PDA

View Full Version : Help please! NTL plug adapter?

XD3vx
27-10-2007, 06:42
Hi Guys, Is there Anyway i can get a NTL Plug Adapter, Theres 4 pc's in my house and all of them are on wireless, We have an NTL Modem Plus a Netgear Router. you all may no there is only One Hole at the back of the Ntl Modem where the cable goes. But I would like an Adapter So I Can have a cable from the Ntl Modem Straight into my PC, so i am not on wireless Right now there is a cable from the netgear router going into the back of my pc, but i dont want it like that i would like it So there is a cable from the Ntl Modem going into the back of my pc, But if i Do that How would the Wireless work for the rest of the pc's? is there someway That i can get 2 Holes in the back of my Ntl Modem so 1 Cable going into the netgear router and 1 Cable Coming from my Ntl modem to my pc.

I Hope you understand What i meen.

Thanks! :erm:

Paul K
27-10-2007, 07:51
Can't be done, only one thing can plug directly into the modem.

diddy1
27-10-2007, 10:27
As Paul has Already said It cannot be done, If i have read your post correctly
your PC is already wired and not wireless,as you have got an ethernet cable coming from your router to your pc, and the other three are wireless.

tweetypie/8
28-10-2007, 01:02
Hi Guys, Is there Anyway i can get a NTL Plug Adapter, Theres 4 pc's in my house and all of them are on wireless, We have an NTL Modem Plus a Netgear Router. you all may no there is only One Hole at the back of the Ntl Modem where the cable goes. But I would like an Adapter So I Can have a cable from the Ntl Modem Straight into my PC, so i am not on wireless Right now there is a cable from the netgear router going into the back of my pc, but i dont want it like that i would like it So there is a cable from the Ntl Modem going into the back of my pc, But if i Do that How would the Wireless work for the rest of the pc's? is there someway That i can get 2 Holes in the back of my Ntl Modem so 1 Cable going into the netgear router and 1 Cable Coming from my Ntl modem to my pc.

I Hope you understand What i meen.

pauls no dozer gives good advice welcome to the forum :welcome:

XD3vx
28-10-2007, 01:29
Ok Thanks guys!, Is There anyway that i can have my own modem, like i just want me own modem cable going from the modem into my pc, And my dad and other Family Can use the other modem to the netgear router. So im on Cable using my own modem and there on wireless using there modem and router. would tis work? I Really dont Want to be on wireless using the netgear router. i would just like the modem my self. But then my family would Be Mardy About there wireless Not working.

MovedGoalPosts
28-10-2007, 01:34
It's rare to have two legitimate modems in one house. It used to be possible to add a second modem to the account, for an additional fee, but apparently the current Virgin Media Call Centre billing software won't allow new dual modem accounts.

Most wireless routers, have wired ports too. You can connect your computer wired to one of those LAN ports, leaving the rest of the household wireless.

XD3vx
28-10-2007, 06:48
Most wireless routers, have wired ports too. You can connect your computer wired to one of those LAN ports, leaving the rest of the household wireless.

Hi Rob, I Have no Clue how to Do that. Maybee my Router does have Wierd Ports. But i dont know how to connect my computer to the wired LAN ports Could You Put me in the Right Direction or tell me how to Do that. That would be Great. Do i do This on the Netgear Setting's? (http://192.168.0.1)

iglu
28-10-2007, 07:07
You will need an Ethernet cable (http://www.amazon.co.uk/15m-Ethernet-RJ45-Network-Cable/dp/B000IT5PNA). What is the model number of the router?

diddy1
28-10-2007, 13:10
Hi Rob, I Have no Clue how to Do that. Maybee my Router does have Wierd Ports. But i dont know how to connect my computer to the wired LAN ports Could You Put me in the Right Direction or tell me how to Do that. That would be Great. Do i do This on the Netgear Setting's? (http://192.168.0.1)

If i understand correctly from your opening post, you have the NTL modem and a cable connecting it to the Netgear router, from the router you have a cable going to the back of your computer, so as i understand you are already wired on the main comp and the other three are wireless.

To connect to the Lan ports on the router you need as has already been stated an Ethernet cable, you can find them cheaply enough on the net or local stores,its just a matter of powering everything down, plugging the cable in and powering everything back up again.

Hope this helps

XD3vx
28-10-2007, 13:34
sorry i do not no what the model number is all i no it is a netgear WGT624, and i have plenty ethernet cables.

:erm:

diddy1
28-10-2007, 16:41
sorry i do not no what the model number is all i no it is a netgear WGT624, and i have plenty ethernet cables.

:erm:

On the back of your router you will see the connections for the Ethernet cable/s these are there for the option of having a wired connection to your computers or wireless, you have already stated that you are using one of the connections for your computer.

which means you are connected through the router with a wired connection not wireless the other 3 are connected using the wireless. which i think is what you wanted to achieve.

JohnM
31-10-2007, 18:41
Actually it sounds to me like he wanted uncontended bandwidth (as far as the rest of his family goes!)

bluecandylover
04-11-2007, 15:28
Did'nt Telewest used to offer an adapter for an extra £5/month a few years ago?

Kind Regards.
Blue.

Stuart
04-11-2007, 16:39
Did'nt Telewest used to offer an adapter for an extra £5/month a few years ago?

Kind Regards.
Blue.

Actually, they offered a two port hub and a second IP. You didn't get any extra bandwidth, so it was just like using a router, apart from the fact it was limited to two devices.

And, no, they don't offer it now.

jonifen
04-11-2007, 21:48
Try plugging your PC into the ethernet port and setting your computer's IP in the DMZ zone on the router. That will give your computer the same conditions as if it were connected directly to the modem.
Do note though that the SPI firewall in Netgear routers will not apply to your connection and you won't be able to access the wireless machines while in DMZ (if I remember correctly).

xxxd3xxx
13-11-2007, 00:47
Hello, Thanks for replys. Why carnt i just get the wireless ip to be the same as the NTL IP.
is there someway to clone it, or spoof it? i have the

VIA Rhine II Compatible Fast Ethernet Adapter
&
Marvell Libertas 802.11b/g Wireless LAN Client Adapter

is there anyway getting the Ip of The ethernet Adapter Same as the Wireless LAN Client Adapter

Becouse the Wireless LAN Client Adapter IP is diffrent to the ethernet Adapter. IP

i would like the Wireless LAN Client Adapter IP to be the same IP As. the ethernet Adapter. IP

https://www.cableforum.co.uk/images/local/2007/11/18.jpg

Any Look with this.?

Best Regards :)
xd3x

jonifen
13-11-2007, 07:52
Windows isn't happy with 2 connections on a machine having the same IP. You can force it to happen, but they won't work simultaneously on the network. It's a case of either/or.

Even if you put your machine into the DMZ, it doesn't take the IP provided by NTL, instead holds the one from the router, but has full 100% access to the Internet as DMZ bypasses the firewall and therefore all ports are forwarded to and are available to the machine.