90ms ping to them during the day (bare in mind this is a 32byte ping, something that should be pinging back to me in under 25ms).

Everytime the ping goes up, it's reflected in the games, or any online application I use (even browsing the web). I myself live in Bristol which has historically always been over subscribed, but thank my lucky stars we're with VM - we can get a quick™ solution to this problem.

I've phoned VM, several times, spoke to some nice person in India a couple of times and managed to get someone on Second Line (someone who knows what they're doing most of the time) to call me. They say most reports of this nature are because of UBR's on about 90% utilisation, and they won't be doing anything in the near future to solve this.

Do what I did and call Ofcom.

Guten
30-10-2007, 18:15
I have the same problem in pretty much everything.

I constantly run pings to jolt.co.uk and bbc.co.uk. I usually get around 9-12ms during the very middle of the night (but I'm not paying for a 20mb service just to use it during the night), and about 60-90ms ping to them during the day (bare in mind this is a 32byte ping, something that should be pinging back to me in under 25ms).

Everytime the ping goes up, it's reflected in the games, or any online application I use (even browsing the web). I myself live in Bristol which has historically always been over subscribed, but thank my lucky stars we're with VM - we can get a quickâ„¢ solution to this problem.

I've phoned VM, several times, spoke to some nice person in India a couple of times and managed to get someone on Second Line (someone who knows what they're doing most of the time) to call me. They say most reports of this nature are because of UBR's on about 90% utilisation, and they won't be doing anything in the near future to solve this.

Do what I did and call Ofcom.

So could someone explain this UBR in more detail?

Toto
30-10-2007, 18:33
A UBR is your local connection to the VM network.

Its shared by other users in your area, and has a maximum upload/download limit. The less users on the UBR, the better your latency, or pings at peak times.

The more on the same UBR is the opposite, increased ping times during peak hours.

Resegmentation is a manual fix performed by VM's network bods to balance the load on the same UBR, moving users between cards, or moving them to another UBR that isn't as heavily loaded.

That is it in a nutshell.

Simcut
30-10-2007, 21:05
What did Ofcom do then?

croma
30-10-2007, 21:18
we should all complain to Ofcom ,seriuously not just talking , lets collect info,signatures , lets do it !:mad: