PDA

View Full Version : Kebabs???

budwieser
25-10-2007, 20:22
:dunce:Does anyone know how fattening Doner Kebabs are or what the fat content is?
We`ve had quite a few lately as we could`nt be bothered to cook for whatever reason and we wondered if they were fattening or not.?:rolleyes::D
Thanks in Advance.

TheNorm
25-10-2007, 20:29
16.2%, according to table 3 of http://www.seafish.org/pdf.pl?file=seafish/Documents/SR584_FatContent.pdf

That's not too bad for a takeaway, but a lower fat meal every once in a while would be a good idea!

budwieser
25-10-2007, 20:41
16.2%, according to table 3 of http://www.seafish.org/pdf.pl?file=seafish/Documents/SR584_FatContent.pdf

That's not too bad for a takeaway, but a lower fat meal every once in a while would be a good idea!
Err,:erm: The table you just quoted mate was for fish and chips.
I`m talking about the lamb spit and salad in a pitta bread with chilli sauce.:)
Thanks for the reply anyway.;)

gaffer_gump
25-10-2007, 20:46
It's in table 3 Bud...

BBKing
25-10-2007, 21:22
I seem to remember when the missus was on WeightWatchers that grilled chicken kebab with a bit of salad was actually pretty healthy.

Maggy
25-10-2007, 22:36
I seem to remember when the missus was on WeightWatchers that grilled chicken kebab with a bit of salad was actually pretty healthy.

Comparing grilled chicken kebabs with donar kebabs is like comparing the Sistine Chapel ceiling with graffiti.:erm:

homealone
25-10-2007, 23:35
theoretically, the fat content of a doner shouldn't be too far away from 'ordinary' minced lamb - however I am, personally, very wary of what is in the actual vertical meatball they cut doner meat from, and only ever have shish kebab - with chilli sauce & loads of lettuce & onion :)

iglu
26-10-2007, 06:58
Test it yourself, put two-three pieces on a tissue in the microware for 1-2 minutes. Where is the meat gone?

Graham M
26-10-2007, 09:26
theoretically, the fat content of a doner shouldn't be too far away from 'ordinary' minced lamb - however I am, personally, very wary of what is in the actual vertical meatball they cut doner meat from, and only ever have shish kebab - with chilli sauce & loads of lettuce & onion :)

My local does a lovely Chicken Kebab, that's nice after a night out :)

Mr_love_monkey
26-10-2007, 09:30
You just can't beat a lamb doner, with or without the benefit of 10 pints.
..and anything you can buy from a food shop that is open after the pub has closed, is not supposed to be good for you

Graham M
26-10-2007, 09:31
Depends if there's a 24h Tesco nearby! :D

TheNorm
26-10-2007, 09:35
Comparing grilled chicken kebabs with donar kebabs is like comparing the Sistine Chapel ceiling with graffiti.:erm:

Ummm... the Pope adores one? A source of income for the Vatican? Created by an Italian?

Mr_love_monkey
26-10-2007, 09:37
Depends if there's a 24h Tesco nearby! :D

They sell more than food though :) - so they're not just a 'food shop' - don't you start getting pedantic with me :p: :)

---------- Post added at 09:37 ---------- Previous post was at 09:36 ----------

Created by an Italian?

Originally called the 'Donatello-kebab'?

TheNorm
26-10-2007, 09:39
...Originally called the 'Donatello-kebab'?

Now that's what I call a pitta-full joke.

Mr_love_monkey
26-10-2007, 09:42
Now that's what I call a pitta-full joke.

shish! don't get all worked up over it

Saaf_laandon_mo
26-10-2007, 11:19
You just can't beat a lamb doner, with or without the benefit of 10 pints.
..and anything you can buy from a food shop that is open after the pub has closed, is not supposed to be good for you

Talking of doners and pints, ive never understood it when people say they can only have a donner after a few pints, never sober.

