PDA

View Full Version : Do I have to use the cd to get my cable broadband working ?

SilvaLiz
27-10-2007, 14:16
I want to format and reinstall windows, I'd prefer not to use the virgin cd to get cable broadband working since last time it installed tons of "nastys", for me anything that connects to the net in the background without my permission is a nasty. I particularly hated broad jump client foundation, so would prefer to set up things manually as I used to do with dsl.

Does anyone have a link to a page with the correct settings to manually set up my cable internet ? I know there's one on these forums for ntl cable, but since I'm with virgin is that the right one to use ?

Found a couple on the virgin site but not sure if they are for dsl or cable ? So any help vastly appreciated, and sorry if it's a dumb question. :dunce:

zing_deleted
27-10-2007, 14:17
if you use ethernet it will just work if you use usb just put the cd in dont install anything just allow the modem to search for drivers it will find one on the cd and just work

SilvaLiz
27-10-2007, 16:10
Thanks, I use ethernet, wow thats good that it just works.

vmtec
27-10-2007, 19:47
I want to format and reinstall windows, I'd prefer not to use the virgin cd to get cable broadband working since last time it installed tons of "nastys", for me anything that connects to the net in the background without my permission is a nasty. I particularly hated broad jump client foundation, so would prefer to set up things manually as I used to do with dsl.

Does anyone have a link to a page with the correct settings to manually set up my cable internet ? I know there's one on these forums for ntl cable, but since I'm with virgin is that the right one to use ?

Found a couple on the virgin site but not sure if they are for dsl or cable ? So any help vastly appreciated, and sorry if it's a dumb question. :dunce:

if you just type 80.5.178.26 you dont have to use the cd!!!!!!!!

bayonet
27-10-2007, 20:35
Use any one of these serial numbers in lower case either ntl-ct8-cb485 or ntl-ct8-cj486 for registering as well

Mick Fisher
27-10-2007, 20:48

http://www.cableforum.co.uk/board/94/33602415-how-set-up-your-ntl-broadband.html

zing_deleted
27-10-2007, 21:01
why are people posting how to register when the OP is clearly just formatting windows and not registering a new modem

pointed out a few clues there for those who missed them