PDA

View Full Version : How are the gaming pings now?

cora1
25-10-2007, 12:19
Specifically to WoW if possible, I've been on Be ADSL for the last few weeks, the ping's are alot more stable. But anyway had a planned outage on my Be line yesterday, so I plugged the Virgin Cable back in, it's due to be cut off in a few days now, but anyway the ping's I got on it we're alot better than when I was last on it; 200ms in peak time, which I'm fine with aslong as it's stable and below 100ms offpeak. Was this just a one off? or have virgin fixed the problem's they we're having in peak times?

spr33
25-10-2007, 15:14
My latency has been fine for the past few months when I seem to think they upgraded the UBR's in my area. I ping <25ms all day and all night to UK servers.

I'm guessing it's down to location though, there's still hundreds of people on here that have different views and stories they can share regarding this.

Graham M
25-10-2007, 15:16
My pings have always been generally good (apart from when my PITA bro Bit-Torrents the hell out of it!) The sporadic pings to the WoW server farm (in France) are genuinely out of VM/NTL's hands anyway although mine seem to have settled down a lot of late!

Bonglet
25-10-2007, 15:38
pings are still the same okish inside the uk with the odd congestion hours spoiling it and outside the uk still a joke :( dont expect any fix i've give up hope of them fixing anything vm= 99% propaganda 1% action im afraid.

cora1
25-10-2007, 23:56
Is it possible my UBR has been upgraded or something? cause the last 2 days i've been using my VM cable it has been perfect. Is there some way to check if they've done some work in my area? I'm on UBR03

Derek
26-10-2007, 00:01
My WoW pings have dropped from 100+ to 30-40ms in the last few days.

Dawn Falcon
26-10-2007, 01:01
Specifically to WoW if possible, I've been on Be ADSL for the last few weeks, the ping's are alot more stable. But anyway had a planned outage on my Be line yesterday, so I plugged the Virgin Cable back in, it's due to be cut off in a few days now, but anyway the ping's I got on it we're alot better than when I was last on it; 200ms in peak time, which I'm fine with aslong as it's stable and below 100ms offpeak. Was this just a one off? or have virgin fixed the problem's they we're having in peak times?

It's region dependent. In Oxford, forget it.

Magilla
26-10-2007, 10:52
Specifically to WoW if possible.

Since the rebranding it's gone from around 32ms to 550ms.

I rarely get better than 500ms on Wow now.

AmAtoL
26-10-2007, 17:04
The pings to my 2142 favourites are generally aroung the 20 mark, but can vary wildly up to 200+, this doesn't last long but it is annoying and unplayable.

Raistlin
26-10-2007, 17:10
It's region dependent. In Oxford, forget it.

Interesting, my Brother is in Oxford and has never complained about any problems with WoW (other than the shocking state of his PC, but that's his problem :) ).

Nemeth
26-10-2007, 18:17
I did read somewhere on the WoW forums that there were bandwidth restrictions in place on a particular Telia router that provided peering for some VM customers, end result being lots of extra lag at peak times for those VM customers that went via that route. Personally though I haven't had any problems playing on my VM connection.

Pings shown in game aren't realistic mind. For instance my latency as shown in game (this is to a server in their Frankfurt data centre) right now is around 270ms. However if I ping the last hop that responds to ICMP requests, again some bit of Telia kit somewhere in Frankfurt, it's averaging around 60ms.