Ive never drunk and doners rate up there as one of my all time fave fast food. you just cant beat them(especially with chilli and garlic sauce.) although i do find it depends where you buy them from.

I also love shwarmas (especially from edgware road, mmmmmm)

superbiatch
26-10-2007, 11:29
Talking of doners and pints, ive never understood it when people say they can only have a donner after a few pints, never sober.

I'm one of these people :rolleyes:

I walk past these takeaways during daylight hours, completely sober and think i'd never eat anything from there :( (but then friday night comes and its all out the window :D)

Saaf_laandon_mo
26-10-2007, 12:12
I'm one of these people :rolleyes:

I walk past these takeaways during daylight hours, completely sober and think i'd never eat anything from there :( (but then friday night comes and its all out the window :D)

I've even re fried donner leftovers (the meat) in a frying pan in butter, some more onions and topped with an egg and had that for breakfast the next day!

My fave donner shops are McTurks in Derby - they actually provide donner meat (i call that the elephant leg) to a few donner restaurants in the midlands, The Kebab Shop in Thornton Heath South London, and Star Kebab in Earls Court London. My mouth is bloomingg watering now!

LSainsbury
26-10-2007, 12:24
t...however I am, personally, very wary of what is in the actual vertical meatball they cut doner meat from...

Everything....trotters, eyes, testicals, perhaps the odd bit of rat and couple of flies...

Mr_love_monkey
26-10-2007, 12:29
Everything....trotters, eyes, testicals, perhaps the odd bit of rat and couple of flies...

You probably get that with most things you eat unless you're eating 'whole' meat - just think of it as extra meaty goodness!

Chris
26-10-2007, 12:43
(but then friday night comes and its all out the window :D)

It's better out the window than on the floor of the taxi. That would upset the driver. ;) :D

mrmistoffelees
27-10-2007, 18:37
Donner kebab is lovely

Donner Kebab pizza with chilli sauce base and over the top is the food of the gods !!!!!

Nidge
28-10-2007, 22:02
Donor kebabs is quality meat, I posted a video a few weeks ago about the making of donor kebabs the meat that went into them was of top quality and low in fat.

Stuart
28-10-2007, 22:05
You've never been to my local kebab shop then. It's rumoured to the reason Penge doesn't have a problem with foxes.

Graham M
28-10-2007, 22:07
It's better out the window than on the floor of the taxi. That would upset the driver. ;) :D

Haha speaking of which, I'm currently in the process of applying for my Hackney license, not looking forward to that so much - luckily you can charge em a valeting fee of £50

RizzyKing
28-10-2007, 22:14
As i understand it if it is called a "donor" kebab then it has to be 100% lamb and only selected cuts. If it is just called a kebab then it can be meat from multiple animals such as lamb beef or pork. I think if you just have the meat and salad it is quite healthy relatively speaking it is the sauce that is a killer and gets me everytime:D.

danielf
28-10-2007, 22:36
I love a good Doner (in general, not just post-pub), but sadly the quality varies wildly. The best I had was from a place in Beeston, Nottingham (Station Road, across the street from that Italian place). One of those places that looks like you don't want to eat from there, but God, they did some quality food :drool:

superbiatch
28-10-2007, 22:43

Not me, strictly the morning after usually :rolleyes: :p:

Tezcatlipoca
28-10-2007, 22:45
I don't like kebab shop kebabs.

What exactly is that huge leg shaped meat thing supposed to be?

When I do make a drunken trip to the kebab shop, I alway go for a burger... topped with cheese, bacon, & maybe some rather sorry looking salad.

You've never been to my local kebab shop then. It's rumoured to the reason Penge doesn't have a problem with foxes.

Penge? I hear it's very nice, but I've never been there myself...

v0id
28-10-2007, 22:58
When I do make a drunked trip to the kebab shop, I alway go for a burger... topped with cheese, bacon, & maybe some rather sorry looking salad.

