PDA

View Full Version : Swapping Modem Between Machines

brownlad007
28-10-2007, 14:02
Ive had this problem for a while now where if the modem is connected to the laptop is will work fine but if i plug it into my computer it will not.

Now, a tech guy came round and had no luck with it but then called round another guy who showed me how to do it. He said take out the coax, restart the modem and wait for a 192 ip, then plug in the coax, it will go to a 169 ip and then shortly a normal working IP address. He done it twice and it worked perfectly. Later on i gave it a go and had no luck. Been trying for a couple hours now without anything.

Any ideas people? cheers

ECW_Original
28-10-2007, 14:06
before you change connections, switch off your modem and wait a few mins, then connect the ethernet cable to the other machine and switch modem on, it will then lock on and get a new IP address.

brownlad007
28-10-2007, 15:07
with the coax out ? if not, ive already tried that way a few times mate

MovedGoalPosts
28-10-2007, 15:19
It shouldn't be necessary to remove the coax from the modem. The sequence is simply power off modem and computer(s). Swap over the ethernet connection (only one thing can be directly connected to the modem at a time either ethernet or USB), power modem, let settle, power computer.

If there is no connection between computer and modem at that point something is wrong with the settings of the modem, computer, or perhaps the ethernet lead being used. I'd be looking closely at the computer's network card settings and firewall.

Wod
28-10-2007, 17:42
Save yourself andd get a cheap router.

Alien
29-10-2007, 16:21
Another thing I've found that worked in the past is to open a command prompt window [in XP, don't know if it'll work in Vista] & enter the command:
ipconfig /releaseall
Then shut down the system & power off the modem. Connect the new PC to the modem, but leave the PC off. Power up modem, wait for lights to settle/lock-on/whatever, then boot up the PC. When PC is booted, check to see if it has a proper IP addy, if not, open the command prompt window & type:
ipconfig /renewall
which should sort it out.

brownlad007
29-10-2007, 16:37
Thanks guys, ill give them all a go tonight and let you know how i get on.

thanks again

TekFella
30-10-2007, 03:44
if u want to "hotswap" the modem between many computers than each time u connect it to a different computer u MUST power cycle the modem. To do this unplug the power cable from the modem, connect the modem to the other pc, then power up the modem again. if after a few mins u cant get on-line ensure that all ur network settings are set to "Automatically obtain address" you can find this within the network section of the control panel, assuming u are using windows xp of course.

hope this helps, good luck, live long and always use a condom