PDA

View Full Version : Trouble connecting to NTL / Virgin STB

Spinney
26-10-2007, 12:29
Last night, to see if my wireless router was slowing things up on the download front I connected my Ethernet cable from my WinXP laptop directly to the back of my Samsung NTL set top box. I switched everything back on and when firing up internet explorer was taken directly to the original NTL startup screen, as if I was a new customer. I registered the laptop I was using, although it had been previously registered, and re-started everything as per instructions. The result was no internet, just back to the NTL startup screen. I reconnected the wireless router, and put the hardware back to what it was originally and now I still cant connect to the internet, I just get the NTL startup screen.

Ive read on Cablehell forums that you don’t need install discs from Virgin, and as it was all working fine when it switched from NTL to Virgin I cant understand whats gone on. The virgin web site says that when registering a new computer its virtually just a case of plug it in and off you go, but I think that’s with people who joined when it was Virgin. Customer support have fobbed me off to an 0906 number which costs 25p / min. Ive also read their technical support rubbish. Ive tried getting through to them on the off chance a few times but no reply.

I would be very grateful if anyone could offer any help.

lsproc
26-10-2007, 12:59
Sounds like a new config file isnt being written to the STB.

I would get a callout for a SACM (Stand Alone Cable Modem) though, I would be amazed if Virgin still support STBs now.

After running Auto-Registration, turn off and unplug the STB for 5 mins (go, read a paper!), then plug it in again. If that doesnt help, call up TS or CS, you should get the call refunded.

Spinney
26-10-2007, 13:05
Thanks for the reply.

How do I run auto-registration. Thats what I cant find out. I dont have any Virgin Media discs (Im a long standing NTL customer, who managed to sort out previous issues by reading forums like this).

I didnt know they wont support STBs any more. Are they swapping everyone to ADSL ?

lsproc
26-10-2007, 13:12
Quite the opposite, they want more on Cable. I am not completly sure on broadband via STB, but I believe all new customers use it (new V box lacks modem?), and you cant get high speeds of it. So take it with a pinch of salt :)

Auto-registration is the page you get where you enter the details. Please do the following:

Point your browser to https://autoreg.autoregister.net

When it asks for a serial, give it: ntl-ct8-cb487
(http://www.cableforum.co.uk/board/94/33602415-how-set-up-your-ntl-broadband.html)

Also give it stuff like your PIN number and account details.

When done, shut down your computer, and remove power from the STB for a minuite, then reconnect and enjoy :)

If it still doesnt work, give us a shout.

Spinney
26-10-2007, 13:15
Thats the info Ive been looking for !!!

I will try that when I get home. Thanks for the swift response.:tu:

MovedGoalPosts
26-10-2007, 13:35
Just to clarify, new broadband installs will not be using the Set Top Boxes - primarily because some can only do 1 meg, and the best 4 meg. However customers who currently receive their broadband by Set Top Box will continue to receive support from Virgin Media via the normal routes.

Spinney
26-10-2007, 22:44
Thanks to all for the responses. Have sorted it out and all back on line. Ive got another problem with WiFi which isnt linked, but thats for another forum !
Thanks again for such prompt responses, ISPROC

lsproc
27-10-2007, 08:03
Its ok, have fun!

(note; if your going to find me in future, try with an L :))