I always seem to end up in the curry house on my drunken trips

Maggy
28-10-2007, 23:30
A real kebab(and all real food) should never be made from chopped and reclaimed meat.Unfortunately Donar kebabs seem to be just that..shaped and reformed/reclaimed meat products...as bad as any turkey twizzle...:sick:

Nidge
29-10-2007, 05:26
Haha speaking of which, I'm currently in the process of applying for my Hackney license, not looking forward to that so much - luckily you can charge em a valeting fee of £50

Sooner you than me mate, I've had 16 years on the cabs and I've seen some sights mate I can tell you. One night one of our drivers went to a pick up from a wedding reception, he picked this woman and her husband up, just as he turned the corner to their road the woman who was sat behind him decided to empty her guts all over the drivers shoulder, he was covered in sick, the best thing about it was he was covered in half eaten prawns, muscles and some other seafood. He ended up getting nearly £100 off the couple his night was finished and it was only 11pm on a Saturday night.

---------- Post added at 05:26 ---------- Previous post was at 05:25 ----------

As i understand it if it is called a "donor" kebab then it has to be 100% lamb and only selected cuts. If it is just called a kebab then it can be meat from multiple animals such as lamb beef or pork. I think if you just have the meat and salad it is quite healthy relatively speaking it is the sauce that is a killer and gets me everytime:D.

The meat they were using in the video I posted somewhere was 100% pure lamb meat, it looked mighty nice too.

Graham M
29-10-2007, 07:42
Sooner you than me mate, I've had 16 years on the cabs and I've seen some sights mate I can tell you. One night one of our drivers went to a pick up from a wedding reception, he picked this woman and her husband up, just as he turned the corner to their road the woman who was sat behind him decided to empty her guts all over the drivers shoulder, he was covered in sick, the best thing about it was he was covered in half eaten prawns, muscles and some other seafood. He ended up getting nearly £100 off the couple his night was finished and it was only 11pm on a Saturday night.

Oh dear! Doesn't put me off though, I'm quite looking forward to it, I've been operating for the last 2 years and I'd like to be the other side of the table for once

Halcyon
29-10-2007, 18:19
A real kebab(and all real food) should never be made from chopped and reclaimed meat.Unfortunately Donar kebabs seem to be just that..shaped and reformed/reclaimed meat products...as bad as any turkey twizzle...:sick:

I agree 100%.
When I see processed meat towers going round and round I wonder what is in them.
It's like chicken nuggets made of reformed chicken. They use the fatty bits, add loads of junk and preservatives, it just looks awful.

A real one made of non-processed meat is very nice, real piece of meat, natural herbs sprinkled on top...lovely.

Mr_love_monkey
29-10-2007, 20:30
A real one made of non-processed meat is very nice, real piece of meat, natural herbs sprinkled on top...lovely.
Yeah, but you try finding one at midnight after 10 pints :)

papa smurf
29-10-2007, 21:05
I've even re fried donner leftovers (the meat) in a frying pan in butter, some more onions and topped with an egg and had that for breakfast the next day!

My fave donner shops are McTurks in Derby - they actually provide donner meat (i call that the elephant leg) to a few donner restaurants in the midlands, The Kebab Shop in Thornton Heath South London, and Star Kebab in Earls Court London. My mouth is bloomingg watering now!

re fried donner.....for breckers, wow you mate are my hero, wot a great idea, im gona give it a go :tu:

Saaf_laandon_mo
30-10-2007, 09:24
Yeah, but you try finding one at midnight after 10 pints :)

If you're in the west end head down to Edgware Road... not a donner as such but shwarmas are equally delicious.

Mr_love_monkey
30-10-2007, 09:28
If you're in the west end head down to Edgware Road... not a donner as such but shwarmas are equally delicious.

It's hard enough finding my way to the station, let alone another street in london :)

Stuart
30-10-2007, 10:42

The same could be said of burgers. While I do enjoy the odd McDonalds or Burger King, theres nothing quite like a burger where you know the cook or chef has minced the beef themselves, and are using all fresh salad.

Mr_love_monkey
30-10-2007, 10:54
The same could be said of burgers. While I do enjoy the odd McDonalds or Burger King, theres nothing quite like a burger where you know the cook or chef has minced the beef themselves, and are using all fresh salad.

Salad??? - what is this thing you call 'Salad'???

papa smurf
30-10-2007, 19:11

well you know when your burger falls off the barbie and lands on the green stuff, i think thats salad

Hugh
30-10-2007, 21:40

It's that stuff you leave on the side of your plate when you have finished your steak and chips - think garnish, only more of it ;)

Apparently it's very popular with the ladies, and you eat it, they will think you're are a sensitive "new man" (drinking lattes helps).

Shaun
30-10-2007, 22:15
It's the idea of it being warmed, then cooled, then warmed, then, well you get the idea.

That and the face the middle must still be raw and the juices running through the cooked meat??

Give me a nice home made (chicken and pepper) kebab on a wooden skewer done under grill in a pitta with lots of salad. :D

homealone
30-10-2007, 23:14
It's the idea of it being warmed, then cooled, then warmed, then, well you get the idea.

That and the face the middle must still be raw and the juices running through the cooked meat??

Give me a nice home made (chicken and pepper) kebab on a wooden skewer done under grill in a pitta with lots of salad. :D

exactly - the thing is that any meat cut from a muscle is , pretty much, bacteria free in the middle, only the surfaces are at risk - once you mince meat, however, that principle no longer applies....

Maggy
31-10-2007, 00:08
It's that stuff you leave on the side of your plate when you have finished your steak and chips - think garnish, only more of it ;)

Apparently it's very popular with the ladies, and you eat it, they will think you're are a sensitive "new man" (drinking lattes helps).

No salad is the stuff you get your vitamins,minerals and fibre from.If a man eats salad I'm assuming he's hungry and likes salad.

Mind it's not salad unless it has oil and vinegar or mayonnaise on it...;)

danielf
31-10-2007, 00:14
No salad is the stuff you get your vitamins,minerals and fibre from.

Erm, nope. We get those from drinking beer :D

If a man eats salad I'm assuming he's hungry and likes salad.

Either that, or he's a poof :)

Mr_love_monkey
31-10-2007, 08:35
If a man eats salad I'm assuming he's hungry and likes salad.

Or he eats it to avoid the constant earache he gets if he doesn't eat it.

Saaf_laandon_mo
31-10-2007, 09:45
I love salad with warmed thru cherry tomatos (halved and warmed on a griddle/frying pan), sliced red onions, and a bit of feta, with lots of mixed leaves. Dressed in olive oil, white wine and balsamic vinegar with sea salt and freshly ground pepper.

LSainsbury
31-10-2007, 10:11
I love salad with warmed thru cherry tomatos (halved and warmed on a griddle/frying pan), sliced red onions, and a bit of feta, with lots of mixed leaves. Dressed in olive oil, white wine and balsamic vinegar with sea salt and freshly ground pepper.

Nowt wrong with that!! :)

Maggy
31-10-2007, 14:34
Erm, nope. We get those from drinking beer :D

Oh yeah.Care to indicate how much fibre there is in beer?;)

Mr_love_monkey
31-10-2007, 14:39
Oh yeah.Care to indicate how much fibre there is in beer?;)

Too much of it certainly make me do number 2s - therefore must have fibre

Maggy
31-10-2007, 14:51
Too much of it certainly make me do number 2s - therefore must have fibre

More male logic...:rolleyes:

Actually a diet full of refined sugar has the same affect..

danielf
31-10-2007, 14:55
More male logic...:rolleyes:

Actually a diet full of refined sugar has the same affect..

Strange, sugar does not change my affect at all, whereas beer does :)